PDA

View Full Version : Got scolded by the post office

abunaitoo
05-21-2020, 07:22 PM
I sell shells in a USPS med flat rate box.
I got scolding from them because the box was bulging on the sides.
Seems they don't like it when is sticks out a little.
Something about it's hard to pack.

1hole
05-21-2020, 07:30 PM
Well, an overstuffed cardboard box is much more likely to burst open in handling and dump it's contents. You probably wouldn't like that either. ???

Winger Ed.
05-21-2020, 07:37 PM
Some people are never happy.

MUSTANG
05-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Just tell the Post Office they are the ones who did their advertisement:

Flat-Rate Package Options

If It Fits, It Ships®. Priority Mail® service offers a variety of Flat-Rate Boxes and Envelopes that ship for the same price to any domestic address, regardless of how much they weigh or how far they’re going. Prices vary by product, as shown in the table below. Our Express Mail® Flat-Rate Envelope eliminates the need to weigh contents and calculate postage for anything that can fit into the Flat-Rate Envelope. With flat-rate shipping, there’s no need to weigh anything that can fit (up to 70 pounds) if it is shipped domestically.
All USPS® Priority Mail and Express Mail packaging material is available free of charge at Post Offices™ or may be ordered online at no additional cost and shipped to any home or business.

Bad Ass Wallace
05-21-2020, 07:55 PM
We have the same here, if it fits, it ships.

Yesterday I asked for a 1/2kg bag and slipped 6.4kg of cast boolits to a friend 3000 km away. The only thing bulging was the ladies eyes as she lifted it into the post bag.

JimB..
05-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Are you selling sea shells by the sea shore?

salpal48
05-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Don't worry. The post Office is Not to long for this world

tomme boy
05-21-2020, 09:14 PM
I usually put the brass in the tyvek shipping bags they have. That way if it does rip the box the brass will stay in the bags. Sometimes I will do two bags if the brass is heavy. Plus I have lots of the brown threaded shipping tape.

abunaitoo
05-21-2020, 09:27 PM
It wasn't round or bulging out, just not straight on the sides.
I've shipped many just like it.
Never had any problems.
Maybe they were just having a bad day.
Some people are just in the wrong positions.
Typical of gooberment workers.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-21-2020, 09:31 PM
I'll vote for "just having a bad day."

tankgunner59
05-21-2020, 10:07 PM
I have shipped some flat rate boxes REAL full at times, but no one has scolded me yet.

Markopolo
05-21-2020, 10:25 PM
well, i for one appreciate the post office.. UPS or Fedex will not deliver here...

nicholst55
05-21-2020, 10:42 PM
well, i for one appreciate the post office.. UPS or Fedex will not deliver here...

I feel the same way; while UPS and FEDEX WILL deliver here, it is far, far more expensive!

dragon813gt
05-21-2020, 11:27 PM
The postal employee was just telling you the rules. It used to be you could put a SFRB in a flat rate envelope and ship it for slightly less money. They put a stop to that and the envelope is supposed to stay flat like an envelope. The boxes are no different. They are supposed to stay w/ in their original dimensions. I know many bulged boxes have been shipped. But they should not have been. It’s one thing when a box is bulged and you ship through UPS and they charge accordingly. It’s another w/ the flat rate boxes.

NyFirefighter357
05-22-2020, 12:59 AM
The bulged boxes don't run through the sorting machines well, neither do 70lb MFRB of lead! The woman in the post office wasn't happy with my 68lb MFRB. I told her, your rules not mine! lol

abunaitoo
05-22-2020, 03:40 AM
Our post office told me the envelope can be bulging.
She said anything that can fit in it, is good to go.
Majority of the time, the post office is great.
It's just a few that have a power complex.
With the unions backing them up, they can get away with almost anything.

Lloyd Smale
05-22-2020, 05:48 AM
they told me the same. Envelopes can be bulging because theres not much that can be done to stop it but flat rate boxes are not suppose to be bulged.

lightman
05-22-2020, 07:00 AM
I'll be another that votes for "having a bad day". I have had good service from them for the most part. They do seem to be going down hill and I would like to see them return to their former level of service.

The Lady that works the counter at our post office told me that the envelope can bulge as long as the flap is closed all of the way. I usually put a line of staples across the flap as a precaution.

