PDA

View Full Version : Finally, my first 1911 is in my hands!

Idaho45guy
06-04-2020, 12:19 AM
Ordered it via Gunbroker on 14th of May and was finally able to pick it up today.

It was worth the wait. Absolutely floored by the fit and finish. Slide to frame fit is superb and the slide racks like it's on ball bearings. Exceeded my expectations for a 1911 at this price point.

It's a Remington 1911 R1 Limited in .40 S&W.

Remington doesn't offer them anymore and instead has the "Enhanced" model. A gun shop had a bunch of them in stock and the MSRP was $1200. Found a few for around $900 on Bud's Guns and other places. This shop was getting rid of them for $549. Plus there is a current rebate for $50, so $499 for a loaded up 1911 that appears to be as nice as those costing twice as much.

There is no rattle like I recall with the old GI models and virtually no play in the slide to frame fit. Trigger is a little heavier, but no creep and breaks like glass. Probably around 5 lbs, but will have to get it home to test it.

Haven't shot it yet, since I literally picked it up on my lunch break, but will do a proper range report on my next day off, which is Sunday.

Leadmad
06-04-2020, 12:31 AM
Nice ! I hope you can wear it out haha

Tazlaw
06-04-2020, 04:00 AM
I recently got my first 1911. Nothing like owning one!

smithnframe
06-04-2020, 07:16 AM
Very nice!

kbstenberg
06-04-2020, 07:26 AM
At that price i would have gotten one also.
You knew i want one. Why didn't you let me in on the secret??? Kevin

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Only 1911 I had was a double stacked para ordanance and its kind of a stretch to call that a 1911. It did shoot and I allways wondered why 40s didn't catch on in 1911s when 9mms did. I think you got yourself a very cool 1911.

BigAlofPa.
06-04-2020, 07:59 AM
Awesome welcome to the hotel 1911. I just got my 11th one last week.

DougGuy
06-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Nice!!! You can't have too many 1911s! It is expressly forbidden to even contemplate how many is too many... I have a few, and I do count the Para 14 as a 1911 it's just a fat bottomed girl and we all know what Queen said about those.. :bigsmyl2:

Mine are on elevated risk duty currently, placed at strategic locations in multiple parts of the house, keeping the black rifle in good company. I'll be plenty glad when all this current unrest is over and done with.

Edit: Oh BTW, pull the barrel as you are giving it the initial cleaning, and do the PLUNK test make sure your ammo will drop in and spin freely.

downzero
06-04-2020, 09:59 AM
Do yourself a favor and call Tripp Research and ask for the "Corey" mags for it.

Idaho45guy
06-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Thought I might have had trouble...

Got home after work and loaded up a factory mag and the Wilson Combat mag I bought for it and pulled the slide back to chamber a round and it got stuck; slide didn't want to go all the way forward. Tried both mags and both reloads with XTPs and the factory cheap stuff with round nose and it did it with both.

After trying to get pics of what was going on, it started doing it less and less and within a few magazines full, it stopped doing it.

Guess that's maybe a sign that the pistol was built to tighter tolerances?

Will have to take it to the range on my day off to see what happens, but pretty sure it will be OK after I fire a couple of boxes through it. Also plan on field-stripping it and checking the internals and doing a normal cleaning and lube.

I know with my P365, they advised racking the slide a bunch and stripping and cleaning everything before firing and it's been flawless.

BigAlofPa.
06-04-2020, 10:20 AM
My one 1911 was tight like your new one. Break yours down, Clean and lube it. Just be sure to hang onto the recoil spring plug as you remove it. They can fly if you don't. Im still missing one that took off lol. There is videos on youtube if your not sure on the brake down.

Groo
06-04-2020, 10:55 AM
Groo here
Run it with a lot of lube for a box or two to start.
Also , Tripp or Metalform for mags.
Never had much luck with Wilson, too light made, real steel is best...
Ps , 40 S&W is a might short for the 1911 but if it works !!!!!
Ps , a new barrel and you have a 357 sig,,,,, barrel and recoil spring and a 10mm!!!!!!!
PPS Some companies use the same cut for 40/10/357sig, 38 super AND 9mm,,, check with gun smith on yours..
SEE the 1911 can get some what addictive......

