PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lee hand press

trooperdan
05-25-2020, 04:33 PM
I love the Lee hand press! I often use an adapter for 310 dies and use those Lyman die sets when I'm just piddling around, much easier than the Lyman tong tool but I have one problem with it... the short hand grip. I thought I had once seen a Lee press with an longer grip area and it might even have had finger grooves. Has anyone seen a version like that with a longer grip?

The normal short grip cramps my hand petty quickly. Or maybe some one here has had a brilliant idea on something to add to the grip to extend it a bit. I was thinking of a length of pipe sealed on the bottom somehow and cast full of lead to serve as an extended handle. I'm sure someone here has a better idea, pretty sure the lead would loosen up pretty quickly in use.

dsh1106
05-25-2020, 05:30 PM
You're probably thing about the Lyman Accu-Press it can be used by hand or mounted for more leverage.

Scott

Der Gebirgsjager
05-25-2020, 06:17 PM
I saw one that was modified with some tubing that was squished on one end so as to slide over the Lee's handles and affixed with a set screw, and had rubber bicycle handles on the other end of the tubing. But, although it greatly improved the leverage effort required to operate it, the down side was that it became more cumbersome and ungainly to operate.

rancher1913
05-25-2020, 07:33 PM
look into the buecannon hand press(spelled wrong but its phonetically close) I think he is a vendor here and he makes a larger easier to operate version.

1hole
05-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Lee's hand press is aimed at the narrow range of portable reloading needs and is excellent for that market, it is not meant to be the tool of choice for normal reloading.

Bazoo
05-25-2020, 07:46 PM
I like my hand press, and I don't find the handles uncomfortable. That said, it isn't meant for high volume loading. I once took a hand press and made wooden handle inserts to fit on each side of the web of the grips. I followed the shape of the web, just making a solid surface instead of a an angle iron surface to grab. I JB welded them I'm place and stained them red. I didn't make the grips longer, just more comfortable to pull against. It helped some but ultimately I went back and bought an unaltered press.

Mk42gunner
05-25-2020, 08:15 PM
I've got one of the Lyman Accu-Presses.I think it is easier to use than the Lee hand press; but I don't use it very much.

About the only time I break it out anymore is if I am shooting BP loaded cartridges, and want to deprime at the range.

Robert

Biggin
05-25-2020, 10:07 PM
I bought one thinking it would be a great way to size and deprime while watching tv. Don't watch tv anymore and it's not that comfortable to use don't really use it for anything anymore.

Bazoo
05-25-2020, 11:20 PM
I use my hand press outside a lot. I really like the design of the lee press but it just needs a few tweaks.

mdi
05-26-2020, 12:16 PM
The Lee hand press is what it is. I wasn't made to replace a bench mounted press and is an upgrade from a Lee Loader and it uses standard dies. It works perfectly for a portable, low production press even though some use it for "normal" production. I have done everything on my Lee hand press that I did on a bench mounted single stage press but some processes were uncomfortable (F/L sizing 30-06 brass.) and I even sized a bunch of my cast bullets when my normal "sizing press" was busy.

Hmm, reminds me, I got a bunch of 9mm cases to be deprimed and I might just get my Lee hand press out and reacquaint myself with it...

uscra112
05-26-2020, 12:22 PM
Buy cheap, buy twice.

The Lee hand press is easily bent out of line when used to the limit of its' leverage. Ask me how I know. OK for pistol cartridges and neck-sizing rifle cartridges, not OK for FL sizing anything bigger than .32-20. Adding a length to the handle will only exacerbate the problem. If you load away from the bench, get a Buchanan hand press. Expensive, yes, but you'll never bend it, break it, or wear it out no matter how long you live. It will handle even the big belted magnum cases with ease.

rbuck351
05-26-2020, 01:08 PM
I have used mine pretty hard without bending it. For resizing large rifle brass I sit in a chair and hold the press between my knees and use both legs and arms to push the handles together. I use Unique case lube which lessens stress on the press compared to other lubes I have used.

turtlezx
05-26-2020, 01:27 PM
i full length resized 308 brass 1000 of them no problem

Silvercreek Farmer
05-26-2020, 01:45 PM
I place one handle on my chest and pull in the other with both arms. Keeps the press nice and straight. Might not be fun but it works, I've FL sized 30-06 with no issues.

Bazoo
05-26-2020, 03:28 PM
I've resized a lot of 30-30 with my hand press. I've done a dew 30-06 but it is a fair amount harder. I've found Hornady one shot reduces the amount of force needed over imperial case lube.