She also has never said anything about my small or medium boxes bulging. But I seldom load them where they bulge.

bedbugbilly
05-22-2020, 10:36 AM
As they say - "there are two sides to every pancake". When I use flat rate boxes - and I have shipped a lot of items over the years in them - I have always packed them so they retain their original dimensions - if something doesn't fit in them - then a different box is needed and the postage rate will be what it is. Why pack a box so that it is bulging when you know how they are handled in transit? Tylek bags or not - an overstuffed box begs to be dropped, tossed and mishandled in transit. 99% of the items I have received in flat rate boxes are well packed - lead, cartridge cases, etc. and WELL TAPED - even reinforced with extra layers of cardboard to strengthen the box - but there are always those that "push it". I one purchased a RCBS Jr2 single stage press off of fleabay - a very nice little press and the idiot I purchased it from literally put it in a light weight shoebox that running shoes came in - no cushioning at all - taped the top on and slapped the label on it. The PO should never have accepted it - when it arrived, it had gone through WWIII - handle slipping out of a hole punched in during shipment and the press had been dropped and the pivot block of the press damaged so that the handle would no longer screw into it. I bought a set of Lyman 310 dies - 45 Colt and the seller just tossed them in a SFRB - no cushioning - sealed the flap and mailed it. When it arrived, the box was flat and empty - no dies inside.

It boils down to ""COMMON SENSE" - why push the limits? Yea . . . the clerk might have had a bad day but in the end - they were right regardless of "if it fits it ships". The flat rate boxes are intended to be packed so that they retain their original dimensions for ease of shipping and sorting machines - on the receiving end of an item, I would much rather receive what I ordered than to have it scattered all over the country because a bulging box got snagged, dropped or mishandled causing loss of what is inside.

On the "extreme end" of things - you wouldn't try to ship a long bamboo fishing rod in a SFRB but I am sure there are those who would try to . . . . . just sayin'

BigAlofPa.
05-22-2020, 11:31 AM
I use the padded flat rate envelopes to ship brass. I put the brass in a ziplock bag 1st. I also tape around the edges of the padded envelope to prevent a blow out.

Beagle333
05-22-2020, 11:56 AM
My P.O. has a template that it must pass through, to qualify for "if it fits", and if it will go through that rectangular opening, it ships.

jsizemore
05-22-2020, 12:53 PM
My P.O. has a template that it must pass through, to qualify for "if it fits", and if it will go through that rectangular opening, it ships.

Depending on whose working at the PO, I get hit with the template. Most times if I'm close, they'll let it slide. You've gotten a couple packages from me and know how I lay the tape on every surface with at least 2 layers of clear packing tape. If I need to I can "pack" those larger sides with a little weight so they pass the template test if it comes up. Most times if it's close, it ships.

IHuntDragons
05-22-2020, 01:16 PM
I've had some complain and some not, depends on the PO and the employee.

gwpercle
05-22-2020, 02:00 PM
It wasn't round or bulging out, just not straight on the sides.
I've shipped many just like it.
Never had any problems.
Maybe they were just having a bad day.
Some people are just in the wrong positions.
Typical of gooberment workers.

You ever meet a Happy Postal Worker ?
Remember where the term " Going Postal On Someone" came from ? It wasn't from all them happy postal workers was it !

My advice is don't make the Postal Person angry !

Winger Ed.
05-22-2020, 02:25 PM
My advice is don't make the Postal Person angry !

They used to say if the flag in front of the Post Office was at half mast---- it meant they had job openings.

abunaitoo
05-22-2020, 07:02 PM
A while ago, I was in line to ship something.
Big commotion between a worker and this lady.
Seems she had taped two flat rate boxes together, and insisted they charge her for only two boxes.
She kept on saying "but I'm paying for two boxes. what is the problem"
Everyone was getting upset at her.
Soon three people were trying to make her understand why it would cost more than the price of the two boxes.
Must have gone on for close to half an hour when I finished and left.
She was still arguing with them.
She was getting loud and making a problem.
Don't know what happened, but I hope they called the cops on her.
For what good that would do.

dale2242
05-23-2020, 09:03 AM
gwpercel, Yes I have met one post office worker that was happy ALL the time.
Her name is donna and she works at our small local post office.
Mailing packages is once again a pleasant experience...dale

Buzz Krumhunger
05-23-2020, 04:53 PM
We have a cheerful lady named Roxanna working at our PO here. From observing what she has to put up with, I don’t know how she does it.

Winger Ed.
05-23-2020, 05:16 PM
We have a cheerful lady named Roxanna working at our PO here. From observing what she has to put up with, I don’t know how she does it.

Give them a little time. They'll beat that nonsense out of her.

jonp
05-23-2020, 07:17 PM
I had one try that on me. I stopped her half way in, told her I didn't care what she did or didn't like and took the package out of her hands and left.

