PDA

View Full Version : i have several wheel guns....need a cleaning tip!

mozeppa
05-30-2020, 10:09 PM
i scrubbed the cylinder face for over an hour to get the carbon rings around each chamber to come off.

i used a brass tooth brush and hoppes #9 gun cleaner and followed up with "never dull" wool polishing wadding.

took me all day to do four 38/357 wheel guns......there just has to be a way to remove all the carbon that isn't so labor intensive!

any help is appreciated!

avogunner
05-30-2020, 10:14 PM
I use one of those green kitchen scrub pads (forget the brand name) but those take care of those carbon rings in nothing flat.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

35remington
05-30-2020, 10:26 PM
I confess I just ignore them. Indifference shall set you free.

tazman
05-30-2020, 10:46 PM
The only time I did that was on a stainless revolver I wanted to be spotless. I gave that up for a waste of time.

Avogunner has the solution. That is what I used and it worked in moments to clean off the powder burn on the front of the cylinder.

BigAlofPa.
05-30-2020, 11:04 PM
I stopped worrying about the rings years ago. As long as my bores and cylinders are clean im good to go.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-30-2020, 11:16 PM
use this works great https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Remover-Polishing-Packed/dp/B078HC37C7/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=90HSPX1F09Z898XNEX3P

markX
05-30-2020, 11:34 PM
use this works great https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Remover-Polishing-Packed/dp/B078HC37C7/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=90HSPX1F09Z898XNEX3P

I second this! Found these years ago and they work great.

JimB..
05-30-2020, 11:34 PM
I figure it’s self correcting, accumulates to a point and then stops.

Bazoo
05-30-2020, 11:40 PM
I didn't realize you could remove the rings. I've never scrubbed it off. I just figured it's what happens, especially with a stainless gun.

45workhorse
05-31-2020, 12:01 AM

They make stainless steel Guns look like new. Don't use on blued guns! It will take the bluing of.

Tim357
05-31-2020, 12:12 AM

Amen brother! Preach!

facetious
05-31-2020, 02:18 AM
Flitz Polish. This stuff works good, it won't get it a 100% but it is good enough for a shooter.

Bazoo
05-31-2020, 02:27 AM
So dumb question here, if you use anything like scotchbrite or flitz, won't that wear the cylinder over the course of many cleanings ?

Winger Ed.
05-31-2020, 03:41 AM
won't that wear the cylinder over the course of many cleanings ?

'Many' is the key word here.
If ya stop scrubbing more or less when the crud is gone, it'd take hundreds of cleanings to wear away enough metal to measure.

Texas by God
05-31-2020, 09:21 AM
I would use 0000 steel wool if I were inclined to clean the front of the cylinder. IF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nawagner
05-31-2020, 09:48 AM
Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish works really well too.

contender1
05-31-2020, 10:20 AM
As many have noted here,, the carbon burn ring area on the front of a cylinder is a bit stubborn to remove.

Stainless guns,, you can use a "Lead Away" type of cloth to get a lot of it off.
DO NOT USE ON BLUED GUNS!!!!!!!!!

But in general,, if you want a pristine,, NIB looking gun after every shooting session,, you'll be spending a lot of time cleaning vs. shooting. Stainless guns show it easily & is harder to get squeaky clean.
ANY abrasive cleaning method can & will remove metal. Quite often,, folks use various ScotchBrite pads are used to modify the appearance of stainless guns. Make shiny ones dull, make dull ones shiny, and even are used to polish areas where lettering has been removed. I would avoid the use of them on the face of a cylinder,, as it can make a difference over time, if used a lot or often.

Personally,, I advise shooters in my clinics & classes that a stainless gun is NOT truly stainless,, but it resists rusting & is easier to clean,, in most areas. PROPER care includes the removal of excess dirt, crud, carbon, to where it's functionable,, but not so clean it looks like it was never fired.
I have seen guns damaged by excessive cleaning.

Froogal
05-31-2020, 10:26 AM
I use one of those green kitchen scrub pads (forget the brand name) but those take care of those carbon rings in nothing flat.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Yes. The green kitchen scrub pads work great.

str8wal
05-31-2020, 10:52 AM

Yup, I call it patina

Petrol & Powder
05-31-2020, 12:13 PM
On a STAINLESS steel cylinder you can use one of the lead away clothes and it will be beautiful. Never use those clothes on blued guns.

Another old trick on a stainless gun is to use a pencil eraser. No kidding, it works.