Having never used a Buchanan press, I can only theorize it being slower and more cumbersome than the lee if there wasn't a table to use it with. Yes I'm sure it's way better quality, and I'd like one for that reason.

Mk42gunner
05-26-2020, 06:56 PM
The only thing I have found that my Accu Press isn't up to, even with compound leverage, is forming .40-65 from .45-70. There is just no way, even with the press on the floor and leaning on it; while it is almost effortless with the bolted down Rock Chucker.

Moral of the story is to know the limits of you tools, and don't exceed them.

Robert

shtur
05-26-2020, 09:02 PM
I used my Lee Hand Press in the evenings when I was working out of town to deprime and resize pistol brass. It's been a few years since I used it, but it takes so little space, I'll keep it for now.

mdi
05-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Hmmm. Does Lee sell two hand presses? The one that many use and will F/L size large bottle necked cases and the "buy cheap, buy twice" ones that break on 38 Special cases? Any time Lee is mentioned the "experts" grace us with their expert opinions on everything from metallurgy to engineering and modern manufacturing materials and methods...

dragon813gt
05-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Having never used a Buchanan press, I can only theorize it being slower and more cumbersome than the lee if there wasn't a table to use it with. Yes I'm sure it's way better quality, and I'd like one for that reason.
You don’t need a table but it helps. I’ve used mine w/out one sitting in a hotel room and using it on my lap. I don’t do any “heavy” operations like that. In general I don’t do any “heavy” operations w/ it. It will resize rifle cases. But it takes considerable effort, case dependent. There are better tools for that job. What it allows me to do is load ammo when I’m away from home. I have a portable kit made up for this exact purpose. Some operations are done on a conventional press in advance.

Bazoo
05-27-2020, 05:18 PM
You don’t need a table but it helps. I’ve used mine w/out one sitting in a hotel room and using it on my lap. I don’t do any “heavy” operations like that. In general I don’t do any “heavy” operations w/ it. It will resize rifle cases. But it takes considerable effort, case dependent. There are better tools for that job. What it allows me to do is load ammo when I’m away from home. I have a portable kit made up for this exact purpose. Some operations are done on a conventional press in advance.

Thank you for the information.

W.R.Buchanan
06-01-2020, 04:33 PM
OK; let me explain again.

When I designed my tool I had a Lee Hand Press in my hands. The leverage on that tool works exactly like a crankshaft, the leverage increases the closer you get to "top dead center." I optimized that ratio on mine and also increased the ratio between the pivot points on the handles. Mine has about 30% more mechanical advantage over the Lee Tool.

There is a video on Youtube where Gavin is sizing fired .308 Machine Gun Brass, which is about the hardest stuff there is to size, in one stroke !!! It takes me 3 strokes on my Rockchucker.

It will size any brass round shorter than 3.75". I have one guy who does .577 NE on his in the field. People are using it for sizing boolits, which I never intended, but if it will, then do it. About the only way you can hurt it is by dropping it on a cement floor.

By following the instructions included with the tool you see that F/L sizing operations are done in front of your chest using both arms opposing each other. then turn the press sideways to remove the cartridge from the die. The hardest cases I've done myself were .375 Weatherby Mags. And pushing the case into the die was not hard at all . Getting it back out over the expander ball was hard because the press was way down in its lowest leverage area and the expander ball was on an old style and had square edges instead of the newer oval shape.

Every other operation is most easily done by clamping the press to a table top. The .577 guy put a piece of Velcro Tape on the bottom of his press and made a Velcro Strap to go around his leg and loaded ammo every night at the campfire. So you can do everything without clamping to a table. It is just easier to clamp it to a table. The clamps are $5 ?

See the video here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=1s There are others there as well.

I have loaded lots of .30-06's .308's .303 Brits, .45-70's and .44 magnums. I once did 200 .30 Cal. Carbines in 2 hours. The tool is just as fast as a bench mounted single stage press and especially if you got the LNL Version..

Randy

uscra112
06-01-2020, 05:26 PM
The problem with the Lee design is the same as all the old "C" type presses - the force isn't resolved symmetrically, so the frame bends in response. Even if it doesn't take a permanent set, like mine did, it gets forced out of alignment with every stroke. Misalignment gives you base heads which are out-of-square. You won't notice it in pistols, but it's a known factor when dealing with precision rifle brass.

