PDA

View Full Version : 475 Linebaugh dies

bisley45
05-28-2020, 01:22 PM
I have new 475 Linebaugh BFR coming my way :guntootsmiley: and am going to need me some dies. I am leaning towards the Hornady 4 die set but am not sure. so let me here from the experts witch dies would you suggest?

thanks for the help. Brian

Tatume
05-28-2020, 01:36 PM
The excellent Lee dies are my recommendation.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020799378?pid=309958

Greg S
05-28-2020, 06:38 PM
Had no problems so far with RCBS for a tight chambered FA. If ya would posted this a few mo the ago before I put my stuff in storage I woulda sent you a set. I had feelers out for them cause everyone was out of stock so I found some at a fun show the same weekend a friend found some in Ideho at a fun show there.

Three44s
06-06-2020, 09:39 PM
Depends on the press you are using.

A press with a bushing or an otherwise thick head gives you a bit of grief with Lee dies because they have a shorter body than most other brands. Hornady dies are some of the longest bodied.

My progressive LNL press has a thick top or head and bushings to reach through, Lee’s are just hooked on their tippy toes in that press. I know folks that remove the lock ring and place it on the bottom of the die to get around this problem.

RCBS dies are long enough as well, shorter that Hornady but certainly enough for any press I know of.

Three44s

Lloyd Smale
06-13-2020, 05:38 AM
I use hornadys. they work fine.

smithnframe
06-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Lyman or RCBS...........I personally don't like Hornady dies and the "stupid" zip spindle!

alamogunr
06-13-2020, 10:58 AM
I bought my 475 Linebaugh used but unfired and it came with RCBS dies. The size die was steel, not carbide. I prefer this as it does not work the brass as much. This is not a gun that will use a lot of ammunition so lubing and sizing is not a chore. Mine was one of the very early Linebaugh guns. I don't even attempt to use full power loads, so sizing with a carbide die probably would not cause any problems over time.
I've also got a trim die that came with the gun. I'm glad I don't have to trim and form 45-70 brass. I guess I could in an emergency.

MT Chambers
06-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Redding are always my first choice in die sets.

Three44s
06-30-2020, 11:53 PM
I bought my 475 Linebaugh used but unfired and it came with RCBS dies. The size die was steel, not carbide. I prefer this as it does not work the brass as much. This is not a gun that will use a lot of ammunition so lubing and sizing is not a chore. Mine was one of the very early Linebaugh guns. I don't even attempt to use full power loads, so sizing with a carbide die probably would not cause any problems over time.
I've also got a trim die that came with the gun. I'm glad I don't have to trim and form 45-70 brass. I guess I could in an emergency.

That’s interesting.

I own both steel and carbides (both RCBS) in 480 Ruger. My used SRH in 480 came with the steel set but I later found a carbide set, used on the net.

I tried to sell the steel set once I had the carbides but to no avail. Perhaps it is good to keep the steel dies? I do not have anywhere near the brass for the 480 that I do for 44 Mag so excessive sizing would be a concern. I will have to compare!

Run of the mill loads could be run with the sizer die that sizes less because neck to boolit grip is not as critical but for “business” loading, then go for more neck tension.

Three44s

1hole
07-07-2020, 01:38 PM
Some minor features change between dies but that's more of a user preference than an effective difference; you may like what I don't like but the question is, do the dies work well? Fact is, used correctly, ALL dies work very well and their cost is a poor way to judge their potential. Lee to Redding, pick a price point that makes you comfortable and buy it, the end results of any brand won't make any (average) difference in your ammo.

Lee and Hornady's "zip lock" decap/expander collet is an example difference to most others. That tapered collet holder is slightly more costly to make and does a much better job of centering the decapper pin but some folk still prefer the older (cheaper) lock nut. Either way, the ammo doesn't care.

alamogunr
07-07-2020, 09:41 PM
That’s interesting.

I own both steel and carbides (both RCBS) in 480 Ruger. My used SRH in 480 came with the steel set but I later found a carbide set, used on the net.

I tried to sell the steel set once I had the carbides but to no avail. Perhaps it is good to keep the steel dies? I do not have anywhere near the brass for the 480 that I do for 44 Mag so excessive sizing would be a concern. I will have to compare!

Run of the mill loads could be run with the sizer die that sizes less because neck to boolit grip is not as critical but for “business” loading, then go for more neck tension.

Three44s

I have purchased several used die sets with steel size dies for revolver cartridges. I have a few custom revolvers with tight chambers. I found in one case that carbide die oversized the brass and led to short life of the brass. Another revolver in .45 Colt would not chamber a round that had been sized in a carbide die. The steel die solved the problem. I probably went overboard in acquiring the steel dies but since they were used I'm not concerned about it.