PDA

View Full Version : Arbor Press Mod

JMax
05-21-2020, 04:34 PM
I got tired of the crummy handle on my arbor press used for making gas checks. I had a round knob handle from one of my Dillon 550 presses. The extension of the handle was too shot to work. After a few measurements I mounted The drive in a vise and started filing, a bit narrow for the handle and wider for the 7/8" nut. The shank was relieved (good) so I used some .016" aluminum shim stock to fit the shank and locked into place. Now I can make checks for my 30 cal rifles without discomfort.
Close up photo Full handle Length

Bookworm
05-21-2020, 07:15 PM
Good job! Modified to personal requirements.

Or, as the old body shop guy used to say; "Beat on it 'til it fits, then paint it to match."

Ed_Shot
05-23-2020, 01:40 PM
I can live with the cheap handle on my HF arbor press but I hate the whimpy "handle-slide-adjustment-screw/bolt" (or whatever it's called) on the end of the arbor press shaft. I see the one in the picture above is all chewed up from use too. Anybody know the specs on a hex-head bolt to replace that?

JMax
05-23-2020, 03:32 PM
It’s not needed but I screwed in in as a reminder why I didn’t do this much earlier. I got tired of getting a blister in my palm when I make checks, a yearly affair when I make a few thousand. Remembered the ball handle, broke out the files and the rest is history.