I have for many years used a pair of H.D.S. Compac tools, (the predecessor to Randy's design) which RCBS sold for a few years. While they are not quite as strong as Randy's tool, they will easily size anything that will fit in, and because the force resolution paths are symmetrical, the ram and die always stay in alignment.

Love the Velcro idea! It would certainly work!

dbosman
06-01-2020, 06:44 PM
You've got to use common sense, but I can't encourage that stance as my merely months old daughter kicked my sternum hard enough to crack it. That only hurt when laughing, smiling, or catching a deep breath. ;-)

I place one handle on my chest and pull in the other with both arms. Keeps the press nice and straight. Might not be fun but it works, I've FL sized 30-06 with no issues.

Bazoo
06-01-2020, 07:09 PM
There is no way the Buchanan press is as fast as a bench press, especially a c press, for operations other than sizing rifle brass. For belling brass or for sizing pistol brass or for primer seating even, I get a rythme going and move my left hand with the next case as my right hand is operating the press handle. Having to have both hands on either the lee hand press or the Buchanan greatly decreases the speed. Now, that's not to say the Buchanan press isn't top quality.

dragon813gt
06-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Who’s saying it’s faster? It fills a different niche then a bench mounted press. I can load in a hotel room or at the range or anywhere I want w/ the kit I made up. I can’t do that w/ a bench mounted press. The presses I have at home are different designs and they all vary greatly in speed as well. I would not want to be w/out the presses at home just like would not want to be w/ out Randy’s press.

Bazoo
06-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Randy said it in the last paragraph of his last post.

dragon813gt
06-01-2020, 09:36 PM
Randy said it in the last paragraph of his last post.

Missed that part. I won’t argue speed because everyone works at a different pace. Batch processing does go at a pretty good clip if you want it to. And it’s certainly faster when you’re using it somewhere where a conventional press isn’t available. Like I said, it fills a niche.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7888/46523073925_4f0ed4a3e2_k.jpg

uscra112
06-01-2020, 11:08 PM
With Randy's press clamped to a table, I think I could size as many cases per hour as I could with the Rockchucker. And I wouldn't be banging my knee or other sensitive body parts with the press handle, either.

For either one I have an ultra-simple "case kicker" that ejects the sized case at the bottom of the stroke, which really speeds up sizing pistol and small rifle cases.

c0wb0y84
06-01-2020, 11:53 PM
And I wouldn't be banging my knee or other sensitive body parts with the press handle, either.

I don't think you're doing it right... :kidding:

W.R.Buchanan
06-03-2020, 04:35 PM
Bazoo: If you'd buy one, you'd be able to evaluate it a little more accurately. You've never even held one in your hands or seen one in person. How could you possibly know how to operate it? It is just as fast as any Single Stage Press and I know that because I HAVE loaded thousands of rounds with mine. That video of loading 5 rounds of .44 Mags is 8:35 long, that included Me talking about it.

Usually takes 30-40 minutes to load a box of 50 ea. .308's, .30-06's or .303's with Neck Sizing. Throwing and weighing the powder charges takes the most time. I use an RCBS PM with a drop tube with a Trickler in the drop tube. Charge is dropped directly into the pan on the digital scale about .2-.3 short and the trickled to +/-.1 This all takes about 5-10 seconds unless I drop the pan and have to clean up the mess.

I loaded 200 .30 Cal. Carbine rounds for a friend in 2 hours. All operations were done clamped to the table because they didn't take that much force to size. Priming was done with a RCBS Hand Tool, Cases were belled and charged in the next operation, bullets seated and then crimped in the same operation. It took about 30-35 minutes to run all 200 rounds thru one operation, except the priming which only took 15 minutes. Cases were charged directly from the PM using H110 while going back to the loading block.

That is 6-7 rounds a minute, or 9-10 seconds per round. Not even breaking a sweat as I was sitting in my dining room. You can develop a rhythm just as easily with this tool as you can with any other. I also have a background in Production Machining on Manual Machines so I can figure out a process pretty quick. It really ain't that hard.

Randy

Green Frog
06-03-2020, 06:44 PM
If your sole concern is speed, buy a high dollar progressive and have at it.

A single stage or turret press will enable you to load high quality ammunition in a reasonably efficient manner.

A portable press such as the Lee, the discontinued Lyman, Randy's or any of the less known ones will not be quite as fast or have the leverage advantage of a bench press, but they are portable.

