PDA

View Full Version : SKB magazine tube replacement

Lee
11-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I've an SKB 900XL semi-auto shotgun which needs a magazine tube replacement, due to corrosion in the gas action area. I have a replacement tube from the SKB site, but I find that even with extended soaking with "KROIL" that the existing tube is frozen fast. The replacemant tube is threaded. May I assume I need to put the action in a vise and torque the crap out of the tube to remove it? Any secrets I should know about, before I send it off to the gunsmith?????
Thanks in advance........................Lee
P.S. love this gun, I'd really like to do the repair............

dominicfortune00
11-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Did you try putting it in the freezer overnight?

Also I've heard heating the part and letting candlewax melt into the threads works too.

Good Luck with that.

Lee
11-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I've tried a heat gun a couple times. Appears that the Kroil bubbles a bit from the threads when I do. I'll try the freezer, then heat. The Al should expand 2x as much as the steel, so that would be worth a try.
I don't see any pins or locnut or anything to preven removal of the tube. I just don't want to wrench it off only to find...................

dominicfortune00
11-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Since one of the parts is aluminum, I would get some PB'laster to use also.

I really like it on aluminum, it dissolves aluminum corrosion very well.

Try heating with the heat gun, and spraying on the PB'laster.

Also to make doubly sure there's nothing locking the barrel in, go to egunparts and see if they have a schematic for your SKB.

Or you can try one of those gun disassembly books.

There maybe something hidden in there that is preventing the mag tube from coming out.

Good Luck!!