PDA

View Full Version : Range changing - C2 in Virginia Beach

Wayne Smith
06-01-2020, 03:37 PM
C2 has changed to membership only - and I think a good choice and told Kent so. $550 year minimum membership fee. It is the only outdoor range within reasonable reach - and it's a 40min drive from home. I'll be able to set up my chronograph without bothering others and way less competition - weekends were crazy and Kent realized that. I'll be joining.

Winger Ed.
06-01-2020, 03:40 PM
Cool.
Our private range is a couple hundred a year with a annual raffle & fund raiser.
All things considered, I like it MUCH better than the public ranges I've fired on.

Neverhome
06-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Dang.
C2 is has been my range for about 12 years but I haven’t been in some months. Too busy with work on weekdays and I NEVER go on weekends. Total madhouse.
I was a member back when price was about half what it is now but stopped when price went up and I knew I’d never get to go enough to make a membership worth it.
Now though I may have to reassess. Great range on a weekday!

sigep1764
06-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Nice to have a range but that cost seems steep to me. Granted the range im a member of is indoor and limited to 25yards, but is only 275 per 13 months.

kevin c
06-01-2020, 04:24 PM
My range is a private one with pretty low annual fees, but we stay in the black by charging the public to use the ranges and participate in matches. Members pay too, but at discounted rates.

Weekends are busy, but, if a member can get out there during the week, solo practice on a bay is often possible without a wait.

Kraschenbirn
06-01-2020, 04:30 PM
Considering where Wayne is located...once upon a time I spent 6 months at Ft. Eustis...that membership fee ain't too awful. Our club range (300 yds.) is a bit less than 30 minutes from my driveway and dues are $110/yr. On the other hand, there's a commercial indoor range (12-25-yard lanes with powered target hangers) a half-mile up the road where individual memberships are $400/yr and $500/yr for family...and they don't allow lead boolits, reloads, rapid-fire, or draw-from-the-holster practice. Guess where I shoot, even when the weather is somewhat on the messy side.

Bill

fcvan
06-01-2020, 04:52 PM
I spent a lot of years in a rural Nor Cal county where there were lots of places to shoot, many are some miles down bad roads. 90% of the county is state or national park, or Natl Recreation Area. Part of the Rec Area designation required there be a designated and maintained shooting area. The district ranger said 'not on my land.' I took this issue to the NRA Annual Meetings in 2012, subcommittee on land use, and they said they would 'look into it.' Some time later, she was reassigned, an area designated, and it is maintained.

A small county of 25k people, most shooters all know each other if only in passing at the range, the gun store (yup, one) and other community events. The longest shot is 125 yards, several hand gun sites. Common courtesy dictates that folks inquire 'how long have you been here' and such, and many folks will say if they are packing up soon and they do. If there was a private range, folks would be members, which often builds a better shooting community.

The only private range is shotgun/archery only, and has been that way for decades. When the county brought in a lot of new peace officers who shoot pistol and rifle, there was no interest in meeting that need. Too bad, many also liked shooting trap and skeet.

The best public range I ever went to was/is in Winnemucca, NV. Many ranges for archery, shotgun, small bore pistol and rifle, large bore pistol and rifle, and a range out to 40 yards. Covered firing lines, concrete walkways, pea gravel range surface, classroom, barbecue/picnic facilities, are for judges and scoring, etc. There are target platforms, steel plates, defined berms, you know, a nice place to shoot. The signage 'reminds' folks not to shoot steel with high powered rifles with examples of destroyed targets by such abuse. Shooting benches are made from plate steel, on a concrete pad, with adjustable stools.

There are signs 'requesting' that people police their brass, brooms and dust pans provided, locked brass bins for those who don't reload, and a statement that reclaimed/recycled brass goes toward range maintenance. It is a neat, orderly, professional place to shoot. Fees? Zero, zilch, nada. The most important thing is the signage as you enter "This range was constructed in part with funds from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Federal Assistance Wildlife Restoration Fund, in cooperation with Nevada Department of Wildlife Hunter Education Program."

