PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Vs. Lyman primer hole reamers?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Does anybody own either of these two sets and can make recommendations on them or better yet, comparisons between the two? I'm wanting to use them with my RCBS Trim Mate and don't need the handles. Also, does any one know of a source for the Hornady set besides Midway or Hornady? I want the set, but don't want to pay the high shipping prices. I'd rather buy from a small vendor where I can get them to mail it to me in a bubble pack envelope.

thanks,

Dave

First, the Hornady kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=804809

Second, the Lyman kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=435089

Recommendations and a retailer would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

stiles
11-27-2008, 10:25 PM
grafs has 1 full hornady kit in stock when I looked earlier today.

Hardcast416taylor
11-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I have found you can just buy the RCBS flash hole reamer/cutter rod without the handle at Midway for$10.99 or Midsouth for $7.52 :coffee:

runfiverun
11-29-2008, 03:19 PM
the lyman will screw onto the rcbs machine.
it makes pretty good hollow points too till you break it.

Pepe Ray
11-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Could there be a communication problem here?

There's a world of difference between 'flash hole reamers' VS. 'primer pocket reamers.'

Frankly I could never understand the need for Primer pocket reamers because I've always used fired cases. But, I suppose when buying NEW cases you can find the occasional tight pocket, right?
Pepe Ray

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Pepe Ray,

good point, had a brain fart the day I posted this - have corrected to read primer pocket reamer now.

BTW, primer pocket "reamers" are mainly for removing military crimps, not cleaning up the pocket, which is what primer pocket "cleaners" are for.

Regards,

Dave

frank_1947
12-01-2008, 12:59 AM
I got a error on both your links I was interested in what you found I just reamed 200 .223s my friggen hands hurt, I use a drill and a lynman reamer the kit I think is 12 bucks , I saw a RCBS Pocket Swager that looks like it would be nice works on single stage press but I went to cabelas and read reviews not so good, but it would be nice if it works, think I will buy it if it breaks as they said in reviews I will just send it back, has anyone used thismidway number is 447-022

jonk
12-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I have a primer pocket reamer by Lyman. Works ok. Not nearly as well as my RCBS primer pocket swager though. Much less hassle.

I've done a few thousand rounds on it and in general am quite happy. My only complaint is sometimes the swager leaves a ring of brass that you have to pick out with a dental pick.

Also, def. not for a Lee challenger.

frank_1947
12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
jonk,

good I will but that swager now that I have heard from you about the reviews I read were not so great

vernm
12-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi Dave,

I have used the Lyman for several years. I like it. The handle is bigger so you can use your whole hand to turn the tool rather than just your fingers with the Hornady. Not a real consideration for you since you plan to mount it in your prep station.

Not sure, but the picture of the Hornady looks like the flute may be straighter than the Lyman. The Lyman may be more curved and would put more of a radius on the rim of the primer pocket rather than a bevel.

It is possible to ream the pocket more than necessary. Just watch for the radius to appear and you should seat primers easily.

Vern in Dawsonville

ETA: You can save several dollars on the set if you purchse from MidSouth.