PDA

View Full Version : Ground meat jerky recipe's please.

45nut
11-26-2008, 04:32 PM
title says it all,, homemade spice mixes please. tips and tricks?

waksupi
11-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Kinda depends on what you like, Ken. The last batch I did, I used High Country spice mix. All in all, cheaper than buying spices separately. I use about 1/4-1/3 of the spice they recommend, otherwise it comes out too salty for my taste. I do add some extra black and white pepper.
I have done it, with just adding salt and pepper, but it came out rather bland.
I have used a cookie press/caulk gun type tool for making the ground strips before. This last batch, I was making slim jims, and ran out of casings. So, I just ran the rest of the meat through the stiffer, resulting in a round section of meat, about 3/4" in diameter, that I laid on my dehydrator screens. Dried down to about 1/2" diameter. Came out a bit dryer than I prefer, but still worked well.
Biggest advantage of the ground jerky, it is easier on the teeth, and gives you something else to do with scrap, rather than making burger!

todd987
11-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I use 5lbs lean burger and add the following. 1-15oz bottle of soy sauce, 1-15oz bottle Worcestershire sauce and 5 Tbsp Texas Pete hot sauce.
I mix and let sit in the fridge overnight.
This is a wet mix that won’t work well in the caulk gun type jerky gun.
I hand flatten out the mix on a cookie sheet and pull out pieces with a spatula.
After the pieces are on the dehydrator rack a give them a good shake of hot blends pepper mix (black and red).
It has a little bite but really goes well with a cold beverage.