Another trick is once you get the cylinder face clean, use some automotive wax on the surface. It makes removing the carbon a little easier next time.

However, there's really no need to removed those rings. They cause no harm.

trapper9260
05-31-2020, 12:25 PM
I stopped worrying about the rings years ago. As long as my bores and cylinders are clean im good to go.

Same here ,all I use for clean the area is just a plain old tooth brush and dose all I like it to do.

Rick Hodges
05-31-2020, 01:43 PM
Secret picked up to pass inspection with a Model 66 while in the academy was the old grey ink eraser. It worked rather well without too much scrubbing. It should be noted that it is still an abrasive. Once out of the academy I didn't bother.

Larry Gibson
05-31-2020, 01:53 PM

+1...….

Win94ae
05-31-2020, 03:39 PM
Penetrating oil, a bronze brush, and 10 or so minutes of work. :/

Drydock
05-31-2020, 05:30 PM
Natures way of tightening up that cylinder/barrel gap.

RedlegEd
05-31-2020, 05:52 PM
Hi all,
I know there were lot's of "let it go, don't worry about it..." responses, but to me, it just seems like my BFR just isn't clean with the carbon fouling on the cylinder. At first, I used Barkeeper's Friend and a green scrubbie pad, which worked great. Then, I saw a YouTube video where the gentleman used Mother's Chrome polish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfICSHFVk2w), and voilà! It really works well. Just remember, stainless only!
Ed

johniv
05-31-2020, 06:44 PM

My new motto!

Biggin
05-31-2020, 07:06 PM

I'll admit that I didn't know people actually did that until just recently.

Mk42gunner
05-31-2020, 09:00 PM
I used Flitz on my first stainless revolver a few times, but then as others have agreed to "Indifference shall set you free."

The only time I would go that far now is if I were trying to sell a stainless revolver.

Robert

Burnt Fingers
06-01-2020, 07:39 PM
I would use 0000 steel wool if I were inclined to clean the front of the cylinder. IF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Never use steel wool on stainless steel.

Little slivers of the steel wool get caught in the stainless. Then the steel wool rusts and makes the stainless look like crap.

osteodoc08
06-01-2020, 09:17 PM
I just leave them be. So long as they chambers and barrel are clean

tazman
06-01-2020, 10:17 PM
Hi all,
I know there were lot's of "let it go, don't worry about it..." responses, but to me, it just seems like my BFR just isn't clean with the carbon fouling on the cylinder. At first, I used Barkeeper's Friend and a green scrubbie pad, which worked great. Then, I saw a YouTube video where the gentleman used Mother's Chrome polish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfICSHFVk2w), and voilà! It really works well. Just remember, stainless only!
Ed

If it doesn't detrimentally effect the performance of the handgun, it is not fouling. Fouling only occurs when something gets dirty enough to cause a malfunction of some sort. That powder burn mark on the front of the cylinder won't do that.

megasupermagnum
06-01-2020, 11:16 PM
A trick I picked up from a competition shooter was to oil the front of the cylinder. All I do after shooting is wipe the front off with a patch damp with my gun oil. None of mine get any crud on them. I haven't done any high volume by some peoples standards, but even after 300-400 rounds, all I do is wipe it off with an oiled patch and it never accumulates.

RedlegEd
06-02-2020, 08:18 AM
If it doesn't detrimentally effect the performance of the handgun, it is not fouling. Fouling only occurs when something gets dirty enough to cause a malfunction of some sort. That powder burn mark on the front of the cylinder won't do that.

Hi tazman,
Fair enough. Wrong terminology, but you should still get my drift. I don't like powder burns/marks on the face of my stainless wheelgun's cylinder and Mother's Chrome & Mag polish cleans it right off.
Ed

tazman
06-02-2020, 08:58 AM
Hi tazman,
Fair enough. Wrong terminology, but you should still get my drift. I don't like powder burns/marks on the face of my stainless wheelgun's cylinder and Mother's Chrome & Mag polish cleans it right off.
Ed

I understand what you mean. I also understand the wish for a completely clean and shiny handgun. I have cleaned those stains off the cylinders of some of my revolvers in the past.
That said, you should know that revolvers come from the factory with those "stains" on the front of the cylinder. Proof testing/test firing before it leaves the factory produce those.

kerplode
06-02-2020, 01:21 PM
there just has to be a way to remove all the carbon that isn't so labor intensive!

any help is appreciated!

