PDA

View Full Version : Expected prices for used casting gear ?

Wolfdog91
06-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Want to see if some could give a rough guide line for what I should expect generally when it come to buying used casting equipment. I figured it's like buying anything else used like fishing,hunting or trapping gear where different brands will always be less or more than others but wanted like general idea.
Say what would be a general expectation for a generic lee mould,in good condition with the handles,or a bullet sizing kit. Well I think you guys are where I'm going . Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks !

BigAlofPa.
06-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Check out the swapping and selling area here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

RKJ
06-02-2020, 01:59 PM
What I've seen (and bought) is around 1/2 to 2/3 of retail. A lot depends on condition and how unique the item.

reddog81
06-02-2020, 02:20 PM
2/3rds the price of new is reasonable. I've seen plenty of molds sell for as much or more than you can buy them new however... Prices can be all over the place depending on how motivated the seller is. I bought a box of casting gear from a local shop for $30 and it had a $75 mold in it along with $100 worth of other stuff.

Anything under half price of new is probably a good deal. Anything with less than a 25% discount and I'd prefer to wait for a sale and just buy new. Of course it all depends on the condition of the stuff also.

fredj338
06-02-2020, 02:42 PM
It will depend. There are some ridiculous prices on bullet molds no longer made. Most other stuff, I would expect to pay 50-75% of new.

dragon813gt
06-02-2020, 03:49 PM
Wait for a panic and sell at well over MSRP. It’s how I sold off all my Lee molds after Sandy Hook. My point is sell for what the market will bear. You can check the classifieds on the gun forums as well as sold items on eBay.

Winger Ed.
06-02-2020, 04:15 PM
For Lee stuff, I'd encourage shopping around a few places and just buying it new.

For used iron or brass molds, be patient and check the auction sights.
Last month, I found a RCBS mold on ebay that was the most favored for what I wanted to do, and hadn't hardly been used.
It still had the original cardboard box from the 1970's with it.
It went out of production probably 25-30 years ago.

Any iron 2 cavity block is now around $80. I got this one- with handles, on ebay for $60 and 'buy it now'.
About 1/2 what it would cost new if it was even still made.

gwpercle
06-02-2020, 06:35 PM
As a general rule if an item is in very good to like new condition - 50% retail .
As the condition of the item gets ...more used ... the price will reflect the condition - 25% to 45% .
What also needs to taken into consideration ... do you want to clear out everything , price it low .
Do you want the stuff hanging around ...price it high .

Watch the tv shows Pickers and Pawn Stars and get an idea of how to wheel, deal and meet them in the middle ....
My favorite line , when selling , is make me an offer ...then go from there .
Gary

Wolfdog91
06-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Ok guys everything y'all are saying makes alot of sense. Again real new to the casting world so kinda lost on prices lol.
So for say a average lee mold used I would be looking at $15-$25 right ?

Wolfdog91
06-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Check out the swapping and selling area here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

Yes this was part if the confusion lol. Saw some guys selling molds that where basically MSRP and others that where super low for the same mold.

Winger Ed.
06-02-2020, 08:05 PM
average lee mold used I would be looking at $15-$25 right ?

When a new 6 cavity is $40, and a new two cavity is $18-20,,,, yeah, that'd be about right.

Doubletap
06-03-2020, 07:59 AM
For Lee moulds, unless the design is no longer produced, I would seriously consider buying new. Lee blocks seem to be softer or wear out of spec faster than say an Accurate or LBT block. The two cavity blocks not using pins for alignment seems like a problem. If you baby them they will last, I've got several from the late 70's/early 80's that still work well. But value wise, I'll buy a new Lee from a supplier like Titan Reloading, something like $20 and shipping, than pay $15 and shipping for a used mould. The Lee 6 cavities I own seem to be a better mould. Pins and all, but some of the designs I like aren't offered in them.
Most of the Lyman or RCBS blocks I'm looking for are now obsolete, and prices seem crazy on some of them. If you are looking for say, a 311284 Lyman 2 cavity, I would consider 2/3rds new as a top price. This seems to be pretty close to what I see in the real world.

Mk42gunner
06-03-2020, 08:53 PM
What Doubletap says makes a lot of sense to me.

In fact, the only Lee casting equipment I would purposely look for used is one of the electric casting pots, starting with a 4-20, then a ten pounder. Only get the ten pound Lee pot if you aren't going to ladle cast, it is tall and narrow with a lot of the valve mechanism in the way of a ladle.

On the other hand, when I bought my RCBS Promelt at an estate auction, I gave $88.00 when the new price was $325 or so. It is a lot better than the Lee, but I can't honestly say it is worth three to four times the money.

Looking back, the only three things I would say should absolutely be bought brand new are PPE (face shield and safety glasses at the least), a thermometer (if you use one) and two cavity Lee molds, if the style you want is available.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-04-2020, 10:45 AM
Want to see if some could give a rough guide line for what I should expect generally when it come to buying used casting equipment. I figured it's like buying anything else used like fishing,hunting or trapping gear where different brands will always be less or more than others but wanted like general idea.
Say what would be a general expectation for a generic lee mould,in good condition with the handles,or a bullet sizing kit. Well I think you guys are where I'm going . Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks !

Yes this was part if the confusion lol. Saw some guys selling molds that where basically MSRP and others that where super low for the same mold.

Have you ever gone used car shopping?
Just like used cars, there isn't a simple formula for used casting equipment.
So much depends on condition.
one thing about buying items in our S&S section, is there is some level of trustworthiness with buying from regular members...whereas buying on fleabay or GunBroker is high risk of buying from someone that is clueless, and is likely just flipping junk they got from an Estate.