PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Tried Shotgun Insert Adapters

weekender823
11-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Hi All,

I have been lurking for a while, this is my first post. Thanks to all who post regularly.

Has anyone on this board tried pistol caliber shotgun insert adapters like the ones on the MCACE.COM site? I thought this looked like a way to turn an old single shot shotgun into a fun plinker for $65. I would still need to mount a red dot or a scope, but would have to do that anyway if I bought a $270 Handi-Rifle.

Best regards,

Greg

45nut
11-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Bought a 45-70 insert for a 12ga... they do not come with extractors, so the only way to reload is to knock out the empty with a range rod or a stick.
I would not recommend one and had I known I would have saved the money.

The $65.00 price is also very misleading, he has not updated the site in years and will raise the price if and when you ever get in touch with him to place an order.

It literally took weeks to get in touch with him and only after having a relative in Anchorage stopping by personally to let him know I was interested in placing a order.

He has to date not returned any email after he shipped the insert to address my concerns.

Scrounger
11-27-2008, 08:58 AM
I tried some smaller gauge inserts and wasn't happy with them. Have you checked out the BrazTech Single Shot rifles? Link: http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-rifles.cfm

weekender823
11-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply guys!

45nut - since I have not been able to find any mention of these things other than the website, thats exactly what I was afraid of. Appreciate the response.

Scrounger - thanks for the link. I have an old Rossi M971 .357 and an old M68 .38 Spl. and think they are a lot of gun for the money. I'll definitely consider on of their rifles.

Best regards,

Greg

dk17hmr
12-02-2008, 02:34 AM
I have a 22 hornet insert for my 28 gauge barrel. I have shot it exactly 1 time. I wanted to hear how loud it was, alot louder than I expected.

I would just get a single shot rifle and be done with it, I have 4 Handi Rifles with 7 barrel, cant go wrong.

KCSO
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I made my own adapters in different rimmed calibers for a shotgun. I made mine with a built in extractor. Here are the pluses and minus as I see it. First most shotguns don't have sights so you have to add sights to the gun. My adapters were 18" long and i don't feel a shorter adapter will be efficient in delivering velocity with say a 22 hornet or a 357 caliber. Each adapter needs to be indexed in the shotgun tube as if the adapter moves the poi moves too. Thhe plus is that for less than the cost of a gun you can use a lot of different ammo and this turns a single barrel shotgun into a nice survival outfit. My shotgun was a 12 Ga. 311 double with the tubes cut to 20" and fited with 22 Hornet, 357 and 45-70 in the left barrel. all the adapters were marked with a witness mark so they could be indexed and they would shoot into less than 2" at 50 yards. The sights were a smalll blade front in the rib and a 1911 sight dovetailed into the rear of the rib. The bad news is that the gun wouuld shooot slugs into 2" at 50 yards so the 45-70 barrel wasn't much use. The 38 and 22 hornet would be good for rabbits and such, but then so is shot. As to cost 12 Ga shells on sale were less than 22 Hornets so there was no advantage there.

Ray
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
The 12 gauge to 20 gauge shotgun adapters from www.gunadapters.com is like having a new gun for under $20.00 with good accuracy! Many more gauges and sizes of shotgun adapters are available at Short Lane Arms Website www.gunadapters.com

ricksplace
10-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I have made adapters in 32 s&w, 38 spec, and a handful of others, for a 12ga coach gun I had.

A friend of mine carries a Smith in 45 LC on his trapline, and often carries a 22/20ga savage as well. I made a 45LC insert 16" long for the savage 20ga. It shoots to the same point of impact as the 22.

I have made an insert for my 458 Win Mag in 32 S&W long, machined to the same dimensions as a loaded 458 round. It shot reasonably well and was accurate enough to shoot grouse. However, it sprayed quite a bit of lead into the bore of the 458. It came out with a patch, but I was always hesitant to shoot a 458 round without swabbing out the bore first.

All the inserts I made were with rifled bores, usually made from 303 British Lee Enfield barrels for 32's, and barrel blanks (back in the good old days when I could order them from Gun Parts without being a criminal) for other calibres.

krag35
10-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I have a 30 carbine insert bbl for a 12 gauge around here somewhere. Thought about rechambering it to something usefull like a 30-30. Used it in a cheap Bikal sinlge shot, if you kept it indexed to the marks, it shot well enough to hit a disk blade at 100 yds or so pretty regular. I'd part with it if someone was interested.