PDA

View Full Version : Star Lubesizer, original vs Magma ?

JFE
11-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Are there any material differences between original Star Lubesizers and those that are currently made by Magma ?

I'm trying work out whether it's worth trying to find a good used original or buying a new Magma made unit.

Appreciate your views.

Cheers,

Joe

cajun shooter
11-27-2008, 09:20 AM
JFE, I had my first Star in 1972; just purchased a Magma This year. I cannot see any difference in the two. I was told by Magma that they built them from Star prints. Eary Stars had a set screw that held sizing die, that has been re moved. I looked for a Star and refused to pay $300 for a used machine when I could buy new for $250. Buy your sizing dies from lathesmith on this site.

JFE
11-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Cajun - thanks your comments.

FWIW I asked Magma also and their response was :

"we added two "O" rings in the die area as they tend to leak a little lube as they "grow older" otherwise it is the same machine. It is hard to make something better that was very good to begin with!"

rockrat
11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
So I guess the old star I saw a couple of weeks ago for $100 with a .452 die was a good buy?

Jon K
11-30-2008, 09:15 PM
rockrat,

And................you didn't buy it.......for $100?

The least you could have done is told us where it was...............

Thanks,
Jon

rockrat
11-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Only seen a picture of one, never in person. Had no idea what it was worth. Came "that" close to getting it. Live and learn, I guess