So you buy what suits your needs, and if you are sufficiently enthusiastic about reloading buy one or more of each!

Froggie

dragon813gt
06-03-2020, 08:52 PM
So you buy what suits your needs, and if you are sufficiently enthusiastic about reloading buy one or more of each!

I fall into this category. I don’t have an automated progressive but have all the rest. Because of my work schedule I use Randy’s press the most. But I don’t see a reason to own only it. That’s like owning one gun. Talk about a boring life [emoji6]

JCM45
12-24-2020, 12:37 PM
I use my Lee hand press a lot with handgun cartridges when it's too hot in the garage to run my bench presses. Use it for sizing, de-priming, flaring, bullet seating and crimping. Typically do not load more than 100 cartridges at a time, though.

44magLeo
12-28-2020, 07:55 PM
About the only thing I don't like about the Lee hand press is the way it handles spent primers. The ram doesn't hold may and isn't easy to dump. If it was designed with a drop tube off the bottom of the ram like thier Challenger press it would ne nicer.
Leo

country gent
12-28-2020, 11:12 PM
If all you want is more hand grip length not a truly longer lever then there is a way.
pick up some 1/4" x width of wide part of handle in the length of the desired extension plus a couple inches or so. 2 3/16 - 1/4" roll pins the same width as the handle. SOme good epoxy JB weld, plastic steel, plastic aluminum or such.
Lay out a 1/4" wide groove thru the center of the handle the wide way. drill a 1/4" hole at the bottom on center of soon to be slot. Cut slot in small with a fine toothed hacksaw lubed with wax. ( an endmill and 1/4 endmill makes this way easier) glue the 1/4" by in the slot clamp and let cure. 1/2" up from bottom and 1/2" down from top on center drill and press the roll pins in. You now have the needed extension sticking up. If you have room for it drill a 1/4" hole thru this part and counter sink on each side. with modeling clay tape ot rubber tubing form up the new grip from bottom to top. With clay form it around handle with a thick wall cut in half and raise up to needed height and reform around sealing the seam off as best as possible. Mix epoxy (here a thinner is better) and pour in to top of form and keep it filed as the cross hole countersinks and air bubbles voids fill. Let cure and remove clay. File end to shape and remove sharp edges. When done you have a longer handle with a steel brace / support in it that matches the original. Fill in any voids and paint lee red.

If you increase the dia of the handles all the way down then the 2 roll pins will be filled and hidden also. If the 1/4" slot dosnt look to leave enough on each side go to 1/8" wide

uscra112
12-28-2020, 11:47 PM
No offense, C.G., but it's already possible to bend the aluminum Lee without adding to grip length. I did it, and I'm not Superman.

country gent
12-29-2020, 12:29 PM
None taken. I assumed he had big hands that didnt fit the grip comfortably. If the added length is an issue he could as easily make the clay form and lower the grip to make the grip longer. I didnt think to post this sorry.

Alferd Packer
03-06-2021, 06:24 PM
I saw my friend use a pair of leather gloves with the thumb and first finger cut off.
He said it made things work perfect for him.
Another uses a couple pieces of black rubber pipe insulation on the handles.
I was a construction worker and mechanic so my hands were tough.
They were a teacher and an office manager. Hands a little softer.
It can make the needed difference.
When doing repetitious work using handles.

Alferd Packer
03-06-2021, 06:34 PM
Another thing, when I reload, I never reload against the clock. It makes a thing tedious. I enjoy reloading and only check the time to keep appointments.
I reload till I am tired or to finish a batch.
It's more fun that way.
It takes as long as it takes.
Sometimes I set up to reload on Dillon 550 to load, other times I decap using a LEE primer punch or resize using a single stage RCBS Rockchucker.
Never monotonous, but rather taking different paths to the same result.
Just because I can, I also use the LEE hand press too.

Green Frog
03-06-2021, 06:57 PM
For the record Randy, does your press play well with ALL brands of “standard” (RCBS type) shell holders! I just changed a shell holder on a limited production re- and decapping (only) tool and was amazed to discover that it would work well with a RCBS shell holder, but not with a Lee(???). I had never had another tool of any sort give me that problem before, but it did make me wonder.

Froggie

W.R.Buchanan
03-08-2021, 02:22 PM
Mine seems to work with all brands, I have Lee, C&H, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, and some others? You do realize that shell holders are supposed to be standardized as far as the base's configuration. That way they fit in anyone's Press Ram. I'm talking the O/D of the base, and the thickness of that base, and the width of the groove above the base. They are the only dims that matter.