Why in the heck are we paying for programs privately that we have paid for publicly? I took lots of pictures and continue to share with my friends from Nor Cal. I am also working with folks in CO having retired (again) from CA. One of our best resources is us, the hunters, shooters, fishermen, all taxpayers, of course, Pittman/Robertson taxes that are over and above the average taxpayer.

It doesn't take much, just we the people squeaking the wheel. In reference to the 'previous' district ranger, I wish I could have said 'It's not your land (insert reference to female dog) It's out land. You work for us, not the other way around.' I never got the chance, she was promptly removed.

poppy42
06-01-2020, 08:03 PM
That sucks the only outdoor range I could possibly go to and I certainly don’t have $500 a year to pay for membership ridiculous if you ask me

poppy42
06-01-2020, 08:17 PM
The only public rifle range in the VA Beach area ( Hampton Roads) and it’s going member’s only. Might be great for all you professionals with fat wallets, but how’s the pool working slob, or someone like me on disability with a fixed income supposed to afford $500 a year for membership dues to arrange that’s 40 minutes away. Let me see join the range I don’t eat for a couple of months.

Neverhome
06-01-2020, 08:30 PM
I hear ya, Poppy!
I’d need to go roughly 30 times a year to break even at that cost. I really doubt that is happening.

18 or so years ago I’d just drive all the way to the free range up at Chickahominy but it started to get too sketchy with people goofing off. I couldn’t do any serious target work while constantly waiting for some dumba$$ to accidentally shoot the awning or himself

poppy42
06-01-2020, 08:42 PM
Maybe I’ll join and just stop paying my Dr bills lol

richhodg66
06-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Didn't realize how good it is here (Actually, I did). The range I'm still a member of is still $100 a year. Great range, only downside is it's only open every other weekend and one Thursday a month, however, if you RSO there, which I do, they give you a key and you can go whenever. It's closed now due to Covid 19 and will be closed while they renovate it for most of a year. I think they get subsidized some by the state.

The club I was a member of it Topeka was $200 a year, they did a background check on you, you had to be an NRA member (no problem with either one) and you had to be vouched for by two current members which was a problem when I was new in town. That is a good club, full up shotgun range and several ranges for various purposes including a rifle range that went out to 300 yards. Had a key and could go whenever the sun was up.

I shoot mostly on my own place now. If all I had was an indoor range, I'd probably stop shooting much and take up golf or something, I absolutely despise those places.

poppy42
06-01-2020, 10:32 PM
Well I don’t know what I’ll do. Now the only place I can shoot a rifle is at an indoor range that’s 20 yards. I don’t know about anybody else but 30-06 at 20 yrds makes absolutely no sense to me. There is a Club in Gloucester, about an hours drive for me. The dues are at least reasonable but once again when you’re on a fixed income it’s a lot easier to come up with a range free for a couple hours as opposed to paying the The yearly in one lump sum. Some would say just don’t go for a while save up the money and pay the dues but realistically something always comes up. Something breaks on the car, another doctor visit, and there goes the money I saved for the dues for range use!

Bazoo
06-01-2020, 10:39 PM
Poppy, I wish you were near me. I'd offer you to come to the farm any time you like.

FLINTNFIRE
06-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Member only range here , at $100 a year , pistol range to 50 yards , rifle to 400 yards , covered area to shoot from , pay a initiation fee when first joining .
I still like to drive up on the logging roads , state land as the timber companies have had enough of the slobs and trash , along with vandalism and theft .
See enough senseless acts of garbage , shot up signs and trees , over time they have dug up the roads to close some of the areas off , lots of off road quads and motorcycles tearing up the woods , but the state seems fine with that .

poppy42
06-02-2020, 12:02 AM
Poppy, I wish you were near me. I'd offer you to come to the farm any time you like.
Thank you! I would certainly take you up on the offer if I was close enough! I think my wife would get mad if I told her I was going to the range and came back two days later though lol! I’ve been to Louisville to visit my nephew and that’s like 11 hours away. I certainly do appreciate the thought Bazoo.