Just leave it be...Ain't worth the effort, doesn't hurt nothin', and it'll be right back next time you fire it anyway.

That being said, a fella on another forum posted recently that he grabbed one of those new-fangled charcoal toothbrushes with the black bristles as his next gun cleaning toothbrush and that it ended up magically removing the carbon rings from his cylinder faces. I haven't tried it though, so take this for what it's worth...A third-hand internet rumor. :-)

onelight
06-02-2020, 03:08 PM
That is what I use to. It does work great on stainless

Wild Bill 7
06-02-2020, 07:36 PM
I clean my revolvers with Fire Clean first before shooting. After shooting I put a little Remington bore cleaner on the face of the cylinder and brush with nylon brush. After cleaning the rest of the weapon, a little more brushing and a wipe off of the RBC I use Fire Clean on the whole weapon and in the safe they go. Just a note it is not such a chore to clean anymore.

Dale53
06-03-2020, 12:42 AM
I cheerfully ignore the carbon rings on the face of the cylinder. It hurts NOTHING and you can easily damage the revolver.

FWIW
Dale53

Rio Grande
06-03-2020, 01:21 AM

Ditto here.
Kinda why I prefer blued revolvers.

charlie b
06-03-2020, 07:04 AM
I just don't clean them very often. :) When I do I don't worry about the stain marks.

nawagner
06-03-2020, 08:33 AM
I cheerfully ignore the carbon rings on the face of the cylinder. It hurts NOTHING and you can easily damage the revolver.

FWIW
Dale53

Could you please explain how any of the suggestions can easily damage the revolver? I want to make sure I am not.

mozeppa
06-03-2020, 08:45 PM
sorry ....i'm o.c.d.

they gotta go.

GL49
06-04-2020, 12:33 AM
Yup, I call it patina

Good answer. Everyone knows patina removal can destroy the value of a good firearm.

[smilie=1:

Jtarm
06-05-2020, 02:50 PM

Well said!

I don't pay much attention to them.

I have heard that lead removal cloth will do the job.

Bill*B
06-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Why bother? Let your sixgun wear those carbon rings like a badge of honor. They prove that you love it and use it.

plowboysghost
06-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Mothers mag and aluminum polish and a Q-tip will remove them from stainless quickly and completely.

leadhead
06-10-2020, 08:07 AM
I always used Shooters Choice with a stainless brush.....
Don't bother anymore. It doesn't hurt a thing.
Denny

gwpercle
06-10-2020, 07:05 PM
Yes. The green kitchen scrub pads work great.

Soak the rings in some Ed's Red Bore Cleaner for a couple hours , then add some to the green pad and scrub well . Giving the Ed's Red time to get under the carbon helps lift it .
If you don't know what Ed's Red Bore Cleaner is do a search for the recipe .
Gary

Abenaki
06-10-2020, 10:21 PM
My guns like the dark rings!
I told em it makes em purdy!

Take care
Abenaki

Art in Colorado
06-17-2020, 06:56 PM
So dumb question here, if you use anything like scotchbrite or flitz, won't that wear the cylinder over the course of many cleanings ?

Years ago I took my Freedom Arms Model 83 to the plant in Wyoming to have the trigger pull reduced.Yeah you would think for the money the pull would be 3Lbs. Well any way the owner I believe Mr. Baker was there and he was examining my gun and when he looked at the front of the cylinder that I cleaned with that lead remover cloth he told me to never do that. It would affect accuracy. I guess he would know. Maybe just on F/A guns with those very tight tolerances.

pocketace
08-09-2020, 09:36 PM
i have shot enough to create light blue rings around the chambers in my revolver. Hurts NOTHING.. looks odd, but who cares?

tankgunner59
08-09-2020, 11:12 PM
I too use the green scotch brite pads with a little Hoppe's No. 9 and it takes the carbon off pretty quickly. Just don't use it on blued cylinders cause it will take the bluing.

Ozark mike
08-10-2020, 01:34 AM
2 things
1 never use steel wool on stainless
2 when using the scotch brite on brushed stainless only go with the grain not 90 degrees or you will have a funky finish

hollywood63
08-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Soak the rings in some Ed's Red Bore Cleaner for a couple hours , then add some to the green pad and scrub well . Giving the Ed's Red time to get under the carbon helps lift it .
If you don't know what Ed's Red Bore Cleaner is do a search for the recipe .
Gary

Ditto here
I soak the whole cylinder for a couple days after about 2000-2500 rounds they pretty much wipe off with a rag.