My Shell Holder Adapter is a copy of C&H's and Dave told me to make my own as he couldn't supply me with enough, so I copied his dimensions but made the part from 303 stainless. Then I took his retaining clip to a friend with a spring winding shop and got them made too. I've got another run in the works right now.

All my parts are made on pretty advanced CNC machines and the programs have been sussed out completely over several runs so the parts come out the same way every time. The Aluminum parts area all made on a 5 Axis Machining Center and the last three runs have been completely interchangeable,,, meaning parts from one run are exactly the same as parts from the other two runs like there was no break in the run..

Anyone who has done production machining knows that the parts always vary to some degree, and especially from one run to the next. What I've got going on right now is yielding the best quality and most consistent tools I've produced and every one is coming out nearly perfect.

I sold 4 more over this last weekend. People are really getting scared and realizing that it might be a good idea to start reloading. This Hand Press is the best answer for someone who doesn't want to set up a whole dedicated Reloading Bench or doesn't have the room for one, but still wants a quality tool that will last for a long time..

Pretty happy with the 100% positive reviews.

I have another product I have been selling for the last 25 years, and I have shipped right at 14,000 of my Jeep Seat Riser Kits which raise the seats up in Jeep Wranglers made from 97-06.

I have received exactly "two" back for a refund! That is a record that is unheard for any product and especially over a 25 year period of sales. We are selling more now than ever before, mainly because they made 6 million of those Jeeps and the seats are too low in every single one of them!

So far the Hand Press has been 100%, and I intend to keep it that way.

Randy

uscra112
03-08-2021, 02:35 PM
......People are really getting scared and realizing that it might be a good idea to start reloading.......

Randy

I'll say! Powder scarce, primers ultra-scarce, factory bullets, brass, and now even tools! On another thread a guy needed a .30-06 shellholder, and could not find one to buy. Only the most common shellholder there is.....

Gotta double down on what Randy said: For a startup, kitchen-table reloader, there is no better press than his.

VariableRecall
03-08-2021, 03:00 PM
I'm using the Lee Hand Press as my exclusive reloading method since that's all I've got. My bro and I have loaded almost 2,000 rounds so far with our little press. While I'm somewhat apprehensive sizing .223 with the hand press, it seems doable. I think for pistol reloading it's just about perfect. Although, I think I may have to build up a little more confidence with it to run rifle dies with it.

W.R.Buchanan
03-09-2021, 02:09 PM
Variable: Sizing .223 on a Lee press should be no problem at all. In fact going up to .308's or .30-06 shouldn't be a problem either.

On Youtube there is a video of Gavin Gear sizing .308 Machine Gun brass . It is some of the most difficult stuff there is to resize due to the thickness of the brass and the loose chambers it is fired in. It takes me three strokes to do it on my Rockchucker. He was doing it in one stroke with my press !

If you are lacking confidence in the Lee tool you could get one of mine and not have to worry about it. I have one guy who loads .577 Nitro Express with his, and several others doing .338 Lapua.

Randy

uscra112
03-09-2021, 02:39 PM
High sizing force, as in sizing MG brass, will bend the Lee out of line. Ask me how I know.

Yooper003
03-10-2021, 01:34 PM
I mainly use my Lee hand press for the low pressure jobs,use it with the universal case neck expanding die quire a bit, little pressure needed & good feel. I usually pull the depriming pin out of sizing dies so deprive off that press & hand press works good for that.works upside down for boolit sizing. I have a small wood vise mounted to bench that works good to clamp hand vice in & use it that way also.

bcp477
03-18-2021, 07:18 AM
Never used anything but the Lee hand press. Never needed any other press. Even used one to re- form 30/06 and 270 Win. cases into 8mm Mauser ones. Nary a problem.

I did break one hand press, years ago, though. I was pulling down 7.62 NATO ammo, which happened to have a thick, asphalt-like sealant around the bullets. I wanted to save the components for re-use, so I did not use a solvent to dissolve the sealant, for fear of contaminating the powder. So, anyway, the Lee presses are not indestructable. But, I put the broken press back together with a couple added pcs of angle bracket material and pop rivets...and used it just to decap cases. Worked just fine for that.

