PDA

View Full Version : Spare Lyman top plate screw

jcw1970
11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Anyone out there have a spare Lyman top plate screw they would like to donate? Casting last night and the thing snapped in half. Wasn't hitting it hard at all. I just would hate to buy a rebuild kit just for the screw. Or can someone tell me what kind of screw it is and if i can just go to Loews or Home Depot and pick it up.

Dale53
11-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't have an extra screw and neither can I help you with the size.

However, I CAN help you in avoiding this problem in the future:

After the mould is up to temperature and casting well, lay the 'hammer" down and start twisting the sprue plate to break the sprue. Naturally, you will want to use a pair of gloves (I use "fireplace' gloves or "welders" gloves). It is easily done (I count six seconds after the sprue changes color to insure it is "set") and just twist the sprue. The advantage is two fold:
1-You will get better bases
2-I haven't broken a sprue plate screw in sixty years of casting and hundreds of thousands of GOOD cast bullets.

Just a suggestion...

Oh, here is another. If you have a second Lyman mould, remove that screw, take it to the hardware store and get a couple of spares. If you have a choice, get a "high strength" screw as they are MUCH tougher and should solve the problem for good.

Dale53

dragonrider
11-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Take the mold with you to the hardware store, you will find one that fits.

Jon K
11-26-2008, 12:53 PM
jcw,

Sprue plate screw(shoulder screw) is available from Lyman, price is $2.00, 1,2 or 4 cavity, each is different.

www.lymanproducts.com
or call 800 225-9626

Jon

Calamity Jake
11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Thread size should be 10-32, a shoulder screw is at Ace hardware take the mold with you