Bantou
06-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood. It is a much better group than the followers of black plastic (just like the guns) lol. I have two right now, a full sized and a compact, both in 45 acp. Hopefully I can add a 38 super to the list some day. Maybe if I leave then both side by side in the safe this winter they will spawn me a 38 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win94ae
06-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Cool! I have a Remington R1S in 45acp, and love it! That I can get parts, probably forever; makes it that much sweeter!

kens
06-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Be careful, they tend to multiply if left in a dark safe. If there is 2 of them, they certainly multiply and have offspring.

nueces5
06-04-2020, 02:18 PM
cute brunette!

Der Gebirgsjager
06-04-2020, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood. It is a much better group than the followers of black plastic (just like the guns) lol. I have two right now, a full sized and a compact, both in 45 acp. Hopefully I can add a 38 super to the list some day. Maybe if I leave then both side by side in the safe this winter they will spawn me a 38 lol.

I think .45s will beget .45s. You'll have to leave one of the .45s in the dark with a 9mm to get a .38 Super .......;)

BigAlofPa.
06-04-2020, 03:44 PM
38 super is a nice round. My 1st GI model is a 38 super. Sweet shooter. When someone ask me what 38 super is. I tell them it's a 9mm magnum.

KCSO
06-04-2020, 03:47 PM
I put away my old Remington Rand as soon as I could get my hands on the R1 and I carried that as a duty gun for years, totally reliable and accurate never a miss on a shoot or a qual. It acutally functioned BETTER than a $2000.00 custom gun.

You have a total winner.

Wisest.fool
06-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Took my wife to the range. When she had enough shooting her walther 9mm she asked me what i was shooting. I said its a 1911. She said can i try it. Of course i said. Then she shot about 200 rounds and i didn't get it back before the range closed.

Green Frog
06-05-2020, 08:52 AM
Congratulations to the OP on starting down the slippery slope... here’s hoping the bindings are tight on your skis! Currently I have three 45s, a hardball gun built for me by an old Navy gunsmith on an original 1911 frame, a custom fitted Series 70 Gold Cup upper married to an Ace frame from the same vintage, and a full custom “Fat Bottomed Girl” built on one of the last of the steel framed Para Ord kit frames from back in the ‘90s. I’ve owned nines and 38 Supers and even had a 38 Spl version at one time, but keep coming back to 45s and have never really been tempted by the 10 mm/40 S&W breed. I may have to change that some day just for the sake of completeness. :cool:

Froggie

Bantou
06-05-2020, 08:58 AM
I think .45s will beget .45s. You'll have to leave one of the .45s in the dark with a 9mm to get a .38 Super .......;)

Darn. Guess I’ll have to by a 9mm 1911 then so I can breed for a 38 super.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Ha!! My bid on a G34 fell through so I may have to go back to a 1911. Sold my old warhorse Trophy Match to my eldest and have been doing without. A full size steel 1911 is heavier than I want to carry but makes a great range tool. And they just beg for handloaded cast boolits.

DougGuy
06-07-2020, 12:07 PM
There's a certain magic, a certain cadence if you will, that a full size stock Gov't model 45 1911-A1 gives off when it's fired, best experienced with stock recoil springs and GI hardball equivalent loads, it's lazy, almost rhythmical, but very pleasing to the hand and to the mind. Yes there are other calibers but everyone who delves into the 1911 ought to experience this at least once, it's pretty much the reference standard pistol for the 45ACP round.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-07-2020, 01:47 PM
I know what you mean Doug. Back in the day my uncle had twin Gold Cups that had been gone over by Robby Barkman (sp?). Had buried Bomars and Barstow barrels. And the triggers had what Robby called "good creep". Those were the first 1911 I ever shot and they really made an impression. We were shooting with the State Line Combat Pistol League at the time in Southern Wisconsin in about 1980. Was a whole lotta fun.

Bantou
06-07-2020, 01:50 PM
Ha!! My bid on a G34 fell through so I may have to go back to a 1911. Sold my old warhorse Trophy Match to my eldest and have been doing without. A full size steel 1911 is heavier than I want to carry but makes a great range tool. And they just beg for handloaded cast boolits.

That’s why they make ultralight compacts. A little harder on the hands but a lot easier on the belt. My compact Colt will out shoot my full sized Springfield. Mostly because the Springfield Mil-Spec barrels are crap. I don’t compete though so I haven’t felt the need to replace it.

tazman
06-07-2020, 04:17 PM
Darn. Guess I’ll have to by a 9mm 1911 then so I can breed for a 38 super.

