PDA

View Full Version : First hand priming tool

onelight
05-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Just a little mini review.
I have been loading since 1970 and prefer priming on the press in most cases but I have the RCBS bench priming tool and have 0 complaints has always worked great used mainly for center fire rifle.
I have considered off and on getting a hand priming tool so always read the threads about them with interest , I decided to get the Frankford Arsenal . I just ran 50 , 44 special cases through it and it seems with this limited run to work well a little balky at first but fed the primers better as it was used. I was surprised at its size and weight seems to be a sturdy tool. It comes with a set of shell holders and is easy to switch from large to small primers and seating depth is adjustable with a thumb wheel . I will still prime on the press , but this will be handy to have at times. I like it so far.
Here is a pic next to my RCBS tool
Another fine example of iPad photography ;-)

Green Frog
05-28-2020, 08:23 PM
Looks nice. I may have to look ingot a setup like that, just to add to the collection. Frankford Arsenal occasionally comes up with a winner and that looks like it may be one of them. I like the idea of an all-in-one package like that. Very handy, but it looks like it will still get the job done.

My first hand priming tool was a Lyman 310 tool... wow, that's been a while! The closest to your FA that I have now is a 1st Gen Lee hand tool with screw in shell holders. A great design but chintzy construction. Yours looks like it was built to work well and to last.

Froggie

onelight
05-28-2020, 08:58 PM
It came with 12 shell holders and one of the reviews I read said that the Lee hand priming shell holders will also fit.

Winger Ed.
05-28-2020, 09:01 PM
They are handy.
I've hand primed at the dinner table if it was real hot or cold out in the shop.

mac60
05-31-2020, 10:49 AM
It came with 12 shell holders and one of the reviews I read said that the Lee hand priming shell holders will also fit.

You heard right. The Lee priming tool shellholders will work with this tool. I have one and in my opinion it's a fine tool - built to last.

leadhead
06-01-2020, 08:59 AM
Anyone here use the Lyman E-ZEE prime. Been looking at one of those to replace
my old Lee one. It uses regular shell holders and I've read where sometimes it
doesn't seat the primers deep enough. I think it might be the different shell
holders are thicker or thinner than others. Any info would be great.
Denny