PDA

View Full Version : Mri

Battis
05-23-2020, 07:53 AM
Ever have an MRI? I've had well over 30 but I still can't do them without drugs. A few years ago, I had one, and I was drugged, but not enough, so I started panicking while inside and pumping that stupid little ball they give you but guess what? The two attending techs had let the building and didn't hear the alarm, or my screaming, so I pulled myself out and dropped to the floor, quite a feat for even a healthy guy, never mind someone who needs an MRI.
Anyways, I had one last night. I took two Xanax, then a half of another, which was enough, but when I got home, I was so messed up that my wife actually called the Poison Control hot line. They told me to sleep it off, which I did.
When I was a kid, we used to crawl through drainage pipes at a construction site, and one time while I was inside the pipes, the crew started backfilling the pipes. The crew freaked when I came out and chased me into the woods, throwing rocks at me. Well, that started the whole claustrophobia thing for me.
I envy anyone who can do MRIs undrugged. Anyone here able to do them?

GhostHawk
05-23-2020, 08:04 AM
My wife does, she's had 4 in the last 2 months.

frkelly74
05-23-2020, 08:08 AM
My wife would not even sleep in the bunk over the cab in a truck camper we had. I have no real experience but did not like sleeping in a hammock , doesn't sound pleasant.

Texas by God
05-23-2020, 08:22 AM
Not a pleasant experience for anyone, much less a claustrophobic. I've always been able to "zone out" mentally and I actually fell asleep in one one time. If available, an "open" MRI- no tube- is much preferable. Of many, that was the easiest. Just lay there with headphones and listen to music. My wife wouldn't do one unless I held her hand- so I got the hammer noise free that time. Bless her heart, she was freaking out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Poygan
05-23-2020, 09:25 AM
I had an MRI a few years ago. Not a pleasant experience but mostly it was the LOUD noise of the MRI. I would not look foreward to having another!

DocSavage
05-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Last 2 I had were open but still needed some help. Last one though was pretty open so no drugs needed. Tried the one that looks like a torpedo tube,got 1/3 in and wanted out. Wasn't "GET ME OUT NOW" moment just this isn't going to work what else you got.

NyFirefighter357
05-23-2020, 10:01 AM
When I was a kid I had the torpedo tube style it didn't bother me. The last one I had was more open, I think I fell asleep. I've never had a problem going into closed spaces. I'm glad I'm not claustrophobic, I had a good friend that was and it wound up killing him. He woke up after an operation and was tied down because he was a known combative out of anesthesia. He awoke and ripped the tubes out and did so much damage he coded and died.

Three44s
05-23-2020, 10:04 AM
I have to crawl inside hay baler chambers and arc weld now and then, does that count?

The cross section on my two tie machines is 16” x18”. Our three tie is spacious by comparison. It is 16”x23”!

It takes two people, me the “dummy” doing the crawl and the outside guy you gotta trust who turns the welder on after you think you are situated. Oh ya, he also mans the “fire dept.”

..... ‘cause the dummy might catch fire!

What would I do in an MRI!

I do not know as I have not been in one yet. But I won’t know the dude running the contraption very well ......

Three44s

DCP
05-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Well I was a scuba diver and the tech asks if I was claustrophobic. I told her I will be fine that I was a diver never had a problem. I am suck in this thing like a sardine. She says she had to step out for a moment. When she came back 3 weeks later. I was never the same

lightman
05-23-2020, 10:28 AM
I have to do at least 2 a year. Thats the way they check to see if my MS treatments are working. The confinement and the noise doesn't bother me but it seems like as soon as I get rolled up inside the machine that I develop an itch that I can't reach! :(

They're doing 3 of them at 20 minutes each, head, upper back and middle back. Now they only do my head. Thats OK by me!

LUCKYDAWG13
05-23-2020, 10:32 AM
I have a few always seem to have to itch my nose when I'm in that tube

gwrench
05-23-2020, 10:45 AM
I've had several without sedation, no problem for me. My wife couldn't stand watching though. She had to go back to a waiting room.

DocSavage
05-23-2020, 10:50 AM
I was told by the techs a good number of people don't do well in MRI machines. Not panic stricken but uncomfortable. My mother had to be given a serious dose of valium to get her in an MRI she's terrified of elevators and escalators.

Biggin
05-23-2020, 10:53 AM
Never been in one but probably not gonna like it if I ever have to. I'm a big guy that doesn't like small spaces! Lol!

