PDA

View Full Version : Bergara Encore Barrels

leadman
11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I purchased 2 Encore barrels made by Bergara Barrels, a CVA affiliate. One is in 243 Win and the other is in 270 Win. Both 24" and stainless steel except for the extractor in the 270 barrel.
I had to send the 270 barrel back because it has .0035" vertical play at the breech end of the barrel. After many phone calls and an e-mail I got up early several mornings and called when they first opened. This took several tries. Bergera wanted me to send the frame to them so they could fit a barrel to the frame!
One reason for buying an Encore so the frame doesn't have to have the barrel fit to it.
Does anyone else use these barrels and what are your experiences????

Seafarer12
11-26-2008, 07:08 PM
I have a 7mm-08 barrel I got from Midway. I haven't had any issues with it besides the packaging which wears spots in the finish. It fits and functions just fine. I would say they are any worse than TC. Their barrels don't fit any better. I have a Contender and out of the 5 barrels I have had to hand fit 2 of them. Both barrels I had to stone the locking lug.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I have heard of several Bergara barrels having this problem. Mike Belm sell these barrels and as good as he is with the Encores I think I would purchase thru him. Tell him about the problem and I think he would checkout the barrel before shipping.

leadman
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I sent the barrel to Bergara on Nov. 21. Have not heard a thing yet. Might be time for another phone call Monday. I gave them my address, phone number and e-mail address so they could contact me.

Seafarer12
12-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Well they have only had it for 2 weeks and one of those weeks was a holiday. It might take 4 weeks to hear anything.

leadman
12-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, I called them last Friday morning and they could not locate any info on my barrel so they said they would give me a call on Monday. Monday came and went, no call. Tuesday a new barrel showed up with a Bellm oversized hinge pin to fit the hinge hole in the new barrel better. Can't they size the hinge pin hole better ????
Will have to take it out and shoot it this next week and will report.

Seafarer12
12-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Does the over sized pin fit in your frame?

largom
12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I have 3 Encore frames and 8 barrels, they ALL have or take the Bellm 1X oversized pin. I have installed dozens of these pins in customers guns to improve accuracy.
LARRY

NSP64
12-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I have been in touch with Mike Bellm about his 30bellm barrel for hunting in Illinois. I will order one this spring.

Underclocked
12-21-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.shootstraighttv.com/gal/122714458932198.jpg

CVA Apex in .300 Win Mag :)

Seafarer12
12-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I have 3 Encore frames and 8 barrels, they ALL have or take the Bellm 1X oversized pin. I have installed dozens of these pins in customers guns to improve accuracy.
LARRY

I am shooting a 3 shot clover leaf with my 7mm-08 Bergara and the stock pin. I have an oversize pin sitting in my desk but never bothered to put it in. I didn't figure I would improve it much more. I also like switching barrels and having driving out hindge pin is kind of a pain.

largom
12-22-2008, 12:00 AM
If you are shooting clover leafs wiyh your barrel & frame, GREAT. But if you can push the hinge pin out with easy finger pressure it is too loose. The Bergara barrel works were started with input from Ed Shilen so their tolerances are probably much tighter than TC barrels. However, I think that as you switch between different barrels you will find your accuracy is going to suffer. Just my opinion.
LARRY

Seafarer12
12-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Thats why I didn't like the idea of having to drive in the hindge pin. I figured eventually it would wollow the hole out. In my opinion if you can't switch barrels around on a TC there isn't much use for one.

leadman
12-22-2008, 11:29 PM
The oversize pin will go in when tapped in with a plastic hammer. I don't think I will use it as I do change barrels at the range frequently. The arthritis is getting so bad I have lost alot of my dexterity and it is litteraly a pain to drive the pin in and out. I have no slop in the hinge pin with my Pro Hunter 7mm Rem barrel so had to use the oversized pin.
Raining now so will have to wait until later to test fire it.

Underclocked
12-28-2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.cva.com./rifles-apex.html

http://www.cva.com./images/feats/apexcfrfblk7mm.gif

just in case anyone is interested... :)

leadman
01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
The Apex looks interesting. CVA is part of BPI (Black Powder Industries), which Bergara is also part of.

Took the new 270 Winchester Bergera barrel to the range today. Factory Winchester 130gr. Power points and my reloads all went into less than an 1 1/2". I think this will be an excellent barrel when shot some more. The best part is it doesn't rattle when it supposed to be locked up!

Silicon Wolverine
01-16-2009, 10:21 PM
i had a knight optima elite with a bergara 7mm-08 barrel on it that was the biggest pile of crap ive ever owned. i was never able to properly sight it in because bergara had the scope mounts so close together on the barrel they had to use a cateliver scope mount that moved whenever i pulled the trigger. the lockup on it was good but i tried other barrels and never could get a decnet fit other than the barrel it came with. got rid of the whole works a year ago and havent regretted it for a second. ill keep my handi rifles.

SW

leadman
01-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Got to looking at the breech of the Bergara 270 Win. barrel. Saw a bit of polishing at the top so checked the clearance between the standing breech and the barrel. Less than .001" at the top. Should be able to take care of this with no problem with a file. Bellm said this is not a rare thing, much better than a barrel that rattles or has tooo much clearance.