PDA

View Full Version : Wild Bull hunting.

Texas by God
05-25-2020, 01:04 AM
Made you look. Got a mess of legs, might have gotten more but the coming thunderstorms had them jumpy[emoji849]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200525/391ff7074e6dee7a5e41b51b262a2adc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200525/14ea9f7ba77bd523be75d20bba6ee762.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
05-25-2020, 01:56 AM
Looks like it'll be a little quieter around your place tonight too.

Stephen Cohen
05-25-2020, 02:16 AM
Some years back a good mate of mine had a cane toad problem in his dam which made it toxic for cattle, fish, bird or other animal. I gave him a couple of detonators I had from military days and he wired up several pounds of black powder in large pipe which he placed in the dam and let her rip, he told me it rained cane toads and parts for several minutes and much of it landed on his roof. After inspecting his dam he found the clay base of dam had cracked and dam would not hold water again till he had it re done, to make matters worse he had to leave his home a few days later as the stink of dead toads was more than he could handle. I guess the moral of the story is, no matter how bad you think it is it can get worse. Regards Stephen

R-71
05-25-2020, 02:21 AM
Do you eat those things or just control the population? How do you cook them? Looks like a good time.

sukivel
05-25-2020, 06:34 AM
Definitely made me look, is that a .45 Colt?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

762 shooter
05-25-2020, 07:06 AM
Legs.

Breaded and fried.

Tastes like chicken.

MMMMMM MMMMM Good!

kbstenberg
05-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Was the axe for the ones that charged you?

Thumbcocker
05-25-2020, 07:39 AM
Why didn't you just axe them to leave?

sharps4590
05-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Can't let Momma see this...she'd just about kill for a mess of frog legs. They are good!! We have about another month before the season opens here. We used to go out and get them before the violator's did. You had to if you wanted any!! And they weren't bashful about hitting your ponds!!

RU shooter
05-25-2020, 08:46 AM
Now those are some big frogs !

Markopolo
05-25-2020, 08:58 AM
wow.. yummmmmy!!! i havent had frog legs in almost 40 years. :grin:

Texas by God
05-25-2020, 10:22 AM
We definitely eat them, Creole seasoning fried in panko flour- oh my goodness. Free range is so much better than frogs at the restaurant IME. The old guy on the right was basso profundo.....the gun is my Ruger Wrangler .22. Thumbcocker, you’d be surprised at what you can get if you AXE first......have a great Memorial Day everybody! Thank you for your service, Veterans! Fajitas today for company; frog legs for Mama and me after they leave.....

white eagle
05-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Legs.

Breaded and fried.

Tastes like chicken.

MMMMMM MMMMM Good!

chicken of the sea

Springfield
05-25-2020, 11:36 AM
More like chicken of the Pond!

waksupi
05-25-2020, 12:07 PM
I love frog legs. Years ago, a friend and I got over a hundred one night. A camp fire, and lots of beer later, we finished them off.

3leggedturtle
05-25-2020, 12:34 PM
I miss the many weekends i spent as a young'un roaming around ponds like that. We had very few frogs that big tho. Fried Okra and hush puppies would go good with them legs. Todd/3leg

fcvan
05-25-2020, 12:38 PM
45 years ago, we went to visit family in the Lodi/Lockeford area near Sacramento CA. We got to my aunt and uncles and found dozens of leg-less bodies in the yard. My cousins went out gigging the night before and basically cut the legs and put them in the cooler. My aunt made them clean up the yard when they woke up. Great barbecue that evening. I wonder how they would be if prepared like hot wings?

My grandfather (same area) preferred fishing for frogs as they fight like a bass in the water and on land. Lure of choice was a small rubber frog. I never tried fishing for them but grand dad had a good time with that.

Jniedbalski
05-25-2020, 01:07 PM
We usually used any old 22 Lr we had laying around. That’s been 35 years ago. Haven’t went in 25 or 30 years. On night I took the old 1896 Winchester take apart pump 22 lr my grandpa gave me. Could not Figure out why I could not hit anything more than 5 feet away. Took it home and took a 22 bullet out of its case and dropped it down the muzzle end and it went all the way to the chamber and fell out . well I don’t think it even hit the sides of the barrel.20 years ago I Stupidly sold it for 50$. Now I know you can reline real easy and cheep.

waksupi
05-26-2020, 10:04 AM
My favorite way to catch them was with a fly rod, using a scrap of red wool on the hook.

My worst experience doing frogging, was I had stuck a knife through it's head to kill it. I always cut the skin around the back of the head, then used pliers to pull the skin off. We used the whole body, as the front legs and back do have meat to them, and we were poor.
I had made my cut, and had pulled the skin down until it was nearly off, when it jumped from my hands, back into the pond. Obviously not as dead as I thought. It swam out a way, and floated there looking at me. I tossed the hook out, and I'll be darned if he didn't gobble it right in again. Slow learner apparently. This time I got him killed and cleaned.

sharps4590
05-26-2020, 01:29 PM
I've heard of that red yarn thing but never tried it. As with others I haven't gigged/hunted frogs since my kids were young. They loved it. I guess the funniest way I ever killed them was with a Colt Walker repro. We had two ponds on our place and one afternoon I was shooting the Walker....so I "walked" down to the oldest of the two ponds to look around. Had to catch them close to the bank. I guess I shot 3 or 4 before I "walked" back up to the house. Momma was happy....but I hate to clean frogs.

