PDA

View Full Version : Taurus G2c - Is it any good?

Hrfunk
06-05-2020, 08:32 AM
Here's my review of the G2c. Let me know what you think of it.

Howard

https://youtu.be/J1gWWXBqkqY

BigAlofPa.
06-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Nice review. I have the PT 111 and 140. I like them both.

Hrfunk
06-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Nice review. I have the PT 111 and 140. I like them both.

Thank you! About 8 or 10 years ago, I saw a PT111 essentially self-destruct on the range. That made me a bit leery going into this review. I have to say I was quite pleasntly surprised. Thanks for watching!

Howard

lar45
06-07-2020, 11:47 AM
This is exactly what I was looking for. My youngest son turned 21 and we're going to go through the CC class together, I accidentally let mine expire oops, So I need something for him to carry or just to pack in his car for emergencies. I may see if I can find a micro light/laser to mount on the rail.

Thanks

BigAlofPa.
06-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Im going to take mine out for a spin later today. It's been awhile since i shot them. And Howard your welcome. You do a great job with reviews.

Rick Hodges
06-07-2020, 01:21 PM
My brother has been carrying his since last fall. He has the stainless slide on his and has been very happy with it. I have been spoiled by the Shield I have been carrying and don't like the added thickness and weight that comes with the 12 round double stacked magazine.
Nice review.

rintinglen
06-07-2020, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Howard. Although not a gun near my wheel house, I appreciate your review. I have had good experiences with Taurus center fire revolvers, but not their pistols. That one looks like a goodie, especially for the money. I don't think it will replace my Shield, nor my Kahr, but It seems to be a reasonably accurate, inexpensive, reliable pistol for the "capacity-is-king" crowd.

charlie b
06-07-2020, 06:26 PM
What about differences between the Taurus and the Skky?

plowboysghost
06-07-2020, 09:44 PM
Yes, the G2c is a good gun.
Just bought a couple of G3's, and so far I like them a lot.

Idaho45guy
06-08-2020, 04:27 AM
Bought a G2c a couple of years ago out of curiosity and apparently got some weird anomaly of one with an infuriating trigger. Halfway through the pull, there is a "catch" that is annoying as heck.

Yes, the trigger pull is long, but not bad. But that weird catch just ruins the gun for me. I actually bought an aftermarket stainless striker channel guide to try and mitigate it, but it didn't help. Took apart the pistol and have used a file to try and eliminate the issue, but it refuses to go away.

It also has one of the worst slide finishes I have ever seen on a pistol. Worse than spray paint in it's durability. I've been tempted to buy another one with a stainless slide, but I really don't need one. The Taurus is now relegated to back up gun duty and gets occasionally tossed in a bag as emergency back up.

Great ergonomics and 100% reliability with mediocre accuracy. A very solid $200 pistol.

Love your videos and finally subscribed!

Hrfunk
06-08-2020, 08:34 AM
Yes, the G2c is a good gun.
Just bought a couple of G3's, and so far I like them a lot.

I have had a couple of people ask me to review the G3. I would like to get ahold of one and try it out!

Idaho45guy - Thanks for the sub!

Howard

BigAlofPa.
06-08-2020, 09:38 AM
What about differences between the Taurus and the Skky?

I have a Sccy 9mm. Taurus 111 much better. Sccy trigger is heavy.

GLynn41
06-08-2020, 06:50 PM
I own one auto and it is a G2 and it has not missed up in any way. I really like it because of the feel and now because it performs so well. It has not had even a bobble when shooting single handed and left handed. Next I will move toward cast in mine but that is still in the future
I would recommend it.

FergusonTO35
06-10-2020, 04:34 PM
The G2C is the best selling gun at my side job shop, in fact it outsells everything made by Glock combined. We have customers who come back for a second or third one. I really don't get the appeal of the Sccy for the same price: heavy DAO trigger and oddly shaped grip. Plus, the G2C has screw adjustable rear sights.

serger
06-11-2020, 09:28 AM
What drew me to the G2C was the ability to use SIG P226/P229 magazines.I found it fit my hand exactly like my S&W Shield. It also can use the Shields leather holster. The trigger on mine isn't gritty, just long. I shoot my revolvers almost exclusively double action and the G2C has the long pull I associate with double action revolver work.

Because it feels just like the Shield, point-ability is the same. During the winter of 2017-2018 I dry fired my Shield for 100 repetitions every other day at a 2x2 Post-It 55 feet across my basement. That and subsequent dry fire allows me to present the pistol at a target with my eyes shut and when I open my eyes the sights are on target. The G2C does the same thing.

I've only had it since 5 March 20 and have shot 540 rounds of mixed commercial, my cast reloads and range pickup. It's fed everything I've given it and not jammed yet. I need to shoot it another 1000 rounds or so before I put it in the carry rotation. I am happy with it.

Last things. When I got the G2C I was looking at a SIG P365. The Taurus was less than 1/2 of the SIG's price. Once I picked it up it felt exactly like the Shield I was carrying with 50% more ammunition. I had to try it and am glad I did. the fact it also uses P226/P229 mags is just a perk.