Battis
05-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Back in the 90s, when I first had a back problem, the DR that I was seeing did 11 of them. Come to find out, he was getting a financial kickback from each one he prescribed. And, they were done in a portable unit, the ones that are towed to the location. Come to find out, the portable units are not the best - the images are kinda blurry. Anyways, he did surgery on my back and guess what? He took out the wrong disk. I ended up in Boston and the DR there did an MRI in a nice, new, solid unit and pinpointed the correct "bad' disk, which he repaired. The first botched surgery based on a bad MRI (and an incompetent DR) cost me my career. I still use the first DRs face on my targets.
And, yeah, I got a lawyer, a good one, but...that's another story.

country gent
05-23-2020, 10:57 AM
I am in the same as lightman for my MS only I get spine neck head orbs both with and with out dye. Some of mine have went 3 hours. The tube dosnt bother me and they pipe music in thru headphones to deaden the noise. My last few have been open machines. The dyes are a bigger issue for me.

My trade also creates some issues for me, Being a tool and die maker my MRIs are usually preceded by a battery of X rays looking for metals embedded.

bedbugbilly
05-23-2020, 10:58 AM
I had one three weeks ago on my left foot and ankle so fortunately, I was not in the machine very far. /tge fallow who did mine was very good - and he was "there" all the time - it took an hour. Yep, loud noise but with earplugs and ear muffs along with music it was fine. I had surgery the next day to "rebuild" my foot and ankle - due to breakdown caused by Sharko foot/ankle as a result of 53 years of diabetes and associated neuropathy.

When they took me down for it, I was glad that I didn't have to go all the way in as I don't know how I would have reacted. Like many of you, I have always been a bit clausterphobic. Years ago when I was on the fire department. I had several "close calls". One time, while crawling down a hallway. I was on the tip of the hose with my partner right behind me. For some reason, my partner panicked and I didn't realize he was no longer with me as I couldn't feel his grip on my leg due to my boots and night pants. (Had it not been that we suspected someone was in the house, I would have not been there). It was a two story house with the upper floor involved and part of the lower floor ahead of me. All of a sudden, a cast iron bathtub came through the floor behind me along with debris and some wiring. As I attempted to pull out, wires got entangled with my airpack and they had to come in and cut the wiring to get me out. I still have nightmares about that as well as several other times when I felt fully enveloped by the situation and all the gear I was wearing. I doubt very much that I would last very long in a MRI tube all the way in without going bonkers.

MrWolf
05-23-2020, 12:24 PM
I have had quite a few over the years. A year or so ago had all three images of the spine done (cervical, thoracic, and lumbar). I wear my custom molded ear plugs and have fallen asleep in there. My problem is finally getting into a position that I can tolerate for the extended time. Sometimes it is just to painful. I can see it in the tech's eyes when I have to repeatedly switch positions. Try explaining but they dont want to hear it. I explain just let me find the right spot and we can do all three with no probs.

Alstep
05-23-2020, 12:36 PM
I get claustrophobic just reading all your experiences. I've been through it by just gritting my teeth & mental determination. Certainly not a pleasant experience at all for me. It doesn't hurt a bit, just a mental thing.

Scrounge
05-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Ever have an MRI? I've had well over 30 but I still can't do them without drugs. A few years ago, I had one, and I was drugged, but not enough, so I started panicking while inside and pumping that stupid little ball they give you but guess what? The two attending techs had let the building and didn't hear the alarm, or my screaming, so I pulled myself out and dropped to the floor, quite a feat for even a healthy guy, never mind someone who needs an MRI.
Anyways, I had one last night. I took two Xanax, then a half of another, which was enough, but when I got home, I was so messed up that my wife actually called the Poison Control hot line. They told me to sleep it off, which I did.
When I was a kid, we used to crawl through drainage pipes at a construction site, and one time while I was inside the pipes, the crew started backfilling the pipes. The crew freaked when I came out and chased me into the woods, throwing rocks at me. Well, that started the whole claustrophobia thing for me.
I envy anyone who can do MRIs undrugged. Anyone here able to do them?

I had to stop doing them because I have had both hips replaced, but the newer ones aren't as powerful so in some places, I can still do them. Don't do claustrophobia. I started my professional life as a mechanic working on fighter jets, and was mildly claustrophobic, but got over it as crawling intakes was a daily occurrence. FYI, they do make Open MRI machines, which don't enclose you as much. That might be a viable option for you if you check with your local diagnostic imaging providers AND your insurance. My wife, OTH, has terrible problems with it. She's a lot heavier than she used to be, and has actually gotten stuck in an MRI machine. Lots of spinal problems, so they try to have her do MRI's pretty often. Almost never works.

