PDA

View Full Version : Venison Italian Sausage Recipe?

cabezaverde
11-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Anybody have one that they can share?

Bodydoc447
11-29-2008, 12:17 AM
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
1 1/2 pounds venison
1/2 pound fatty pork butt, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
casings 32 mm hog or 36 mm collagen

Shortening, to lubricate nozzle of stuffer

Special equipment: meat grinder with stuffing attachment or manual stuffer

Toast fennel seed in medium sized, heavy saute pan over medium heat, constantly moving seeds around in pan until they start to turn light brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cool, grind seeds and combine with salt, pepper, and chopped parsley in medium mixing bowl. Add pork and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Using the fine blade of a grinder, grind the venison and pork fat. After lubricating stuffer or stuffing attachment with shortening, load casing onto attachment, clipping end with a clothespin. Stuff meat into casings, trying to avoid air pockets. After stuffing is finished lay out on counter and tie off end. Pinch and twist to form 4-inch sausages. Wrap in butcher paper and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Store in refrigerator for use within 2 to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing, wrap in aluminum foil. If using immediately, saute over medium heat in a heavy saute pan with 1/4-inch of water. Bring water to boil, put on lid and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking over medium heat, turning every 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Sausage should reach an internal temperature of 150 to 156 degrees F.

fatnhappy
11-29-2008, 06:06 PM
If you're looking for prepackaged seasonings, I just buy the AC Legg Hot italian sausage seasoning from butcher packer. IIRC it's something on the order of $4 for enough to do 25# of sausage. If you want to buy spices locally try Stuart Spices on Lyell Ave. He'll put together a Italian sausage seasoning for based on the amount of sausage you intend to make. So ifin you have 38 pounds of sausage meat after adding 30% pork fat to your grind, he'll adjust the measurements accordingly. The people at Stuart's are salt of the earth.

Anyways, here's the recipe I use for 25# (it's from Rytek Kutas and pretty good)

7 oz Kosher salt
2 pints of ice water
1/2 oz ground fennel seed
1 oz coarse black pepper
1 oz sugar
1/2 oz crushed hot peppers
1/4 oz caraway seeds
1/4 oz coriander
17 pounds of venison
8 pounds of pork fat

I use a 1/4' grind plate and 32mm hog casings. frequently I'll save a couple pounds and feeze it sans the casings to use for topping homeade pizza or adding to spaghetti or Lasagna. YMMV

Bullshop
11-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Sweet sausage is for sissies, put some peppers in it.
Just made up a 20lb batch last week. I use the Rytek recipe but besides the crushed red pepper I added jalepenoes and tabasco. Still not enough so next time its gonna get some habenaro.
BIC/BS