PDA

View Full Version : Do they still make these????

abunaitoo
06-06-2020, 05:34 PM
I don't think so, but never know.
Plug in car heat.
It still works.

I know they don't make these anymore.
Young people might not know what it is.

pcolapaddler
06-06-2020, 06:15 PM
I had a 12v heater. It didn't put out enough to provide heat for a match box much less a car. I believe that I ditched it.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

MT Gianni
06-06-2020, 06:27 PM
I have never seen one. Had a few of the bottom players but have not seen a used one this century. I thought you were referring to a plug in 120 V heater to warm a car in the winter.

Winger Ed.
06-06-2020, 06:32 PM
I'd never seen one.

Of the cars that even have a lighter any more, it would probably be on a 20amp fuse.
I guess it would plug into the new generation 'power port' but typically, they're on a 20 amp fuse too.

With a heater & fan both, I would expect it would only work to much of a degree if held your hand on it.

CastingFool
06-06-2020, 06:33 PM
Ha, my parents had someone break in, some years ago, and one of the few things that got stolen was some 8 track tapes they had.

KCSO
06-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Used one in the 67 VW which had an awful heater.

cwtebay
06-06-2020, 07:30 PM
Yes, look in places specializing in UTV/side by side accessories. I have one for mine that works well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
06-06-2020, 10:03 PM
The heater is so small, I doubt it would keep you warm when it snows.
It does blow warm air.
8 tracks were great.

flyingmonkey35
06-06-2020, 10:09 PM
They still make 12volt car heaters.

They still suck.

You can still buy 8 tracks and tapes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SAHTFE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PWe3EbK1598EK

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NyFirefighter357
06-06-2020, 11:47 PM
https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL-681-Direct-Hook-Up-Ceramic/dp/B01F12F4KM

https://www.amazon.com/Sedeta-Heater-heater-defroster-vehicles/dp/B078RMV4Q3

wv109323
06-07-2020, 01:55 AM
I remember the 8 track tape case I had. It was about 8" x 8" and 20 inches long. It had imitation alligator skin as a covering.

abunaitoo
06-07-2020, 02:35 AM
I remember the 8 track tape case I had. It was about 8" x 8" and 20 inches long. It had imitation alligator skin as a covering.

I had one just like that.

abunaitoo
06-07-2020, 02:38 AM
Looking at the amazon listings, I saw something that looks like it.
It's used for defrosting the windshield.
Now that makes sense.
I think it would work well for that.

smithnframe
06-07-2020, 06:59 AM
You can still buy 8 track tapes.......not sure about the tape decks though.

ioon44
06-07-2020, 08:39 AM
I still have an old real to real with a 8 track and 8 track tapes, I should dig it out and see if it still works.

bangerjim
06-07-2020, 01:49 PM
I guess I was ahead of my time. Back when everybody was hot on 8T tapes in their cars, I had a Craig stereo under-dash player! I worked in a stereo store and had access to many current release "demo" record albums, so I would record them to cassettes and have excellent sound in the car. 8T's have horrible frequency response! I still have a home stereo 8T recorder/player! But the capstan belt, as with most of the 70's and 80's stuff, is rotten. Not worth fixing to me. Just a conversation piece sitting on a storage shed shelf.

Friends back in college that drove Beetles generally had one of those heaters because the cold Midwest winters were a challenge to VW heaters, if they existed at all! Froze my keister off many times going to keggers! Thank goodness for the "antifreeze" I had in my blood stream.

banger

shooterg
06-07-2020, 05:28 PM
I tried one of "defrost" thingies when I had a Bug. Still had to hang my my head out the window !

fiberoptik
06-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Looking at the amazon listings, I saw something that looks like it.
It's used for defrosting the windshield.
Now that makes sense.
I think it would work well for that.

Harbor freight sells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
06-07-2020, 08:20 PM
I tried one of "defrost" thingies when I had a Bug. Still had to hang my my head out the window !

Colder inside the bug [emoji218] than outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk42gunner
06-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Back in the day I had several vehicles that the heater core leaked on so they got bypassed in the summer. Anything that gave of even a smidgen of heat would have been welcome in the winter.

Robert

ACC
06-07-2020, 11:19 PM
Plug in car heat.
It still works.

Harbor Freight still carries one.

ACC

Scrounge
06-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Plug in car heat.
It still works.

You can get 12VDC car heaters from Harbor Freight for about $10. I bought one for my truck, as the fan is flaking out, and I'm too lazy to pull the dash apart to get to it. Haven't actually taken it out of the package yet. My first portable music that I could chose what I listed to was a battery operated 8-track tape deck. Once upon a time, I had a slide of a seagull standing there on the beach listening to Jonathan Livingston Seagull's BE from the Neil Diamond album. When I finally got a car a couple of years later, I put an 8-track deck just like yours in my 63 Impala SS. One of the things I WISH I still had! Not the tape deck, the car!;) Want in one hand...

bedbugbilly
06-08-2020, 10:39 AM
I doubt that kids today would even know what an 8 track was. A number of years go, my wife and I had a barn sale and we put in a box of our left over 8 track tapes, thinking that someone might still have a player and wan them. Younger folks showed up throughout the day and one of the questions that was asked was 'what are these"? - as they pointed to the box of 8 track tapes.

For over thirty five years, I was a professional storyteller - did "first person" programs not he Civil War and early Michigan history. One of my programs was entitled "Daylight In The Swamp" - about life in and early Michigan lumber camp - my "persona" was "Bedbugbilly". As a part of the program, I took in and old Victrola record player, cranked it up and would grab one of the lady teachers and take her out on the floor to dance to show the kids how we often "kicked up our heels" on a Saturday night. The teachers enjoyed it and the kids got a kick out of it. I was doing an upper elementary school one time and when we got done dancing and at the end of the program when I would answer questions from the kids, one little gal raised her hand and asked, "What was that black round thing you put on that machine?". It hit me then as to how old I was as most of the kids had never seen a "record" before.

skrapyard628
06-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Im a bit younger (35), but still have some 8track tapes. Back in the 90s everyone was cutting up the dashboards on cars from the 70s so they could install cassette tape or cd player radios and I couldnt force myself to hack up the dash on a nice car. Most of the vehicles I bought had dash cutouts that fit 8track players so I kept a few working ones around.

Lots of good memories sitting in the staging lanes at the drag strip in the early 2000s with Boston or CCR playing on the 8track while I was waiting to get to the front of the line.

I did get a lot of questions from some of my friends at the time about what the heck the giant tapes were that I plug into my radio. Even then in the late 90s people my age had no clue what they were.

Ickisrulz
06-08-2020, 01:21 PM
8 Track tapes were horrible. They'd split songs in two so you'd have a break while listening. They were very large too.

I love the electronic age. I have hundreds of albums in each vehicle on thumb drives.

jsizemore
06-08-2020, 04:08 PM
I saw a Realistic 8 track player hook to a console record/AM/FM stereo at an estate sell this past weekend. Band of Gypsys changed tracks in the middle of Machine Gun. 8 track had to go. Console was fine for Perry Como, Nat King Cole and Frank.....Sinatra not Zappa.

We rigged a reel to reel in the van and buddy's dart. Popped rivets and welds with Dark Side of the Moon.

Mk42gunner
06-08-2020, 07:50 PM
The worst part about 8-track tape players was that you never had any warning of just when it would go silent and start eating the tape.

Robert