PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day tradition

Patrick L
05-25-2020, 06:40 AM
Heading to the range in an hour or so. My shooting is pretty eclectic. Rifle, pistol, clay sports, I do them all. 1911s, .22 pistols, my beloved S&Ws, scoped rifles, iron sighted rifles, sporters, etc You never know what I'll pack up for playtime.

But I have a tradition for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veteran's day. Without fail, an 03 Springfield, a Garand, and an M1 carbine are the three I'll shoot today. There will be a mix of cast boolits and J words. The elderly statesman of my collection, the 03, positively thrives on cast. It has never seen a jacketed bullet since I've owned it. The carbine does well too, as does the Garand, but sometimes they just want a little copper too.

Can't wait!!

StuBach
05-25-2020, 07:43 AM
That is an awesome tradition. Might have to try that myself sometime (minus the Garand).

Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-25-2020, 08:08 AM
The VFW guys are giving out those buddy poppies and I always donate for some. They wind up on the rear view and in my boonie hat. A friend in Spokane has a nice 03 he got before 68 and has told me I can have it. He used to elk hunt with it. I was on my motorcycle last time I was through there and declined to take it. Like your M Day tradition. We are camping like usual.

Patrick L
05-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Well I had a great time!

The trifecta represented us well
https://i.imgur.com/BGQ6kVW.jpg

I'm especially please my eyes cooperated today, those tiny sights on the 03 give me good days and bad days.

Here's the 03 target at 100 yds. 20 rds, 16 gr 2400 and a HM2 155 (our GB clone of the Lee boolit). As usual, ignore the pasted holes, they were from a previous outing. I'm frugal.
https://i.imgur.com/Wsejy4q.jpg

Did as well with the carbine at 50 yds. Shot the Garand at 100, not my best day, but fun!

fcvan
05-25-2020, 11:36 AM
I try to go with my brother, 'old school.' First time I said that he asked 'what?' Springfield M1As and 1911 45acp. There is just something about large brass ringing as it hits the ground. He complained about the cost of 308 but stopped his griping when I pulled out the cast rounds. I mixed up PC to simulate FMJ and I have fooled several friends. 2450 fps with a 150 grain spitzer is devastating on tin cans, and I hate tin cans. Maybe I'll get my brother out today to kill some cans!

I forgot, he has an M1 Carbine and I have plenty of cast loaded up for that!

Eddie17
05-25-2020, 03:56 PM
Like your post, Pasted Holes! Do it all the time!

Pipefitter
05-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Like your post, Pasted Holes! Do it all the time!

Same here except I am too frugal to buy target pasters. I use black electrical tape instead...

onelight
05-25-2020, 06:48 PM
What a great combination of rifles for today , great idea.

frkelly74
05-25-2020, 07:57 PM
For the frugal...... MyTargets.com has an assortment of patterns you can print off. I save pages out of our insurance correspondence and print my targets on the back. Ink is not free though... hmmmm! I have been wanting to get out with my military rifles but keep getting busy with other stuff. Springfield 1886, M17 Enfield, mutt 1 garand, and century arms international ar15 . and the RIA 1911 -A1. the first two are original military, The rest are put togethers and copies.

Patrick L
05-25-2020, 08:53 PM
Same here except I am too frugal to buy target pasters. I use black electrical tape instead...

Actually, I paste my 50 foot pistol targets from the .22 rimfire league with masking tape. Its color matches the tan, and I color the ones in the black with black Sharpie. Those small .22 holes are small enough that its no big deal. Hopefully I'm pasting more black than tan!!