PDA

View Full Version : wolf encounter this morning

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2020, 07:25 AM
went for a walk with the wife and dog at the crack of dawn. it was still not quite daylight when we came around a corner and there was a wolf standing on the trail. I hear them all the time but its the first one ive actually seen on that trail. I yelled at it and it stood its ground. The dog would normally run up to his new buddy but he knew better and hid behind me. I drew my Kimber just in case and yelled again and it took off. My wife always laughs at me for taking a gun along. She wasn't laughing today! I don't carry it for bear (which there is a lot of in that area) and for sure not for wolves. I carry it for the most part because the trail comes out on lake superior and we walk the beach for about a mile and we get a lot of low income transient people coming through that camp on the beach for the night to avoid paying campground fees. Worse then ever this year because the campgrounds haven't been open. Had to chuckle. When we came home the wife asked me where the holster was for her lc9!

Lakehouse2012
06-04-2020, 07:50 AM
That's an amazing story, and good thing you were packin.

I also know we have them, but unless you have a real contact, it's hard to explain how dominant the animals are...

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

snowwolfe
06-04-2020, 08:08 AM
They sure can scare the bejusus out of a person. My son and I were moose hunting up off the Koyukuk river above Huslia a few years back. We were having good luck calling in a bull and he was only about 30 yards away but in brush so thick we couldn't yet see him. All of a sudden we were surrounded by a pack of wolves that found the same moose and wanted it for dinner. They were yelping and howling to each other as a signal and the hair on the back of our necks stood up! The bull bolted and the wolves followed. I was glad of that as for a minute thought we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. At that moment in time it was the most scared I had even been.

Scrounge
06-04-2020, 08:13 AM
went for a walk with the wife and dog at the crack of dawn. it was still not quite daylight when we came around a corner and there was a wolf standing on the trail. I hear them all the time but its the first one ive actually seen on that trail. I yelled at it and it stood its ground. The dog would normally run up to his new buddy but he knew better and hid behind me. I drew my Kimber just in case and yelled again and it took off. My wife always laughs at me for taking a gun along. She wasn't laughing today! I don't carry it for bear (which there is a lot of in that area) and for sure not for wolves. I carry it for the most part because the trail comes out on lake superior and we walk the beach for about a mile and we get a lot of low income transient people coming through that camp on the beach for the night to avoid paying campground fees. Worse then ever this year because the campgrounds haven't been open. Had to chuckle. When we came home the wife asked me where the holster was for her lc9!

All in all, I'd say a positive outcome! You got to see one of God's more impressive creatures, you all were safe, and your wife is now seeing the wisdom of carrying. I do have to wonder how many wolves you did not see?

Markopolo
06-04-2020, 08:48 AM
i have seen quite a few of them lately... as the deer are getting ready to drop their fawns, the wolves are moving in as well as the bears to get their share of things... the deer love to work the sides of the 1 road we have going north and south on our island as that always has the most grazing. it becomes a killing area for our wolves and bears...

the wife took this picture day before yesterday...

fish and game here says over 95% of the known countable wolves on our huge island were killed by trapping last winter.... in a rain forest, there is no way to get a good count. i say 95% of the unknown wolves are still alive and living normal lives chowing on the deer population...

bedbugbilly
06-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Used to go through Munising often as my wife ws born and raised in L'Anse and I am a berry picking troll from down state. Her Dad was a forester out of the Baraga office yers ago - used to go deer hunting every fall up in the L'Anse area but never had the adventure of seeing a wolf. My wife said that when she was small and with her Dad in the woods on his rounds, they saw a couple at different times but not a common sight back then. I'm glad the encounter turned out fine, especially with your dog being there. Beautiful country up there and nothn=g any prettier than Lake Superior!

IHuntDragons
06-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Sounds like the best possible outcome. Everyone came home safe, and the wife is interested in carrying.

Rick Hodges
06-04-2020, 01:02 PM
I hunt NE of L'Anse in the Huron Mts. We hear the wolves as we settle into blinds in the predawn. See them on occasion, see what little remains of their kills too. There are bears in the area but never ran across one. Walking out of the woods at dark when the wolves are active makes me glad I carry a pistol while bowhunting.

MT Gianni
06-04-2020, 02:36 PM
In MT they are often most active when game is bedded, around 10 AM to 2 PM.

Teddy (punchie)
06-04-2020, 03:46 PM
All I can say is wolf or wild dogs are bad news. My dad recalls his dad expressing to him about wild dogs back in Romania. This would have been before guns of any account. Using never aim for Head aim for the body, with a club or staff etc.

Idaho45guy
06-05-2020, 12:51 AM
Nice encounter! I've seen only two, and both times I was in a vehicle. Had some come down and investigate me and my dog while camping in the woods. Never saw them, but found the sign about an hour after they left. My dog was going nuts sniffing where they were and marking territory.