PDA

View Full Version : BP Pistol ID

copdills
05-30-2020, 04:40 PM
can anyone help me ID this BP Pistol , its a 31 cal pocket pistol , the only writing on the top strap is Jam Springfield mas. the cylinder has warner"s pat. 1852, no writing on the barrel, if anyone can help with the model and possible year it would be greatly appreciated, and if the Gun and case with items has any value, the trigger spring or bolt spring is broke but if you hold the trigger forward the hammer will stay cocked, I don't plan on doing anything with this

M-Tecs
05-30-2020, 05:00 PM
Not sure if they are related

http://shipwrecklibrary.com/deadlands/revolving-rifles/

James Warner of Springfield Armory was another one of Samuel Colt’s early competitors, and had been tinkering with different types of revolvers for nearly as long as his rival. When Colt’s patent was unexpectedly renewed in 1849, a frustrated Warner was forced to redesign his more recent firearms in order to avoid legal infringement. During this process, he experimented with several different types of revolver mechanisms. The result is a plethora of Warner rifles varying in length, caliber, and action type, from manually-rotated retractable cylinders to grooved cylinders designed to be mechanically indexed by a rear-mounted lever. There are Warner rifles with brass frames, carbines with etched cylinders, and even some models employing a pill-lock primer system similar to the Billinghurst rifle.

Battis
05-30-2020, 09:55 PM
I have one in .28 caliber. James Warner Pocket Model.
Mine is a Second Model first variation (.28 caliber, round barrel). There were only a few hundred of mine made.
Yours is a Second Model, second variation (.31 caliber, round barrel). 9,000+ made.

copdills
05-31-2020, 08:01 AM
Thank Guys I got this on a Trade the trigger spring needs repair but a nice pistol

toot
05-31-2020, 09:16 AM
that has been in the case for a rely long time as evidenced by the white fuzzy balls.BTW, it is rare to get one in the original case with a family crest / herald!! have you looked up the family crest? any how a very, very interesting piece none the less!

mooman76
05-31-2020, 10:15 AM
Should be a fun little gun to shoot.

Battis
05-31-2020, 10:51 AM
Here's a case where rare does not equal valuable. There were 200-300 made in .28, and 9000+ of the .31s, but, according to Flaydermans, they're worth about the same.
I messed with the spring in mine - it's still a work in progress.

copdills
05-31-2020, 01:10 PM
Thanks , no I hadn't looked up the family Crest Yet, the trigger spring I think is the problem the hammer won't stay back when you pull it unless you bring the trigger foward , then the hammer will stay cocked till you pulled the trigger ,otherwish the trigger just stays toward the rear of the trigger guard
Thanks copdills

copdills
11-23-2020, 09:52 AM
bump with Question

pietro
11-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Thanks , no I hadn't looked up the family Crest Yet, the trigger spring I think is the problem the hammer won't stay back when you pull it unless you bring the trigger foward , then the hammer will stay cocked till you pulled the trigger ,otherwish the trigger just stays toward the rear of the trigger guard
Thanks copdills

Sounds reasonable to me...….

copdills
11-25-2020, 01:13 PM
bump for value

Battis
11-25-2020, 07:16 PM
What shape are the nipples in? Are the caps old? Do they fit the nipples? What diameter are the round balls? Did they come from that mold?

copdills
11-25-2020, 07:22 PM
not sure if the round balls came from the mold but its in great shape, the balls measure 30 cal. the nipples are in decent shape and I have no idea how old the caps are but they will fire on the gun , some I had to hit twice with the hammer before they would fire, only tried 3 but they look super old just like the round balls thinking about selling or trading it off , I don't have an interest in black powder items

Tom Trevor
11-25-2020, 08:50 PM
Not to sure about the CASE cover looks like an older wooden cigar box logo?

copdills
11-25-2020, 09:36 PM
I don't know about the box, this is the way I got it

Battis
11-26-2020, 09:25 PM
According to Flayderman's 9th Edition (several years old) there were 9000 of that model made. Values: Good - $325. Fine - $750. It's tough to tell its condition from your photos. I don't know what the box would add to the value (if it's original to the gun). I have a few antique cap and ball guns that are in "modern" cases. The molds are common, the balls and caps also. If you knew it was presented to a particular person, that might add to the value.
I'd put it on Gunbroker at what you want. If it doesn't sell, drop the price.

copdills
11-27-2020, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the information I will most likely trade it off for some shot shell supplies lol and thats almost as rare as hens teeth right now in my area

32-20
11-30-2020, 07:01 PM
Do what you like, but where will you ever get another one?