RKJ
05-23-2020, 12:47 PM
I've had 2 or 3 of them, don't really care for them but after the initial uneasiness I close my eyes and drift off to sleep. But a few of your stories, those freaked me out.

dannyd
05-23-2020, 12:56 PM
I go to sleep as soon as they roll me in. Longest one 3.5 hours brain and heart. Probably had twenty. The one for the Liver is an E ride, they put what looks a tennis racket on your liver and shake you for about hour and half.

Battis
05-23-2020, 01:16 PM
I've done the open ones, but they're only a little better. When I got there last night, they told me I had to wear a mask in the machine and I said, "See ya later." They let me go in without a mask. To show how claustrophobic I am, I actually have trouble with a Cat scan, those big doughnut shaped devices. Being stuck in that underground pipe that was being backfilled really did me in. You'd think that after being married for a century or so, I'd be able to handle anything. Sometimes that wedding ring closes in on me (or maybe my fingers are getting fatter).

Gewehr-Guy
05-23-2020, 01:29 PM
While I have not yet had the pleasure of an MRI, I doubt I would enjoy it. I can relate to Bedbugbilly's experiences with the SCBAs, I hated it every time we had to use one on the fire dept. I could handle it if I could see any bit of light, but during night training in a strange structure it was all I could do to keep calm. We still had steel tanks and older bunkers that never fit well, probably weighed50 lbs. When the low air bells started going off, and guy's tanks started clanking together when they were following the hose out, you better get out of the way, or they would crawl right over the top of you!

dannyd
05-23-2020, 01:52 PM
I was just thinking I have been MRI'ed from head to foot. Maybe that's what's wrong with me :D

lightman
05-23-2020, 02:21 PM
I am in the same as lightman for my MS only I get spine neck head orbs both with and with out dye. Some of mine have went 3 hours. The tube dosnt bother me and they pipe music in thru headphones to deaden the noise. My last few have been open machines. The dyes are a bigger issue for me.

My trade also creates some issues for me, Being a tool and die maker my MRIs are usually preceded by a battery of X rays looking for metals embedded.

I forgot about the dye. I have them both with and without the contrast. Fortunately I've never had a reaction to the dye except for the copper taste in my mouth.

NyFirefighter357
05-23-2020, 02:27 PM
New standards were put in place around 2002 after a 6yr old boy was killed when someone accidentally left a steel O2 tank on the gurney they wheeled him in on. I believe the standard is no more steel tanks in the medical field. When they turned on the 10 ton electromagnet it flew out of the holder on the gurney and into the MRI machine causing blunt force trauma to the boys head. This hospital isn't far from me as it's the one I had a stent put in at.

Boy Killed In Freak MRI Accident

July 31, 2001 / 9:13 AM / AP

A team of investigators from the state Health Department is on the scene at the Westchester Medical Center north of New York City, where a 6-year-old boy was fatally injured by a flying oxygen tank while undergoing an MRI exam.

Health Department spokesman Robert Kenny said investigators were checking records and interviewing staffers in the wake of the boy's death, which came after his skull was fractured when the tank was pulled through the air by the MRI machine's powerful magnet. The hospital and the Westchester district attorney's office also are reviewing the case.

The boy, Michael Colombini of Croton-on-Hudson, died Sunday, two days after he was hit by the tank, which is about the size of a fire extinguisher. The county medical examiner's office said the boy's death was caused by blunt force trauma, a fractured skull and a bruised brain.

The medical center in Valhalla said the tank had been accidentally "introduced into the exam room" after the boy was in the magnetic resonance imaging machine and the 10-ton electromagnet was switched on.

The oxygen tank was "immediately magnetized and drawn to the center of the machine, causing head trauma to the child," the medical center said in a news release.

The boy was sedated when he was struck, the hospital said. The MRI was scheduled to check his progress after an operation to remove a benign brain tumor, which was discovered last week after he fell down at home, friends and relatives said.

"You'd think that if you had survived all of that. you'd be sort of home free," said Diana Heaton, Michael's kindergarten teacher last year. "We're all shocked and saddened by this. He was just an awesome kid who liked having fun."