poppy42
06-02-2020, 12:11 AM
It really amazes me the lack of ranges and places to shoot in this area! It was easier to find a place to shoot when I lived in New York! That was 40 years ago though. I haven’t been back to New York since. I imagine it’s quite a bit different nowadays. Still it really stinks when it comes to places to shoot in this area! I’ll give my eyeteeth to be able to drive 20 minutes and shoot at some rock quarry, Woods, Farm, or whatever! What makes it worse is I really don’t know a lot of people in this area.

shooterg
06-02-2020, 12:42 AM
We have a decent facility at Izaak Walton in Amherst Co. 50 yd. smallbore/Pistol, 300 yd Rifle, benches and covers on both. Two Action bays. Archery Ranges, Trap and Skeet, 5-stand, 2 lakes/tent and RV campsites and more on 300+ acres.
Was $35 annually in 1991 when I joined, now costs me $250. Even with 500 folks, you may be the only one on the Range some days.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Poppy, contact Kent and plead your case. He's human too and does have a heart. He has to watch the bottom line like any other business, and he told me he is actually losing money at the $550 level. This range is completely private.

Neverhome
06-02-2020, 09:45 AM
I just mentioned it in a PM but to convey to a broader audience, something stinks here. I was a member at C2 about 12 years ago and have been going there ever since. Don't quote me on this but I believe my membership was around 200 for the year back then. Range rentals were expensive even then and I don't think they've gone up much but memberships have more than doubled. I have zero complains about the facilities but I haven't seen any significant/costly facility improvements. I've seen the number of shooters skyrocket. Training held there doesn't seem to have lagged. Still plenty of LE and MIL training there ever day I've gone.
If he's losing money at 550 a month then why potentially limit his clientele? I have no hard feelings about a business making money. No one opens one out of the kindness of their hearts. So I don't buy that he's losing money in this change. There must be more to the story.

He's the only show in town and knows it. Where else is anyone going to go?

poppy42
06-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Poppy, contact Kent and plead your case. He's human too and does have a heart. He has to watch the bottom line like any other business, and he told me he is actually losing money at the $550 level. This range is completely private.

Wayne, I appreciate your concern. I don’t know Kent, or anybody else associated with C2. As a casual Patron of his establishment I seriously doubt any communications from me would have any affect on his business decisions. He certainly couldn’t lower prices based on one person‘s needs. If he did it for one, he would have to do it for others. I simply could never justify paying that kind of money for casual range visits. I am sure that there are a lot of other casual patrons that feel the same way. As neverhome mentioned if he’s losing money why would he limit his clientele?
Anyway thank you again for your concern
Poppy42

popper
06-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Only range I knew of at VB was the 5" guns down the road.

odfairfaxsub
06-09-2020, 09:54 AM
What happened to the dnr of many states keeping good ranges open within reasonable distances so it’s citizens could go practice every so often?

WILCO
06-09-2020, 10:07 AM
At $550.00 a year, it'll be for sale in no time.

Neverhome
06-09-2020, 06:37 PM
What happened to the dnr of many states keeping good ranges open within reasonable distances so it’s citizens could go practice every so often?

As you may know since you’re from NOVA, we do have a handful of “sighting in” ranges scattered through some of the WMAs. Closest one to where I am in Norfolk is Chickahomony. Maybe an hour and a half away. Closer to Richmond than me. Basically it’s one range for like 3 million people as the others are farther out in the sticks. To add insult to injury, the sighting in ranges are only open 7 months a year. Gets too crazy at those anyway. Just not pleasant.