Geezer in NH
05-23-2020, 08:54 PM
My Post Misstress name is Joyce. She has been nothing but help. Set me up with mail on line, pickup, flat rates, and much more. Handled problems of theft and insurance.

I cannot say the same for any UPS or Fedex employee.

She made it easy for my gunshop and barrel sales business. I was pround o go to her retirement party. The folks she trained were the same.

However in three shops from other towns in my area had problems until they placed formal complaints to the Postmaster General for delay of the post and interference in commerce. Make noise they are public employees who are paid well for correct service.

jsizemore
05-23-2020, 09:38 PM
The post office ladies leave me candy and pie in my box during the holidays.

jimlj
05-23-2020, 11:17 PM
I've known several postal workers who have been nothing but nice and helpful.
I have also dealt with some that were worse than having the dentist drilling on my teeth.
The same could be said about everyone at one time or another. Have you ever had to deal with the people at the wally world service counter?

Streetwalker
05-24-2020, 12:50 AM
I worked for the U.S. Postal Service for 28 years and was proud to be a letter carrier wearing the blue uniform. On my city route, I had 13 FFL holders over the years and many fellow shooters just like me. I delivered every kind and shape of parcel imaginable and was proud to do it, just like every other carrier I ever knew. The patrons on my route were my customers and serving them was an honor that I never took lightly. After all, those customers paid our wages. The only parcels that I ever had a problem with were those to some friendly Micronesian students and families who regularly received packages of some type of food from their home islands in the South Pacific that absolutely stunk to high heaven!! I just smiled, held my breath and delivered those as well. I'll deliver a bulged, misshapen package about to fall apart over one of those Micronesian care packages any day!

downzero
05-24-2020, 01:06 AM
Don't worry. The post Office is Not to long for this world

The post office has been part of the constitution since it was written. You might want to rethink that one.

David2011
05-24-2020, 02:35 AM
Our letter carrier knows our names and we know his. We always exchange pleasantries if we’re out when he comes by. The employees at the office have been great as well. Same experience with the PO in the last town where we were in New Mexico but the rural delivery contractor was quite “independent”.

ACC
05-24-2020, 08:53 AM
At my PO if it is swollen just a little they charge the next higher rate.

ACC

MrWolf
05-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Geezer, I like the Post Mistress. Mine was my match maker. Tried fixing me up twice till I found my girlfriend on Farmersonly.com. In my area, they know everyone and are very helpful.

Idaho45guy
05-24-2020, 10:05 AM
I've had mostly good experiences with my local little post office. Then a couple of months ago, I tried to send a package to my daughter in Japan. I picked up an empty liquor box from the liquor store on my last visit that was the perfect size and the heaviest-duty cardboard box I've ever seen. Plus it had little cardboard dividers in it that were perfect for what I was sending.

I arrived at the post office with it all taped up solid and an address label ready and was told they couldn't ship it because it had liquor logos on it.

What? But there's no booze in it. Didn't matter. So I had to buy a roll of their solid packing tape and tape over all the logos and wording. Just dumb.

That and the rule that since I live within a 1/4 mile of the post office, they won't deliver mail to my house and I have to have a PO Box. It's a pain.

Oh, and they kept leaving red paper slips in my box warning me to contact people that were sending mail to my street address and not my PO Box. But they were leaving the slips with letters from junk mailers with unsolicited offers for insurance and credit cards. Really? If it was mail from my insurance company or mortgage people, I could understand, but junk mail?

shaune509
05-24-2020, 03:31 PM
Back about 1980 the company I worked for had a booth at the local home show with peelin stick info reply cards that show goers would fill out there name and address. I took 2 boxes of reply letters to the main PO annex, the counter guy would not let me leave till he looked at every single enevlope. He was complaining that the address on some were using the wrong 'City'. The people who lived in what we refered too as the Valley were using Spokane instead of the name of the Post Office that the zip went to like opportunity, green acres, veradale, etc. When I ask if the zip did not get it to the right PO he said that the address MUST be totally correct and refused to except any of the mis marked ones, on leaving I put the refused mail in the drive up box in the lot. They all got mailed with no returned for incorrect address, it was just him with a stick up his rear.
Shaune509

downzero
05-24-2020, 03:58 PM
It's not the only part of the constitution Trump has tried to get around. He hasn't succeeded yet.

If salpal is a Trump supporter, he's probably listening to "news outlets" that tell him otherwise, though. They have a lot of weird ideas that don't stand up to close scrutiny.

