PDA

View Full Version : Respirator mask for smelting suggestions ?

Wolfdog91
05-26-2020, 08:25 PM
I know I don't need I one as long as I'm up wind of the pot while smelting down wheel weights for ingots but I really feel better if I had one just for the extra saftey. So any reccomendations for a resperstoir ?

djryan13
05-26-2020, 09:16 PM
You need one for acids if you plan on going crazy and using sulphur to flux. Also works for other smoke.

If you can find the 3M cartridge 60923, that would be best IMO.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Professional-Multi-Purpose-Replacement-Respirator-Cartridges-60923HB1-C/202080142

Winger Ed.
05-26-2020, 09:31 PM
Anything with a charcoal filter would do what ya want it too.
They're usually packaged/marked as a respirator rather than as a mask.

44Blam
05-26-2020, 09:45 PM
Oh wow, they are back in stock. This is good. Couple months ago, you couldn't even find the cartridges!

dannyd
05-26-2020, 09:57 PM
If you going to wear one make sure you clean it after use.

StuBach
05-26-2020, 11:24 PM
You need one for acids if you plan on going crazy and using sulphur to flux. Also works for other smoke.

If you can find the 3M cartridge 60923, that would be best IMO.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Professional-Multi-Purpose-Replacement-Respirator-Cartridges-60923HB1-C/202080142

Plus one on the 3m cartridge mask. Been using one for several years.

Huskerguy
05-26-2020, 11:50 PM
In my younger days I painted cars and later taught it in a college. I don't think things have changed that much with cartridge masks but make certain of a few things. First, it needs to fit correctly. Do a youtube search on how to test a fit. It isn't hard. Second is how you store the mask. Remember the old cigarette commercials about activated charcoal filters? Well, the same thing happens with charcoal filters in masks. When exposed to air they become activated. So you take a filter out it automatically starts to work because it is in the air. Then you throw it on the bench it is still working and then you can't expect it to filter much later on.

You can never really tell how well it is filtering anything, maybe a little more smell than when they were new. People have tried about everything - coffee cans sealed up, entire mask in a sealable bag which is what some actually come in. The last I knew they were telling you to take the filters off (assuming your mask can do that easily and isn't just disposable) and put the filters alone in a smaller bag, push as much air out as possible before sealing.

It isn't going to do you much good to buy a mask if you don't take good care of the cartridges. And one more thing, no matter how hard you try you will never, stay up wind all the time over a pot.

Conditor22
05-27-2020, 02:57 AM
one of the safest ways is to have a large fan sucking the smoke/fumes away from you

How to cast bullets out of scrap lead with champion shooter Jerry Miculek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgQ82Kqhzo

kevin c
05-27-2020, 03:42 AM
...And one more thing, no matter how hard you try you will never, stay up wind all the time over a pot.

This is my experience. Processing lead outdoors in an area with frequent swirling winds, close to a steep berm and buildings, I swear the smoke will chase me around the pot.

The respirator had an impressive effect; all of a sudden the air I was inhaling smelled fresh. But I admit to not wearing it all the time. It gets sweaty and uncomfortable during a long hot day of lead processing. And even if you do wear it, remember that your clothes, exposed skin and hair can be even more contaminated than before if, because of the respirator, you no longer avoid the smoke.

ETA: I tried a big floor fan, but apparently it couldn't create a strong enough draft like Jerry's. The smoke was still an issue. It could be I set the fan too far away; too close and I would lose too much heat. I guess I could have tried using it just when I had the worst of the smoke.

M-Tecs
05-27-2020, 03:46 AM
People have tried about everything - coffee cans sealed up, entire mask in a sealable bag which is what some actually come in. The last I knew they were telling you to take the filters off (assuming your mask can do that easily and isn't just disposable) and put the filters alone in a smaller bag, push as much air out as possible before sealing.

Vacuum sealing stops the reaction on handwarmers so it may work with charcoal filters.

kevin c
05-27-2020, 03:55 AM
If the charcoal or iron or, in my case, the silica gel in desiccant packs are sealed against exposure to what they react with (just a ZipLok freezer bag) then they may stay fresh. The VCI emitters I use come sealed in plastic, to be opened for use. I guess that's the exact reverse situation, keeping the active agent in until ready to be released, rather than keeping reactants out.

djryan13
05-27-2020, 01:17 PM
one of the safest ways is to have a large fan sucking the smoke/fumes away from you

How to cast bullets out of scrap lead with champion shooter Jerry Miculek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgQ82Kqhzo

Jerry says he uses the fan to suck the lead dust away from him... out to his property... not sure that is any better long term. You track that stuff on your feet and kids and dogs eat off your floor. If you have any “lead dust”, I would not be using a fan.

Greg S
05-27-2020, 03:32 PM
For smelting I'd use the same as we use doing demo on old bridges, organic and HEPA piggyback in full faces. Lead fumes are highly concentrated and half faces just take the edge off the cutting fumes. I opt for full face with fresh air cause you can't always be upwind even with a 4 to 6 foot axe.

For what your doing, a half face would be fine with pre-cautions as above and general covid level personal hygiene during and post operations.

siamese4570
05-27-2020, 05:35 PM
Wolfdog, if you're worried about lead exposure, you want a HEPA filter. You can use a cartridge respirator or one of the p99 or p100 face masks. Either one will work.
siamese4570

Pablo 5959
05-27-2020, 07:59 PM
With the P100 cartridge you still smell the smoke.
With the organic with P100 you don’t smell anything.
I use North and 3M half mask.
I found Home depo only sells small or medium sizes. I had to get mine from a construction supply place because I wear a large. (Fit tested).
Also you need good lungs or take brakes often.