Neverhome
06-09-2020, 06:46 PM
I took some leave this week so on a lark I drove all the way down to Dare County, NC to a nice range. Outer Banks Gun Club.
Nice, tidy range. 20 bucks for the whole day. 100 bucks a year membership. No RSO but everyone was professional and considerate. If a new shooter showed up no one had a problem going cold for them. Pleasant day. I doubt I’ll go often because of the distance but it’s nice to have options.
Oh and I met another castboolits member there called 6.5 mike that gave me a lesson on paper patching.
Good stuff

richhodg66
06-10-2020, 09:27 AM

Kansas shut one down here this past year. I used to go to it and shoot now and then, but hadn't in many years. As usual, idiots doing unsafe things was the cause, you just can't seem to have an unsupervised range. It really is too bad.

When I was stationed at Fort Leavenworth, I used a range the state of Missouri had not far away which was also unsupervised. My job was such that I could get out there at odd hours when there weren't many people, but I went once on a weekend and wouldn't ever do it again, crowded with idiots who were accidents waiting to happen.

Omega
06-10-2020, 09:46 AM
For that kind of money I would just buy a parcel of land and make my own range, may even be cheaper.

richhodg66
06-10-2020, 10:06 AM
For that kind of money I would just buy a parcel of land and make my own range, may even be cheaper.

If you can fin a parcel of land that is big enough and remote enough to have your own range for less than $550 a year, please share.

Actually, I believe this is the reason why the range situation is so poor here in a state that is very gun friendly; everybody knows someone who is a land owner who will let them shoot on their place.

Omega
06-10-2020, 10:17 AM
If you can fin a parcel of land that is big enough and remote enough to have your own range for less than $550 a year, please share.

Actually, I believe this is the reason why the range situation is so poor here in a state that is very gun friendly; everybody knows someone who is a land owner who will let them shoot on their place.

It's available, you just have to look and do your homework for your area. Here, I bought an 8 (rounded up) acre parcel of land that I hunt and shoot at, it was $5500 and taxes are about $50-$70 a year. Now, I can't do much on it, build wise, but I didn't purchase it for that. If I wanted bigger I could have but it would be a longer drive, now it's about 30-45 minutes from my house. I may in the near future buy a big enough parcel to build a house and still be able to build a shooting range and hunt on, but that is after I retire again.

Take a look n this site: Landwatch.com (https://www.landwatch.com/Tennessee_Hunting_Land) Many are going for just over 3k an acre, and you can sell it a few years down for possibly more than you buy it for.

Neverhome
06-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Omega, I envy your real estate situation there in Tn.
In Va, the site shows the CHEAPEST 8 acre parcel is right around 20k.
Obviously it doesn’t show every possible available plot in the state but you get the point. Every state is different

It's available, you just have to look and do your homework for your area. Here, I bought an 8 (rounded up) acre parcel of land that I hunt and shoot at, it was $5500 and taxes are about $50-$70 a year. Now, I can't do much on it, build wise, but I didn't purchase it for that. If I wanted bigger I could have but it would be a longer drive, now it's about 30-45 minutes from my house. I may in the near future buy a big enough parcel to build a house and still be able to build a shooting range and hunt on, but that is after I retire again.

Take a look n this site: Landwatch.com (https://www.landwatch.com/Tennessee_Hunting_Land) Many are going for just over 3k an acre, and you can sell it a few years down for possibly more than you buy it for.

Omega
06-10-2020, 11:43 AM
Obviously it doesn’t show every possible available plot in the state but you get the point. Every state is different
That is only $2500 an acre, with the right 8 acres you can get at least 100 yards, my longest range is right around there, hilltop to hilltop though. At the bottom, were I pistol shoot the hills make great backstops. And again, that money can be regained if you sell, land seldom goes down in value.

Neverhome
06-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Fair point but as you said “with the right 8 acres”...
I know personally I wouldn’t want just enough. And of course like I said those were the cheapest parcels and literally only a few. You’d also have to take into account distance from home, county/city firearms laws, hunting laws if one hoped to hunt it. It’s just not as simple everywhere.

But I do 100% agree with you that the ideal state is to own your own property to shoot on!
Maybe when the stars align and all these dang children of mine are gone and not sucking the life out of me!