I really don't know what you're talking about or how this is responsive, but to second an earlier comment, wherever you're getting your news, please, please seek another source.

Winger Ed.
05-24-2020, 04:22 PM
they couldn't ship it because it had liquor logos on it.

Reminds me of a story my Mom told.
She was a retired nurse, but still took 'RN' magazine.

Their covers often had pictures of a kidney, lungs, or some other internal organ.
They had to change all that because so many postal workers complained about how gross the cover pictures were.

Bantou
05-24-2020, 05:01 PM
The bulged boxes don't run through the sorting machines well, neither do 70lb MFRB of lead! The woman in the post office wasn't happy with my 68lb MFRB. I told her, your rules not mine! lol

Mine roll their eyes at me when I walk in now. The lady behind the counter greeted me with “yay it’s the lead guy” the last time I sent out a shipment lol. I’ll probably drop off a tray of cookies or brownies or something next time I go just to help smooth things over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsdelong
05-25-2020, 03:25 PM
There is an official gauge the counter staff have.

Ask one time to see them gauge it, you will never hear it again.

I have found a very few power hungry individuals shaped 95% of my bad feelings about post office.

I now have a fantastic route person and counter person.

I try to do my part also

GOPHER SLAYER
05-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Several years ago I shipped a LFR box full of 9mm cases to Delaware. The man I sent it to said they delivered it in a basket since the box was destroyed in transit. Since that time I have doubled the sides,top and bottom of all the boxes I send. I also wrap the box with a liberal amount of clear tape.

Mytmousemalibu
05-25-2020, 04:01 PM
they told me the same. Envelopes can be bulging because theres not much that can be done to stop it but flat rate boxes are not suppose to be bulged.

Maybe its just me but it seems pretty hypocritical to complain to the paying customer about a box with bulging sides. When items that clearly don't fill/bulge a FRB and is new & sharp shape and when you receive the package it looks like it was used for soccer practice, a door stop, and a step ladder and the box has zero integrity anymore. And they have the gall to gripe about flat sides?

I do appreciate our postal service and there are some good people there and some crack post offices out there but most of us have had our fair share of aggravation with USPS too. The lack of competence and accountability in general in this day & age is infuriating.

Hueyville
05-25-2020, 04:50 PM
I buy a lot of lead, ingots, bulk boxes of jacketed bullets and one time had a vendor put 5,000 147 grain FMJ 30 caliber bullets in a single box which decided to fail in my post offices sorting machine and over half the bullets spilled out into the machine then got drug through it and scattered across the floor under it. They handed me a big heavy platinum bag of nice clean bullets and said they thought they had found most of them. Wife checked each closely to ensure non were bent, out of round our otherwise damaged and all were fine. When we ran them and hit 5,000 cases were three bullets left from,the bag of bullets postal workers spent hours hunting while their sorting machine was down. Not upset at me a bit but asked me to have vendor package them better next time. Bullets were dumped in cardboard box lined with a thin platinum bag and one turn of packing tape around it.

Buy a lot of the 5,500 count boxes of 5.56 Hornady 62 grain FMJ and one order had purchased ten boxes which the seller taped two of the Hornady factory shipping boxes together into five separate packages. As they went through the machine it ripped the corner off one box spilling most of the 5,500 5.56 bullets into and under sorting machine. For the past decade now my post office holds all "heavy" packages with my P.O. Box number at back loading dock and put a note in my box to pick up at back door. Had a client ship me an AR 15 upper once for repair who packaged it very poorly and arrived with thin box ripped open and no padding so looked like the top half of an AR 15 staring out of the gaping hole. They just laughed as they brought it to me and had me open it to inspect for damage. Glad I don't live in California or New York.

rbuck351
05-25-2020, 09:03 PM
When sending a med or lg flat rate box with brass or bullets and other such stuff, I build a box from OSB that just fits inside the cardboard box and assemble it with screws including screwing the top on when filled. Then I tape a paper to the wood box with the following: Postal workers if you are reading this you have destroyed a flat rate box. Please forward this to ........

So far no problems. I think they play postal football with the heavy packages.

Bantou
05-26-2020, 03:57 PM
When shipping large quantities of lead, I put it in a small box inside the MFRB and then fill the void with spray foam. To my knowledge, I haven’t had a box break since I started doing it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pressman
05-26-2020, 04:24 PM
I have a real sweetie working the window at my Post Office. Like the time I tried to mail 9 empty large peanut butter jars to a board member to use for boolit storage. She got out her tape measure and check the length and width then announced it would be $35.00 because of the size of the box that didn't weigh anything. I sucked it up and paid up and she enjoyed watching my reaction. And yes, she still likes to give me flack over the peanut butter jars.

