PDA

View Full Version : cast bullet reloading manual??

RyanJames170
06-08-2020, 11:42 PM
so besides the Lyman Manual is there any others out there that have good data in them?

WHITETAIL
06-08-2020, 11:48 PM
yes, speer, hornady,nosler.:cbpour:

ascast
06-08-2020, 11:50 PM
rcbs book is good also

Dusty Bannister
06-09-2020, 12:31 AM
If you are speaking about cast bullet data, then the Lyman manuals, the RCBS Cast Bullet manual and the Lee manuals are a collection of all powder manufacturers data. The data in the Lee manual is a bit sparse on bullet information and cartridge OAL specifics.

RU shooter
06-09-2020, 06:20 AM
The Accurate powders manual has a lot of cast bullet loads for different rifle and pistol calibers

lotech
06-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Lyman remains the best by far whether it's the cast bullet manual or the regular manual that has cast bullet data. I don't know how many manuals RCBS has published; I have #1 and it is all RCBS data using their moulds. Not a big book, but useful. I don't have any new Speer books, but #13 has some handgun cast bullet loads using RCBS moulds. Be cautious with the Lee data- information on the bullet used is often sketchy and they may not have tested the data. Another source may have done that.

Bent Ramrod
06-09-2020, 10:59 AM
The Cast Bullet Association has a giant compendium of cast boolit making and loading data “for beginner and expert.” No substitute for a basic loading manual, but once you’ve read one of those and want to experiment further, the CBA book is very good.

Patrick L
06-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Modern Reloading, by Richard Lee, has lots of cast data. I don't know if I agree with everything he says (he seems to think he has figured out a lot more than everyone else, or at least in his mind) but no denying the data is there.

ABJ
06-09-2020, 03:59 PM
My go to manual first is lyman 4th cast. After that I look at the powder mfg. manuals. I think I own at least 40 different ones from the late 60's to current. If you are working the top end then the powder mfg. manuals is the one I pay the most attention to. I do use all the others and have found some good combinations but a fellow would do well with just Lyman 4th cast manual for run of the mill loads.
Tony

mdi
06-09-2020, 04:09 PM
There is a difference between the dedicated cast bullet texts/manuals and a reloading manual that includes cast bullet data. While there are several texts on casting bullets, Lyman by far is the most popular. More than just load data there is info on the actual casting methods, alloying, sizing, lube, reloading, and shooting before the actual load data (recipes)...

Winger Ed.
06-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Lyman is the 900 pound gorilla.
Not just for the data, there's other articles in there about other aspects of shooting cast that are good to know.

gwpercle
06-09-2020, 05:27 PM
1.)Lyman puts out several (about 8 or 9 ) different manuals , if you are new to casting and looking for cast boolit data then the one you want is the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition ... nothing but lead loads in this one .
In this manual are 16 additional Chapters with a wealth of information on all aspects of casting .

2.)If you can find one , the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition also has a wealth of information on cast bullets not repeated in the newer 4th Edition .

3.)The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual number 1 is another cast only book .

These three manuals and info from Accurate Arms , web site - free reloading guide- or new manual, make up my first go-to sources of cast boolit load data .
Older Speer manuals contain some cast data and some with swaged lead boolits ... some manuals , from the days when cast boolits were popular, contain a surprising amount .
Gary

RyanJames170
06-09-2020, 08:06 PM
i was basically looking to find something to add to my lyman #4 because there is a few things it don't have in it.

what all is the CBA handbook as far as load data? basicly looking for more data. for pistol powders i have on hand, and bullets too

.455 Webley
06-09-2020, 08:17 PM
I will add Pet Loads to the mix. Not specifically a cast book but it has lots of good cast data. More then any modern general reloading manual. It's a big book and not cheap but it's worth it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-09-2020, 11:32 PM
I'll add my 2¢ in here.

Yes Lyman #4 is top notch and is first on my list.

When I'm looking for more data using other powders than Lyman lists, I will go to the RCBS, then the Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual, then Lee's second ed, then Hodgdon manual, then Alliant manual.

RyanJames170
06-10-2020, 12:38 AM
Isn’t the RCBS a old out of print manual?

BigEyeBob
06-10-2020, 04:18 AM
Lyman # 3 cast boolit manual ,my
no 1, I got a reprint .

NyFirefighter357
06-10-2020, 05:44 AM
Download Lyman cast bullet 3rd edition

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Bullet%20Casting/Lyman%20Cast%20Bullet%20Handbook%20-%203rd%20Edition%20-%201980%20-%20Reduce.pdf

Download Lee first edition Modern Reloading

https://ia801808.us.archive.org/15/items/Modern_Reloading_1st_Edition_by_Richard_Lee/Modern_Reloading_1st_Edition_by_Richard_Lee.pdf

Download Handloaders Digest

http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/handloaders-Digest-1962-S.pdf

nicholst55
06-10-2020, 07:15 AM
The NRA put out a cast bullet manual (and one supplement) many years ago. I have a copy, but I don't think it's still available from them. Here's a link to it, and you can download it:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/225468029/Cast-Bullets-by-Col-E-H-Harrison-NRA-1979

Rich/WIS
06-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Prefer the Lyman #3 but it does not have data for many of the newer cartridges, the Lyman #4 does. The NRA cast books don't have very much data but are worth it for the technical data.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-10-2020, 10:35 AM

Yes, I think the printing was 1986. I believe there was only one printing.
There are several on Amazon right now, in the $20 range.

BigAlofPa.
06-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Lyman's 3rd and 4th.

dragon813gt
06-10-2020, 12:58 PM
I only care about the load data. There’s plenty of info online about reloading and casting bullets. Some of it is a lot better than what’s in the printed manuals. Since all I care about is data the first book I pick up is Lee’s. They’ve gathered all the data and put it into one convenient book.

15meter
06-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Phil Sharpe's book from the 30's-40's is also a great reference for gallery loads. Long out of print but available on the used market.

Watch price, there are incredibly greedy people out there--current spread in price on Amazon is from $50 to over $900.

He has a lot of cast loads, some of the powders are now obsolete, but there are enough of the old bullseye/unique variety to help.

Ken Water's Pet Loads was also mentioned, not a cast load manual, but he quite often would list a cast load for the cartridges he was writing about. And he wrote about a whole bunch of cartridges in his career. That book is still available, not inexpensive but to me it is worth the money.

And at the bottom of this page there are links to other sites with a bunch of data, CBA, Castpics and LASC. Troll through those sites and you may find what you are looking for.

ABJ
06-10-2020, 05:07 PM
I forgot about the Ken Waters Pet Loads, Great book, not so much for the data but his thoughts on which powders with certain weight ranges of bullets as well as powders for cast loads. His insights from so many load testing sessions are priceless. Well worth the price of the book.
Tony

gwpercle
06-10-2020, 05:25 PM

I don't consider 1986 as being " OLD" ... out of print maybe but not "OLD" ... and just what exactly is wrong with being old....?
There is one on Amazon for $89.98 but that price is a little steep for my my old pocket book ...
I'm sure you young guys think that's chump change .
Gary

RyanJames170
06-10-2020, 07:51 PM
I don't consider 1986 as being " OLD" ... out of print maybe but not "OLD" ... and just what exactly is wrong with being old....?
There is one on Amazon for $89.98 but that price is a little steep for my my old pocket book ...
I'm sure you young guys think that's chump change .
Gary

nah 89.98 for me is a bit expensive to be honest.