I've had a 1911 45scp and a 1911 9mm in the safe together for three years now. Still no 38super or other offspring.

Tazlaw
06-07-2020, 08:22 PM
I've had a 1911 45scp and a 1911 9mm in the safe together for three years now. Still no 38super or other offspring.

You’re probably opening the safe too often! Have ya tried a little “mood music”?

Lloyd Smale
06-08-2020, 06:42 AM
both brotherhoods im proud to be members of. Niether one makes me better then the other.

Baltimoreed
06-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Congrats on your first. JMB was the man. The trouble with 1911s is that they make or have made too many different ones. And they’re like potato chips, you just can’t eat just one or two. You gotta eat the whole bag. Think I’m up to 9.

DougGuy
06-08-2020, 08:35 PM
You’re probably opening the safe too often! Have ya tried a little “mood music”?

I was gonna suggest some Ol' Blue Eyes...... JS..

tazman
06-08-2020, 10:24 PM
I think I will try taking them out of their boxes and laying them side by side in a velvet lined drawer all by themselves and see what happens.

When I did that with my 686 and model 15, I ended up with a model 34. Interesting how that worked out.

Winger Ed.
06-08-2020, 10:58 PM

Music, soft lights, and a couple of cigarettes should do it.

Idaho45guy
06-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Took it out and shot it yesterday. 100% functioning with 2 boxes of plinking ammo (Speer Lawman and American Eagle) and some of my reloads using 180gr Hornady XTPs.

Didn't have time to go to my usual range with an indoor bench and official targets. Instead, just drove to a gravel pit a couple of miles out of town and drew some circles on a cardboard box. Mostly just a function test. Which it passed.

Only shot it off-hand at 10 yards.

It's going to take a bit of time to get used to the trigger, apparently. Or the pistol just isn't that accurate. Smallest 5 shot group was 1.5". Most of my other pistols will do 1" or less at that distance.

Bantou
06-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Took it out and shot it yesterday. 100% functioning with 2 boxes of plinking ammo (Speer Lawman and American Eagle) and some of my reloads using 180gr Hornady XTPs.

Didn't have time to go to my usual range with an indoor bench and official targets. Instead, just drove to a gravel pit a couple of miles out of town and drew some circles on a cardboard box. Mostly just a function test. Which it passed.

Only shot it off-hand at 10 yards.

It's going to take a bit of time to get used to the trigger, apparently. Or the pistol just isn't that accurate. Smallest 5 shot group was 1.5". Most of my other pistols will do 1" or less at that distance.

That isn’t bad for off hand on a target without much to aim at. I would imagine that you will have better results with a normal target. If it has combat sights then that is half of your problem. My Springfield Mil-Spec has fixed combat sights that are difficult to acquire and maintain unless the lighting is perfect. They are also large and make precise shooting difficult.

Rich/WIS
06-10-2020, 11:25 AM
I've owned about a dozen 1911 45s over the years and still have my SA Range Officer. Using them and my experience shooting the old Bullseye pistol game has led me to several conclusions on the 1911 platform and accuracy. First is that 85 to 90 % of the mechanical accuracy is in the fit of the barrel to the slide and lockup of the barrel to the frame in battery, the remainder is in slide to frame fit. Second is that in terms of practical accuracy 10-15% is in the sights, should be visible with a decent amount of light on either side of the front sight in the rear sight notch and if you want POA/POI to coincide adjustable sights are a good thing. After that trigger pull is critical, should be a clean break with little travel required for the trigger to move the sear and drop the hammer. I like a pull of about 4# with no creep or drag but exact weight is less important than having it crisp. A GOOD 1911 smith is your friend unless you are more skilled with tools than I am. I spent a lot of time on the range I belonged to in WI and don't know how many times a shooter would have a 1911 and tell me how good the trigger was, and believed it, until I let him shoot mine. We had a good 1911 smith nearby and suspect I generated a lot of business for him.

Only other 1911 I have now is not a 45, but a Kimber conversion fitted to a stainless steel RIA frame. No idea as to RIA's reputation for quality but what decided me on this one was a smooth crisp trigger pull right out of the box. As a plus has an extended safety, checkered mainspring housing and a grooved front strap. The quality looks good when taken apart but I am no expert when it comes to judging such things. Time I suppose will tell. The 45 upper is in the box it came in and will likely stay there.