Alferd Packer
04-05-2021, 02:17 PM
I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.Yes, the LEE is not perfect and there's a good chance we'll never see anyone correct the deficiencies with a redesign of this model.
Barring machine gun and asphalt glued cases and some of us trying to resize cases without lube or without proper lube, the old girl still comes off as usable for most reloading chores
I like to use it for .25, 32,both acp and .32 S&W as well as .32 H&R., .38 special and sometimes .223 and .30-30.
.308 and .30'06.
I usually resize with RCBS jr. press the .357 mag, .44 mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 45-70Govt, 444 Marlin just because it's easier, but not because it can't be done otherwise.
The LEE Handloader is enjoyable with the smaller cases also.
It can work up a sweat sizing 44 mag, 45 Colt, 45/70 and 444Marlin As well as .303 Brit.full loads. .357 Mag hot loads are also a bit strenuous.But, like I said, they are all doable of that's all you've got. An arbor press as well as a six inch Machinist vise makes easy work of the LEE Handloader.
The hand press, will handle them as well but it will aid even carbide dies to lube the cases. That's a must for straight cases and carbide dies on the larger calibers and Magnum pistol especially.
I have even used lube on the bench mounted presses and Carbide dies with the Mag loaded and larger cases when sizing.
It's so much easier.
I like easy.
And when tackling a job of sizing that becomes hard on the Hand Press, remember the lube and also lube the ram press a little extra every now and then.Bearings are meant to float on the lube that separates them. Bearings are not meant to run against each other.The clearance is for the lube to keep them separated. When you operate the ram without lubing it, you are introducing a little extra friction making it harder to resize a Mag shell.
I find a shot of lube on the press ram makes thing go easier.

gwpercle
04-05-2021, 04:37 PM
Never used anything but the Lee hand press. Never needed any other press. Even used one to re- form 30/06 and 270 Win. cases into 8mm Mauser ones. Nary a problem.

I did break one hand press, years ago, though. I was pulling down 7.62 NATO ammo, which happened to have a thick, asphalt-like sealant around the bullets. I wanted to save the components for re-use, so I did not use a solvent to dissolve the sealant, for fear of contaminating the powder. So, anyway, the Lee presses are not indestructable. But, I put the broken press back together with a couple added pcs of angle bracket material and pop rivets...and used it just to decap cases. Worked just fine for that.

Next time seat the sealed projectiles a little deeper into the case ... this breaks the seal and they are then much easier to pull them ... even with an inertia (hammer ) type bullet puller ...
Trust me on this one ...it works big time .
Gary

gwpercle
04-05-2021, 04:55 PM
I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.Yes, the LEE is not perfect and there's a good chance we'll never see anyone correct the deficiencies with a redesign of this model.
Barring machine gun and asphalt glued cases and some of us trying to resize cases without lube or without proper lube, the old girl still comes off as usable for most reloading chores
I like to use it for .25, 32,both acp and .32 S&W as well as .32 H&R., .38 special and sometimes .223 and .30-30.
.308 and .30'06.
I usually resize with RCBS jr. press the .357 mag, .44 mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 45-70Govt, 444 Marlin just because it's easier, but not because it can't be done otherwise.
The LEE Handloader is enjoyable with the smaller cases also.
It can work up a sweat sizing 44 mag, 45 Colt, 45/70 and 444Marlin As well as .303 Brit.full loads. .357 Mag hot loads are also a bit strenuous.But, like I said, they are all doable of that's all you've got. An arbor press as well as a six inch Machinist vise makes easy work of the LEE Handloader.
The hand press, will handle them as well but it will aid even carbide dies to lube the cases. That's a must for straight cases and carbide dies on the larger calibers and Magnum pistol especially.
I have even used lube on the bench mounted presses and Carbide dies with the Mag loaded and larger cases when sizing.
It's so much easier.
I like easy.
And when tackling a job of sizing that becomes hard on the Hand Press, remember the lube and also lube the ram press a little extra every now and then.Bearings are meant to float on the lube that separates them. Bearings are not meant to run against each other.The clearance is for the lube to keep them separated. When you operate the ram without lubing it, you are introducing a little extra friction making it harder to resize a Mag shell.
I find a shot of lube on the press ram makes thing go easier.

I have become a big user of the hand press myself . Convenient to load indoors at home or office .
My casting and loading room is in an outbuilding without HVAC . Getting old , slowing down and not shooting as much .
Have 5 bench mounted and two hand presses ... the hand presses get most of the use now .
If I were still reloading in any volume or loading rifle I would spring for one of the nice Buchanan Units ... wish I were 25 years younger .
If you are short on space a hand press is well...handy !
Gary