Texas by God
05-26-2020, 07:06 PM
We use blinding lights on them, wading in till we get close enough to grab it after the shot. My nephew is quick enough to catch them in his hands. He gives them to me and I dispatch them while holding on to them. They are tenacious of life and they can certainly still jump when they are dead. I used CB Longs this time for the low report but next time I will go back to my favorite 22 short hollow points.

waksupi
05-27-2020, 09:55 AM
We use blinding lights on them, wading in till we get close enough to grab it after the shot. My nephew is quick enough to catch them in his hands. He gives them to me and I dispatch them while holding on to them. They are tenacious of life and they can certainly still jump when they are dead. I used CB Longs this time for the low report but next time I will go back to my favorite 22 short hollow points.

I wonder why the heck CB's and Shorts are more expensive than Long Rifle?

Eddie Southgate
05-27-2020, 11:32 AM
I wonder why the heck CB's and Shorts are more expensive than Long Rifle?

Lower demand . Same with longs and magnums .

Greg S
05-27-2020, 04:31 PM
When in MO, just don't gig in in the neighborhood lagoons, lol.

Walks
05-27-2020, 04:40 PM
Do they still make .22 Longs ? Other then CB's ?

Used to gig them at night, Colorado River in the 1960's.
Dad would clean them and fry 'em up.
Mom wouldn't touch them.

Good fun and good eating. Good Days.

rking22
05-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Man I love frog legs!! We used to light and gig them from a Jon boat on the washer ponds. I shot them with a variety of 22s on our farm ponds in the daytime. Had to hit them just right or they would jump and get away. One pond was about 50 feet below the yard, elevation wise. About 75 to 100 yards horizontal. There were huge frogs but they stayed out in the moss and there was so much you spoked them wading. Well, I was sitting at the fence with a nice Ruger NO1B in 243 waiting for my buddy to go ground hog hunting. Got to thinking, you know how that goes. Well, an 85 gr Sierra placed just under the frogs eyes, in the water. Big splash and the frog emerged from the splash still gaining altitude, landed 20 feet back in the pasture and never moved! Shot 6 for 6 and not a single one had a mark on him, sure did eat good too!

Chihuahua Floyd
05-28-2020, 07:41 PM
Man I love frog legs!! We used to light and gig them from a Jon boat on the washer ponds. I shot them with a variety of 22s on our farm ponds in the daytime. Had to hit them just right or they would jump and get away. One pond was about 50 feet below the yard, elevation wise. About 75 to 100 yards horizontal. There were huge frogs but they stayed out in the moss and there was so much you spoked them wading. Well, I was sitting at the fence with a nice Ruger NO1B in 243 waiting for my buddy to go ground hog hunting. Got to thinking, you know how that goes. Well, an 85 gr Sierra placed just under the frogs eyes, in the water. Big splash and the frog emerged from the splash still gaining altitude, landed 20 feet back in the pasture and never moved! Shot 6 for 6 and not a single one had a mark on him, sure did eat good too!

Did much the same with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Full 44Mag loads, walk edge of ponds, shoot just in front of frog, duck and cover from falling water. Pick up frog from bank.
CF

richhodg66
05-28-2020, 07:58 PM
Frog legs are OK, but here, anything that eats mosquitoes enjoys a special protected status by me. Wife used to question it when I would stop the lawn mower and work to catch one of the toad we'd have in the yard and shuttle it to a safe space. One of those things consumes a third of its body weight in insects every day, I'm told.

I'll stick to chicken.

country gent
05-28-2020, 10:50 PM
I ave smoked them for 4-5 hours around 200-225* with mestique chips the last hour or so I coated them in barbecue sauce. They were really good.

Winger Ed.
05-28-2020, 11:04 PM
One of those things consumes a third of its body weight in insects every day, I'm told.

We've got plenty of toads here.
Judging by the size of the poo logs they leave on the patio every morning-- I'd say that is true.

fiberoptik
05-29-2020, 02:42 AM
Try using a Cold Steel .625 blowgun! That will up the fun factor!

hawkenhunter50
05-29-2020, 04:21 AM
Try using a Cold Steel .625 blowgun! That will up the fun factor!

Tim Wells style!!

Texas by God
05-29-2020, 02:28 PM
An unwelcome guest got away from the frog/turtle roost because Wife didn't want to blow 2yr old grandson's eardrums out with her 20 gauge. Hard to tell with the duck weed coating- but probably a fish moccasin. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200529/8612fd16b428c5278cad9b3857000083.jpg

Update- got it yesterday and two of its smaller kin this morning thanks to Topper Jr.
Dont be messing with my frog crop, belly crawlers!