PDA

View Full Version : Mirror-Lube..... worth trying?

FN in MT
11-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Recently came across a few 12 stick cases of Mirror-Lube, solid sticks in a gray foil wrapper. They have to be at least 20 years old.

So the five or six pounds that I have....should I use it as IS for handgun loads? Possibly mix it with some LAR's lube? Or...???

Any ideas appreciated.

Hope everyone is having a Happy Thanksgiving.

FN in MT

HeavyMetal
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I have seen photo's of this stuff but never had a chance to try any.

Mixing it seems to suggest a lot of work, instead I'd try it out in some target loads for 38 or 45.

If it worked there I'd bump up to a magnum load and see what happened. Once you figure out it's working range you'll have a better handle on what you can do with it.

Seems that 24 sticks would do a bunch of 45 boolits. if you try it out keep us posted, curious as to how well it works.

FN in MT
11-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Drop me an address by PM or whatever and I'll send a few sticks out tommorow.

FN in MT

Buckshot
11-28-2008, 01:47 AM
...............I know Dean Grennel liked it. He also liked Lithi-Bee, but it was hard to get. I don't think it's made any longer either.

...............Buckshot

shotman
11-28-2008, 03:27 AM
wasnt that the stuff that was brittle? I had something that was in foil that you had to use a heater on. Later if you droped the boolit on the floor the lube would break out like wax. I guess if you got in case woulnt matter rick

memeengr
11-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I have used mirror lube for a 41 Mag & 9 mm with great sucess.

In fact I am currently attempting to locate a supplier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the oppurtunity.

ReloaderFred
11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
At one time, Mirror Lube and Javalina Lube were the most common lubes available. I still have some of both and one of my sizers is loaded with it all the time, but I seldom use it these days. Now I prefer heated lubes for most of my lubing, since I bulk pack my bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Nasty Ned
02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Mirror Lube was a division of American Specialty Lubricants and unfortunately they are, no more.

This is the best lube I have ever used for target pistol loads thru magnum rifle loads. I never had any leading problems using this lube. I'm down to my last few sticks of the solid stuff that I feed to my Star Resizer. Been loading since 1958 and have used about 17 jillion (slight exaggeration) kinds of lube and found Mirror Lube to be the very best. And, it doesn't fall off.