PDA

View Full Version : Restocked with Primers

Thin Man
06-09-2020, 06:38 AM
Yesterday a long time friend gave me a call to say that he was getting out of shooting and handloading because of his poor health. His shoulders are so worn out that he cannot lift a firearm and overall he is very weak. To settle his properties he offered to sell me his stash of primers, the one component I am having trouble finding now. I went straight over to his home and found he already had all of his primers huddled together - all 40K of them! There were large and small rifle and handgun primers, a total of 6 sealed cartons of 5K each, plus just over 2K total quantity of loose 100 count trays. All of these containers were clean and crisp from careful storage. Before I could make him an offer to buy them he announced his price to me - 1 cent per primer, a total of $400 for all of these. We have been friends for a while but I didn't realize we were that good of friends. Yes, I bought the entire lot with plans to share these with our older son-in-law who is just now starting into handloading. Its time to get busy at the reloading bench.

richhodg66
06-09-2020, 07:16 AM
Deals like that are good to find. I think I'm set for a while, but I was always on the look out at gun shows and such for primers.

Hossfly
06-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Wow that’s about 1/3 price for new primers, I’ve never had older primers fail, if kept at good temperature and conditioned space. Yep you got good deal, friends like that are few and far between.

EMC45
06-09-2020, 08:31 AM
You did well

Dusty Bannister
06-09-2020, 10:39 AM
Sounds like a three way win. He got the primers out of the way and knows they will be used and appreciated. You got a heck of a deal on primers you will be using. And the Son in Law, just got a large helping hand from an older shooter and his Dad in Law.

Texas by God
06-09-2020, 10:57 AM
The only primers better than that are free ones!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Prcshooter
06-09-2020, 10:59 AM
You have to appreciate a person who is willing to pay it forward. Your friend is a good man

kevin c
06-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Sad hearing that a long time shooter has to hang it up. Good hearing that he's gone to the trouble to help others keep on shooting.

Winger Ed.
06-09-2020, 11:56 AM
My Dad would call that - a deal where everybody wins.

fredj338
06-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Well done, though I might have offered a friend 2c per primer.