Edward Stolzenberg, president and chief executive officer of the medical center, said in a statement that the hospital assumes full responsibility and "will do anything it can to ease the family's grief."

"The trauma was due to what can only be described as a horrific accident, and the entire medical center is grieving," Stolzenberg said.

An MRI generates images of the body using an electromagnet, radio waves and a computer. It is conducted eight million times each year in the U.S. to diagnose many diseases, including brain tumors, spinal disorders and heart disease. It is considered nearly risk-free, but no metal objects are supposed to be in the testing area.

Carin Grossman, a spokeswoman for the medical center, would not say who took the oxygen tank into the MRI area.

"It was brought into the area of the field of the magnet and it went through the air," she said.

In Rochester, N.Y., last year, an MRI magnet yanked a .45-caliber gun out of the hand of a police officer, and the gun shot a round that lodged in a wall.

The Westchester Medical Center, 15 miles north of New York City, has been trying to position itself as a topflight medical center. It is a major transplant center and has recently ventured into robot surgery. It suffered a set back in March when an accreditation team caught the staff altering a patient's chart and automatically gave it a ranking that was among the lowest in the country.

© MMI The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

First published on July 31, 2001 / 9:13 AM

dannyd
05-23-2020, 02:36 PM
I forgot about the dye. I have them both with and without the contrast. Fortunately I've never had a reaction to the dye except for the copper taste in my mouth.

Forgot about that too, heart was the worst two types of contrast fighting to see who could make me sick first.

Battis
05-23-2020, 03:03 PM
A few years ago, a friend of mine - nice looking woman - was having an MRI about the same time I needed one. I suggested that maybe we could share a machine. For some reason, it didn't happen.

MaryB
05-23-2020, 03:03 PM
No way are you putting me in that tube while awake. I have to be totally sedated. I managed the open one in a place that had it next to a window so I could see outside. That helped with the claustrophobia some. Tried the open but it was in a dark room with 2' of space on either side of the machine, NOPE get me out of here! I pretty much tell them to deal with it and a CT scan is good enough!

Duckiller
05-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Tried twice , once in a standard machine and once in an oversized machine. Lasted about one minute each time. Third time I had a good dose of propolol ( what mikey Jackson liked) and I remember nothing. went to sleep as I was pushed down a hall to the machine and didn't wake up until I heard a nurse giving my daughter care instruction. I can not stand confined spaces.

dannyd
05-23-2020, 04:19 PM
I started about 35 years ago getting MRI's. The first one was from GE and the tube was so small I just fit. The doctor said I probably would not make without sedation told him I would be okay. They were laughing at how loud I snored. Can't help I go in and automatically go to sleep.

skeettx
05-23-2020, 04:31 PM
No issue here, but I did spend 5 years in a Minuteman Launch Control Center 60 feet under the ground in Montana

Shawlerbrook
05-23-2020, 04:33 PM
I had multiple mri’s about 20-25 years ago with no problems. That said, don’t know if that would still be the case. Youth makes many things easier probably because you don’t know any better.

tinsnips
05-23-2020, 05:04 PM
Many ct scans.a few pet scans ,an a few MRI's don't really bother me much. Sometimes it hard not to move when you are told not to.

Biggin
05-23-2020, 05:20 PM
I had to stop doing them because I have had both hips replaced, but the newer ones aren't as powerful so in some places, I can still do them. Don't do claustrophobia. I started my professional life as a mechanic working on fighter jets, and was mildly claustrophobic, but got over it as crawling intakes was a daily occurrence. FYI, they do make Open MRI machines, which don't enclose you as much. That might be a viable option for you if you check with your local diagnostic imaging providers AND your insurance. My wife, OTH, has terrible problems with it. She's a lot heavier than she used to be, and has actually gotten stuck in an MRI machine. Lots of spinal problems, so they try to have her do MRI's pretty often. Almost never works.

While I have not yet had the pleasure of an MRI, I doubt I would enjoy it. I can relate to Bedbugbilly's experiences with the SCBAs, I hated it every time we had to use one on the fire dept. I could handle it if I could see any bit of light, but during night training in a strange structure it was all I could do to keep calm. We still had steel tanks and older bunkers that never fit well, probably weighed50 lbs. When the low air bells started going off, and guy's tanks started clanking together when they were following the hose out, you better get out of the way, or they would crawl right over the top of you!

