PDA

View Full Version : Biehler Dies on a RCBS Rock Chucker

bls4321
05-28-2020, 07:43 PM
I picked up a set of dies with accessories on Ebay from a guy that thought it was Gunsmithing supplies. Got them for a song and dance. That said I have never swaged bullets before and would like to give it a try with my pre 82 Rock Chucker. The issue I have is that the punch holder for the Biehler dies uses a 9/16"-16 thread. What are my options? Adapter to go in existing shell holder groove? New solid ram? Any help would be appreciated.

rancher1913
05-28-2020, 09:15 PM
your best option is to change out the ram with a threaded one.

Bent Ramrod
05-29-2020, 06:15 PM
You might (assuming that your dies are .22–6mm size) check with Corbin’s and see if he can make you a punch that fits the shellholder slot in your ram. For bigger bullets a solid ram, threaded at the top, would be preferable.

An adapter that fits the shellholder slot, with threaded hole in center to fit your present punch, can also be made. I did one once on my lathe for a LLF .22 die set I found.

bls4321
05-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I may go ahead and try making an adapter. My biggest concern is that the press will never be at its highest force point. Looking at the dies and punches I would say that the ram needs to be about 2" shorter to get the full advantage of the press.

midnight
05-29-2020, 10:39 PM
I have a set of B&A dies in 224 and use them on the Walnut Hill in the reloading mode. I made a whole bunch of adapters in every thread size & pitch I might need using short 7/8-14 grade 8 bolts. Swaging 224 bullets requires very little force so a Rockchucker or similar press has more than enough force, you just need a threaded ram. Someone here on this forum made one for my Rockchucker II but I can't remember who.

Bob