PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Commander 1911 and Wilson Combat mags.

Bazoo
06-03-2020, 03:52 PM
My buddy has a SR1911 commander. He bought it slightly used and had issues with 3 point jams, erratic ejection, and empty cases crushed on the last round stove pipes. All this with factory ammo, Ruger mags, a Wilson combat 8 round, and a mecgar.

So he sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the extractor among other things. It now ejects all in the same direction and doesn't jam or eat cases. All with the factory mag and mecgar.

Then the Wilson Combat mag. I think it's a 47D model. The gun throws empties back in his face with it about 1/3 of the time. Ejection is somewhat erratic as well. He tried his mag in my Springfield milspec and it seems fine, no cases in the face. So I have a Wilson combat mag, my mag acts the same as his mag when fired in his gun

Wilson Combat is reported as being the end all for 1911 mags. I never liked them though and only own one because I got it for ten bucks and was mag poor at the time.

Thoughts.

Pretty fun watching him bob and weave trying to avoid catching a case in the face.

DougGuy
06-03-2020, 04:19 PM
I have a commander that likes Metalform and McCormick but not so much MecGar. My Gov't 1911A1 eats anything from whatever mag you stick in it, it is not finicky at all. He just has to use what the gun likes and relegate the rest to a different 1911.

cupajoe
06-03-2020, 04:41 PM
I had the same problem with a series 80 gov. model, erratic ejection. I replaced the extractor with a Wilson bullet proof extractor and problem solved. I have gone to all Wilson 47D mags when the Colt and most aftermarket mags cracked at the rear. My brother now owns the Colt and I shoot a Wilson CQB.
I have been looking hard at the SR1911 Commander but so far I have been able to resist.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-03-2020, 07:12 PM
I have no problem in my Ruger sr 1911 with 7 round WILSON-ROGERS MAGAZINES I did have some problems with the stock magazines
from Ruger

wanted to add that when I switched to Wilson magazines I also put a new recoil spring

Bazoo
06-03-2020, 07:15 PM
I love the Ruger mags in my milspec.