Maybe I'd be okay after all. I've been a firefighter and done some diving. That never seemed to bother me. Hmm

dangitgriff
05-23-2020, 07:19 PM
No issue here, but I did spend 5 years in a Minuteman Launch Control Center 60 feet under the ground in Montana

You mean you were a 2,628,000-Minuteman crew member? [emoji848][emoji851][emoji1783]

Mk42gunner
05-23-2020, 09:02 PM
I've had a few, two or three at the VA in KC in the tube type and one in Butler it was more of a donut type. Mabe that is the open type?

The first one was no problem, I went to sleep just like at the dentist. The second was a big problem, I think it was because the frame they put over my face was a lot bigger/ thicker/ more noticeable, or maybe because it was the first heavy snowstorm of the year and city drivers.

The last couple I went in feet first, so no problem.

Its weird, because I have been under houses were you had to decide if you were going to lay on your back or belly before crawling under, and all sorts of contortions to repair/ clean gun mounts.

Robert

Winger Ed.
05-23-2020, 09:26 PM
I had one for my lower back a few years ago.
Being one of the 'full figure' types, I felt like a sausage being stuffed into a case as I went into the tube.

I closed my eyes, and held still like they said.
If it was a ride at an amusement park, I wouldn't get in it, but it was no big deal either.

chuck40219
05-23-2020, 09:28 PM
Never a MRI but a bunch of cat scans, on my 3 rd pacemaker so I started out in my old age with a pacemaker. Always have to tell them no MRI. Is a cat scan close to a MRI?

chuck40219

375supermag
05-23-2020, 10:07 PM
Hi...
I have had countless CAT scans, MRIs and PET scans.
Three bouts of cancer will give you more contact with every facet of the medical field than you will ever want.

I have to be sedated for MRIs...I had no idea I was claustrophobic until I was put in an MRI tube. Total freak out time. I tell them that I will need to be sedated every time they schedule an MRI. They didn't authorize the sedation drug one time and they couldn't get me in the tube. They weren't very happy but they had to reschedule the MRI.

PET scans I can handle but it's not a good time. I need the tech to talk to me pretty much every couple of minutes or I get VERY anxious.

CAT scans are a piece of cake.

Battis
05-23-2020, 10:09 PM
Cat scan = 10 ga
MRI -= .22
I'm sure others can come up with a better comparison.

Moleman-
05-23-2020, 11:03 PM
4 back surgeries so far, so no stranger to the tube. If they don't have me move much I've fallen asleep several times. Don't tolerate the contrast die well, which I've only had a few MRI's without.

FISH4BUGS
05-24-2020, 06:26 AM
I did one for my back. The problem was that they were freaked out because I still carry a bullet in my leg and they were concerned that the MRI could heat up the bullet and cause me problems. It all turned out fine. The hardest part was not scratching my nose when it itched! :)

MrWolf
05-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Heh cervical MRI's do not want you to swallow. Try doing that after someone tells you not to.

Pipefitter
05-24-2020, 10:39 AM
I have had a couple MRI's done a few years apart. The first one wasn't too bad, just closed my eyes and thought about riding a motorcycle on a winding road.
The second time I made the mistake of opening my eyes about halfway through, the tech asked me if I was doing ok, I told him as long as I keep my eyes closed I will be fine.

Battis
05-24-2020, 01:37 PM
FISH4BUGS said:
The problem was that they were freaked out because I still carry a bullet in my leg
That brings up some questions.

MaryB
05-24-2020, 02:48 PM
First time they tried to stuff me in the portable MRI didn't go over well... I said get me out and they tried to say stay in there. I came out on my own and broke a few things... my doc heard about it and chewed butt big time over it. Flat out told them if you ever try to force a patient to stay in the tube again I will get your medical credentials revoked.

MrHarmless
05-24-2020, 03:28 PM
Flat out told them if you ever try to force a patient to stay in the tube again I will get your medical credentials revoked.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of what will happen if you force your way out of medical equipment and break things.

I see a lot of people in this thread struggling with claustrophobia and similar. Pretty common, especially if you don't spend much time in enclosed spaces. There are lots of counselors and therapists out there that can help with claustrophobia from exposure therapy to breathing exercises that can help manage stress. As an added bonus, it'll contribute towards the normalization of mental health care in the US!

If you need professional medical treatment and seek it out, you have an obligation to actually facilitate it haha.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-24-2020, 09:57 PM
Luckily, I'm pretty easy going.
I've had one MRI, they put some headphones on me, with classic Rock playing...35 minutes later, I was almost asleep when they said OK, we're done.

