PDA

View Full Version : Ok for bear?

brewer12345
06-04-2020, 09:21 PM
I drew a rifle bear tag for September. I have a few options for what gun to use, but figured a gut check on one option would be helpful. I have a 3006 round developed that is a proven deer round and I want to make sure it would be enough for a bear. This is a 200 grain cast boolit with a big .19 meplat doing 1900 fps or so out of the muzzle. Sound ok out to 100 yards on a black bear?

csitas
06-05-2020, 10:54 AM
In my book bear are easier than deer. I'm an older bow hunter and have ,over the years killed a few blackies. With an arrow ,shoot only a broadside shot, you need both lungs. If so hit with a broadhead, maybe 40 or fifty feet and down. I can't see a bullet any different if used in this way. It is demanded that you get both lungs, as you'll not likely recover a poorly hit animal. They are very though and can go for miles on end on half of their functions. Shooting over bait can be different for a first timer. Main thing is to be calm and very quiet. Your not going to fool the bear, he knows your there. You just have to prove your not a threat.

flint45
06-05-2020, 09:08 PM
With a well placed shot you should be fine.