PDA

View Full Version : Nei’s .30 caliber wasp-waist bullet

M-Tecs
06-02-2020, 03:04 AM
Interesting. I may have to get one.

https://castbulletassoc.org/blog/article/2019/2/157/nei%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%84%A2s-.30-caliber-wasp-waist-bullet

MT Chambers
06-02-2020, 03:38 AM
I believe NEI has been out of business for a few years after many years of inferior workmanship, this was after the founder Walt Melander passed away, originally a great mold maker.

RU shooter
06-02-2020, 06:25 AM
One odd lookin bullet for sure

Bent Ramrod
06-02-2020, 11:22 AM
I have one of those moulds. Got a 1-1/2” 100-yd group with my Douglas-rebarreled Krag rifle with 18gr 4759 at ~1550 ft/sec using Lino-WW range scrap. Got a lot of 2-1/2”-3-1/2” groups with other loadings and powders.

Pretty much came to the same conclusions as the author. With enough finagling, it will shoot as good as other boolit design in the same weight range. No particular advantage though.

I know old George L’s ideas were accepted as the best by people in all walks of life, from the Crowned Heads of Europe to the scum of the Earth. But he never asked me what I thought. :mrgreen:

I seem to recall trying them with the wasp-waist filled with Rooster Red lube, as well as the tiny afterthought of a lube groove ahead of the gas check. That apparently did not go well. Anything I remember doing that I can’t find in my loading notes typically means I returned from the range feeling especially despondent.

ascast
06-02-2020, 11:51 AM
Thanks for posting-a good read. I have wondered for many years about that design. Never had a chance to get a mold. I think now it has moved to a lower spot on my to do list. I always thought the DD rings was a good idea if matched to a specific chamber.