Battis
05-24-2020, 10:23 PM
I see a lot of people in this thread struggling with claustrophobia and similar. Pretty common, especially if you don't spend much time in enclosed spaces.
I'm claustrophobic because I spent too much time in an enclosed space.
And...AND...I have very little faith in counselors and/or therapists, for good reasons.

Teemu
05-24-2020, 10:38 PM
Been there few times... Last time was early on this year. End of January. Had couple back surgeries...And probably few is ahead. Annoying sound on those pesky tubes. Someplace they give you headphones with music some without music. So tight tube. Need to go hands crossed on belly. How things are if you are real big guy...😮

FISH4BUGS
05-25-2020, 07:06 AM
FISH4BUGS said:
That brings up some questions.

1) The docs thought that the MRI could heat the bullet metal and cause some issues. I was far enough away from the MRI area but they did a series of XRays to make sure.
2) I shot myself with an UNLOADED Ruger RST4 - an old one before they installed magazine cutoffs. One was in the chamber (and of course since the magazine was empty the gun was too :) ) and I touched the trigger when reloading the magazine.
THAT is how you shoot yourself with an unloaded gun.

375supermag
05-25-2020, 08:52 PM
1) The docs thought that the MRI could heat the bullet metal and cause some issues. I was far enough away from the MRI area but they did a series of XRays to make sure.
2) I shot myself with an UNLOADED Ruger RST4 - an old one before they installed magazine cutoffs. One was in the chamber (and of course since the magazine was empty the gun was too :) ) and I touched the trigger when reloading the magazine.
THAT is how you shoot yourself with an unloaded gun.

FWIW...
I would avoid doing that in the future.

FISH4BUGS
05-26-2020, 06:29 AM
FWIW...
I would avoid doing that in the future.

That's how you learn gun safety the HARD WAY! :)

MaryB
05-26-2020, 03:35 PM
That's pretty much the exact opposite of what will happen if you force your way out of medical equipment and break things.

I see a lot of people in this thread struggling with claustrophobia and similar. Pretty common, especially if you don't spend much time in enclosed spaces. There are lots of counselors and therapists out there that can help with claustrophobia from exposure therapy to breathing exercises that can help manage stress. As an added bonus, it'll contribute towards the normalization of mental health care in the US!

If you need professional medical treatment and seek it out, you have an obligation to actually facilitate it haha.

When a patient requests TWICE to stop you stop. PERIOD. No discussion. Little thing called malpractice kicks in

MrWolf
05-26-2020, 07:28 PM

Some of the medical folk seem to get annoyed when you can't just lay down and have the images taken. With my injuries it may take a few times in and out before I can find a position that I can tolerate for a period of time. Like I said previously, I can fall asleep doing them once I can find that sweet spot. Them not listening and trying to force me into a painful position for an extended period of time is not gonna happen as it makes things a whole lot worse.

PNW_Steve
05-26-2020, 08:30 PM
My first one was easy. They were looking at my hip and ran me far enough through that I could see out the machine and the window outdoors. No problem.

Next one didn't go so well. They ran me in and in 10 seconds I was calling for help. MRI didn't happen that day. My doctor had a reasonable solution. Xanax (sp?) works wonders.... I cannot do the claustrophobic MRI without meds.

Battis
05-26-2020, 08:40 PM
I can just about guarantee that if someone went to a therapist for help dealing with claustrophobia during an MRI, the therapist would pull out their script pad and write an order for Diazepam, Lorazepam, etc.

MaryB
05-27-2020, 04:56 PM
They fed me the max dose of valium... nope nothing... my body processes meds weird and many have the opposite effect. Makes for fun trying to find things that work.

slim1836
05-27-2020, 05:39 PM
I've had several MRI's, although not very comfortable I've had no issues.

I just now got home from having a heart catheterization and while it was a little uncomfortable, I survived.

Slim

OldBearHair
05-27-2020, 07:52 PM
Very difficult for me to stay calm. Need to coach myself to get through it. Worked in aircraft confined spaces. Someone would be working inside, we would hear the noise of one in panic mode and rush to help. You gotta be careful of fists and elbows as you are dragging a person out. Have seen some bad lacerations and bruising. Crawled under the house to dig some washed in dirt under the floor joists. Last one I went under was tight. I decided to back out right now, but my belt hung up on a joist and I swelled up like a toad. Almost lost it. Decided that I could dig out with the little shovel with one hand and slide over where I dug. It worked.