PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo gun question

pumpguy
11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I have a chance to buy a SS Phoenix Arms .22 with two barrels. I know this is one of the cheapo "Saturday Night Specials" that everyone talks about. I don't want to take it out as a backup to a bear hunt, but, I thought it might be a decent little CCW. Anybody have one or have any thoughts on them?

Bret4207
11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Deringer?

dubber123
11-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I would only choose a .22 as a last ditch choice. I have seen so many failures with .22's at the pistol shoots I run, it's not funny. The ammo isn't sealed hardly at all. The slightest hint of oil or moisture WILL make it to the powder, and you will get a CLICK when you really need it. Is the same gun available in .25? I would at least bet on getting a bang with a .25.

jhrosier
11-26-2008, 07:11 PM
pumpguy,

If you are going to carry a .22 for personal protection, you might as well carry one, like the Phoenix, that might not work. That way you won't be tempted to try to use it.
:brokenima

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Assuming that your life is worth something, carry a reliable gun in a caliber that is capable of ending a 'social' encounter with you still alive. There are a ton of good used S&W .38 Spl snubbies that will work out a lot better. I don't care for the airweight guns myself but they are very popular for pocket carry.

My personal choice is a S&W M640. It is a stainless, hammerless .357 Mag. I don't mind the 23 oz. weight. The recoil is definitely uncomfortable and I practice with lighter loads and fire a (very) few full loads at the end of a range session just to stay familiar with it.

If nothing else, a good quality gun will have some resale value if you decide to get rid of it.

Jack

Kuato
11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Those pistols are fun for plinkin. The fact that 22lr's priming is spun into the base of the casing makes them inherently unreliable. Not something I'd wanna bet my life on ( Murphy is always watching ). I agree with jhrosier, get a good 38 spl or even a 380acp or a 9 Makarov.

Save the plinking for tin cans, not violent criminals.

pumpguy
11-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I have a half a dozen different guns that I would feel comfortable carrying. This is a gun an old guy I have bought a lot of guns from has. Just wondered if it was worth getting.

Lee
11-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Good price? Get it. Any gun is better than no gun. Jus' aks Obama.....

Treeman
11-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Little .22s are so much fun that I would definitely pursue it. Best choice for defense? No but a LOT better than nothing.

EMC45
11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
That is a fun gun! Pretty accurate too. Carry something else to save your hide though.

BBA
11-27-2008, 09:56 AM
My daughter has one and loves it. She has put several thousand CCI minimags thru it. As a CCW, I would look for something else, but for a fun plinker it works well.

anachronism
11-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Hopefully you wouldn't have to shoot anyone with it. That might just make them angry. If you're going to carry a gun for defense, carry one that will do the job. Personally, my life is worth more than the protection a cheap .22 offers. You could always hope to just scare them and hope you'll never have to pull the trigger. I often hear such tripe as "I'd shoot 'em in the eye", or "I'd sure hate to be shot with one". Significantly, there is no .22 ammunition being marketed as being suitable for self-defense. Holmes would call that a "clue".

pumpguy
11-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I did not mean to imply that this would be a primary carry gun. I will use the Mak or the SP101 for that. I really just want to know if this gun is worth purchasing or just another cheap piece of crap. I try to help this guy out where I can as he is poorly set up to be retired and he is selling off all his guns for some funds. I have bought all of the ones I wanted, but, he still has a few left that he wants me to get. I probably ought to just give him a couple hundred bucks and not worry about the guns. I think he might feel funny about that and I don't want to offend him.

Safeshot
11-27-2008, 10:53 PM
If the barrels are a "long" and a "short", Put the long one on it and take it out and shoot it. You might be pleasantly surprised at the accuracy. Also put the short barrel on it and see if it will function, if it does - try to purchaase it. They did not sell for a very high price when new. You might want to check the "Gun Trader" value/prices before you make an offer. All that I have seen have been "pot metal" frames. Some of them shot and functioned well some NOT SO WELL. They can be fun if they function reliably. Good luck, Safeshot