But, when I mailed a LFRB to Florida on a Monday with delivery for Friday, she added a couple extra wraps of tape just to be sure. As it turned out the box was delivered on Wednesday in perfect condition. So, I made a point of stopping in to tell her how happy we were with the service and it must have been her little bit of extra tape the made a difference.

Dieselhorses
05-26-2020, 04:42 PM
The post office has been part of the constitution since it was written. You might want to rethink that one.

A lot of things have been part of the constitution, look at those parts today.

abunaitoo
05-26-2020, 10:01 PM
We've has some strange workers at the post office I go to.
One lady was a real dingbat. She's gone now.
Had a crack addict who's mother and sister also worked there. All three gone now.
Still there is a guy who's just looking to get through.
No personality at all. But he does do his job.
Another one is one of those "hawaiian sovereignty" type.
She thinks she's better than everyone else.
Never trusted any sovereignty types who take money from the gooberment their hate.
She's always talking down to people and doesn't listen to what they say.
I have a feeling she's one of those "untouchable" workers.
The girl in charge now is one of those "beauty queen" types.
At least I think she's still there. Bosses always hide in the back.
She replaced a black guy who caused nothing but problems.
We have a new delivery guy. He's OK.
Guy before him was an immigrants.
Really hard to understand what he was saying.
I took the test once. 98%, but never got called.
Would have loved to have gotten in.
Friends son has been one for almost 10 years now.
Only thing he doesn't like is to much overtime.
Cannot say no.

nelsonted1
05-26-2020, 11:40 PM
I ordered a photographers shoot through white umbrela. Came in a paper.envelope.with the handle.sticking out, bent. I sent an.email to china.saying a.dope.sent.me.an umbrella in an envelope. Said sorry, sorry, so sorry. Month later.got.another umbrella with handle sticking out of.a brown paper.envelope. That time not bent.

nelsonted1
05-26-2020, 11:48 PM
I stopped.our driving mailman with freshly cooked brownies. He begged me to back it out of the car because he was diabetic and couldn't handle temptation. He had a quart.of.Jim beam in the open glove compartment. He drank his whole route. Drunk all the time without ever hitting a mailbox. He was the type of mailman who sat with dying customers in hospice and went to everyone's wedding

nelsonted1
05-26-2020, 11:54 PM
My nephew's woman had a walking route in the town the family lived in. Carried.dog.biscuits with her. Dogs.would escape.and race down the road after her. She knew everyone and would get all kinds of food, home made candy, gift certificates at christmas. She worked as a contractor then was hired full time. She loved walking in every kind of weather. Full time put her in a big city post office. I havnt heard how that is going

nelsonted1
05-27-2020, 12:01 AM
Our previous driver had a word out sedan hunkered down its rear shocks. Shed.see me at the end of the driveway and weave back and forth and honk her horn. I called her the grim reaper.coming.to.take me.away.
Her replacement is now driving on tires so worn they look like inner tubes. She hasn't gotten a nickname. Yet.

nelsonted1
05-27-2020, 12:06 AM
Our inside mail lady is a phillipeano, we think. She is so shockingly beautiful people (my brother, cough, cough) guys make.special post.office.runs. She.is.the reason the.ok boxes are.selling out.

lightman
05-27-2020, 08:22 AM
I’ll probably drop off a tray of cookies or brownies or something next time I go just to help smooth things over.

Something like this and a kind word can go a long way. I always try to say something friendly to the route Lady too!

lightman
05-27-2020, 08:31 AM
The lack of competence and accountability in general in this day & age is infuriating.

This is not just a problem with the post office but just about every other place too! But it makes you appreciate it when you encounter a competent person or get good service someplace.

Elroy
05-27-2020, 10:37 AM
The fact that you received the parcel instead of attempted to mail it should have cleared you of any criticism. Some people are just plain unlikable,and most for good reason. We had a lady Postmaster at the time that all the addresses were changed to the new 911 addresses , and she was always marking on our mail,and making it clear that it would be within her rights to send it back if we ever got anything addressed to the old address. The flats rate boxes do have lines were they must be folded,but I have folded some a little over the line,and bulged a few as well to keep from jumping from an $8 dollar box to a $15..I don't tape a box up ,and some times don't even box an item till I go in the PO. The woman that works there now is nice,and she always tapes it up,and she herself has even slightly bulged,or folded my boxes at a little more capacity than what may technically be allowed.