That is only $2500 an acre, with the right 8 acres you can get at least 100 yards, my longest range is right around there, hilltop to hilltop though. At the bottom, were I pistol shoot the hills make great backstops. And again, that money can be regained if you sell, land seldom goes down in value.

richhodg66
06-11-2020, 08:04 AM
I wish I could have found something like that, as it was, the wife and I got this place, 18 acres with the house on it. It was an old rock quarry, abandonded about 60 years ago, so much more rolling and wooded than it might otherwise be, but I do have a 100 yard range. Nearest real neighbors are at least a half mile away, and with what's around, that isn't real likely to change. The farmers that own the big parcel north of me probably won't, but if for some reason they did and someone wanted to start a housing development there, I'd be screwed. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Maybe I need to start watching land listings more closely, but I highly doubt I'd find a deal like that one of yours, I am envious.

odfairfaxsub
06-11-2020, 09:59 AM

In Fauqier county it’s from 12-20 k an acre here. Sucks

dragon813gt
06-11-2020, 10:48 AM
In Fauqier county it’s from 12-20 k an acre here. Sucks

$25k+ per acre in most places by me. Middle of the state is cheaper but can still be as high. Was shocked when I saw 5.5 acres w/ a 2,000 sq ft house, garage/barn w/ an apartment and a pond for $150,000. This was in the Endless Mountains region. Not much around and unfortunately that property was all over social media and a bidding war has ensued.

toallmy
06-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Just a thought ,but agricultural acreage is leased quite reasonable .

Neverhome
07-23-2020, 03:59 PM
Well, Kent must be losing his mind.

Check out the ACTUAL price schedule for C2...

https://c2shootingcenter.com/c2-memberships/

The membership I’d want that provides full access to long and short ranges is 1250 bucks a year!

No way in hell am I paying even half of that. I loved that range and went there for years but he won’t get a dime of my money with a crappy cash grab like that.

ANYWAY, today I drove the 100 miles down to NC prepared to purchase a $75 dollar yearly membership at Dare County Gun Club. I get there and flash my military ID and suddenly I’m walking out with a COMPLIMENTARY membership that isn’t for 1 year but for 3 and matches the expiration date on my ID.
I was flabbergasted! The lady looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo because I was thanking her so profusely.
So for 3 years(or more if I stay active and in this area) I just need gas money. I was already driving 40 miles one way to C2 anyway.

I’m ignoring my vehicle mileage so don’t bring it up and ruin it for me!

dale2242
07-25-2020, 08:23 AM
The range I use is owned by the county.
$65 a year fee....dale

dpoe001
07-25-2020, 10:04 AM
wow i feel bad for some of the guys here my dues here for a private range is $25 a year,I volunteer and clean up and do work details to fix things up.

toallmy
07-25-2020, 12:53 PM
I have never been to a range inside or outside , but well I live in the sticks . I think a good outdoor range with a rifle range out to a 1000 would be a hoot + indoor pistol for shooting after dark or in bad weather could be useful .
I have a hard time finding a place to shoot over 400 yards around here .

Neverhome
07-25-2020, 01:53 PM
I have never been to a range inside or outside , but well I live in the sticks . I think a good outdoor range with a rifle range out to a 1000 would be a hoot + indoor pistol for shooting after dark or in bad weather could be useful .
I have a hard time finding a place to shoot over 400 yards around here .

Tragic. You have my pity. :kidding:

No shortage of chickens though I bet!

toallmy
07-25-2020, 04:52 PM
Tragic. You have my pity. :kidding:

No shortage of chickens though I bet!

Yep but Mr Perdue would get mad if I went hunting in his chicken house .
I see you spend a lot of time just a little bit east of me .

Neverhome
07-25-2020, 05:22 PM
Yep but Mr Perdue would get mad if I went hunting in his chicken house .
I see you spend a lot of time just a little bit east of me .

Norfolk. So not far.