Mal Paso
05-27-2020, 08:42 PM
Watch out for self destruct respirators, made of rubber with a shelf life. I had an A/O fail the second time I used it even sealed in a ammo box. Norton makes silicone masks that do not degrade. If you have a lot of smoke smelting, sort out the shotgun wads. LOL

MT Gianni
05-27-2020, 09:17 PM
Lead still vaporizes at 1100 F so keeping your melt temps under that do a lot before you need a good respirator. I believe anything for CV would work as you're more concerned about smoke and dirt than lead vapor.

303Guy
05-27-2020, 09:27 PM
This is my experience. Processing lead outdoors in an area with frequent swirling winds, close to a steep berm and buildings, I swear the smoke will chase me around the pot.

The respirator had an impressive effect; all of a sudden the air I was inhaling smelled fresh. But I admit to not wearing it all the time. It gets sweaty and uncomfortable during a long hot day of lead processing. And even if you do wear it, remember that your clothes, exposed skin and hair can be even more contaminated than before if, because of the respirator, you no longer avoid the smoke.

ETA: I tried a big floor fan, but apparently it couldn't create a strong enough draft like Jerry's. The smoke was still an issue. It could be I set the fan too far away; too close and I would lose too much heat. I guess I could have tried using it just when I had the worst of the smoke.
This is exactly what happens. Being upwind may be worse than downwind because a vortex is formed between you and the pot. I have played with fire - literally - and even a rod will carry the flame up toward your hands, carried by a narrow vortex along the rod, created by the wind. The stronger the wind the stronger the vortex.

Skyman
06-23-2020, 08:53 AM
Some years ago there was an article on this forum about lead fumes. In a nutshell the conclusion was that the smelting fumes generally comes from a dirt mixed with wheel weights or other lead collected wherever. Then it was explained that the lead develops poisonous fumes only at a boiling point. Difference between boiling and melting is huge! Lead melts at 621F (327.5 deg C) and boils at 3180 deg F (1749 deg C). Casting doesn't bring you anywhere near to the boiling temperature as you cast at around 670 - 700 deg F. So, yes it is better to be in a well ventilated room for your own comfort. Just my loud thinking an HO!

Cosmic_Charlie
06-23-2020, 10:20 AM
It would be easy enough to test for airborne lead around your pot. I am in the camp that believes that at the temps we cast at there is no airborne lead. I suppose if your fluxing agent catches fire there might be some risk. Mine does not. I'm sure that you could have a respirator cartridge tested for lead.

charlie b
06-23-2020, 11:51 AM
I agree, there is no danger from lead fumes as the vapor pressure is so high. I use a P100 respirator but mainly for dust and fumes from the flux. When casting I don't wear it.

Silvercreek Farmer
06-23-2020, 06:28 PM
I sort out all the valve stems and sickons then use a weed burner on top of the lead and turkey fryer below. I get very little smoke or stink. Mostly from the clips as they cool. After I skim them, I drag them well away before pouring my ingots. Had my biggest smelting/casting/loading/shooting year ever last year and my lead level was fine.

WRideout
06-25-2020, 08:29 PM
In my tenure as a company safety officer, I learned a few things about respirators.
1. Engineering controls are the first line of defense. This includes things like adequate ventilation.
2. Regular masks, like the ones sold in paint stores, are not effective for toxic dusts.
3. A true respirator needs to be fitted to the wearer, and tested for effectiveness. Different brands work for different people. A good safety supply company can walk you through the process.
4. The filter cartridge needs to be suitable for the contaminant(s) involved. Again, the safety supply company can advise. There are multi-use cartridges, but there is no universal cartridge.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

rintinglen
06-26-2020, 10:24 AM
To second what Wayne said, (I, too, was a safety officer.) I had 172 employees to annually fit test and issue appropriate masks. Almost every one was well served with a 3M mask. They come in three sizes and several styles and require fitting for correct wear. There were a couple of people whom we had to provide with Positive-pressure masks and one guy who needed a North Small. For lead dust, we issued half masks with N-95 filters. For Sodium Hypochlorite and Ammonia, we issued either Orange, or green tagged cartridges, black was for organo-poisons, IIRC.

However, I recommend doing your casting/smelting outdoors and avoiding the use of a mask when possible. We had a couple of guys come down with some pretty bad rashes working in hot environments. Whenever possible, we tried to use maximum artificial ventilation to avoid their use. I seem to recall reading somewhere that wearing a mask increased fatigue by up to 20%, but I can't remember where I saw that. In any event, there are drawbacks to masks as well as advantages.

Idz
06-26-2020, 11:05 AM
One thing to remember is any mask will provide some protection. When I was in school in the 1960s the chemicals with a death-head were the bad ones to avoid. Now environmental rules have everything labelled toxic so people ignore the 10 pages of lawyer-eze and get in trouble.

fa38
06-27-2020, 11:26 AM
I wear one when I am starting a new batch of lead usually about 70 pounds.

mdi
06-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Here ya go. Can't ever be too "safe" https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-heatproof-radiation-inflaming-retarding/dp/B0797GLVC7/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=biohazard+suit&qid=1593281875&sr=8-16 :groner:

ReloaderEd
06-27-2020, 04:01 PM
You need a hood over the lead smelter to suck the smoke out of your work area... I wouldn't trust a mask of any kind