PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret Press

Marc2
12-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Anyone have any experience with this press. Looks like its built on the same linkage system, and has the same ram as the Classic cast and can reload rifle calibers up to 3" semi progressively. Their brochure says it will accept some sort of auto priming system.

Any info would be appreciated.

Marc

grumble
12-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Marc, I have a Lee 4-hole turret press, and I really like it. It mounts right between my RCBS single stage and my Dillon 550b. I especially like the turret press for loading up 10-15 rounds of ammo with different powder charges while working up a new load. It's lots faster then either the single stage or the progressive for small changes like that. If you want to change calibers, it's also quicker and easier for that. If you're going to load a large batch of the same ammo, you can't beat the progressive, but for smaller lots, the turret is a real handy thing to have.

I also use the single stage a lot, but that's another story. I use all three quite a bit, and each has its own strengths.

Never used the primer system, since the Lee hand primer is so much faster and less prone to foul-up. Largest cases I've loaded on the Lee turret press are 7mm Mag. With heavy bullets, I have to feed the bullets at an angle into the die to get them in line with the case mouth.

For the price, you won't go too far wrong with the Lee turret. Be sure it's the 4-hole turret, not the 3-hole.

There. Now all the Lee-haters can come out of the woodwork and tell you that unless a press costs three times as much as the Lee, it ain't worth crap.

Marc2
12-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Grumble,

Thanks for your reply. I too own a Lee 4 hole turret press and have many years of fine service from this machine. What I was refering to, though, was their New Turret press built on the same frame, ram and linkage as the beefy classic cast press. From the pix I saw it looked like the Classic Cast with three risers and a 4 hole turret mounted on top. It should give alot more room and leverage to load rifle calibers.

Marc

grumble
12-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Oops! Sorry, Marc. I misunderstood your question. I have no knowledge about the press you describe.

Marc2
12-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Grumble,

Just called Lee and got the scope. The machine has not yet been released. About a month away. It looks like a great machine, built on the same frame as the newer classic cast. The linkage and ram also look identical to the classic cast. According to Lee you can load up to 50 BMG on this Turret press and auto index any rifle case up to 3".

Marc

grumble
12-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Sounds like quite a machine, Marc! You gonna get one? It's more capability than I need, but would like to hear about it if you do.

Marc2
12-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Grumble,

I think I will, unless I read some negative reviews. I'll wait until Midway has it (usually about 60% of Lees Factory price). I want it to load 45-70s, 35 Remingtons and 270s. I'd like having a auto index turret for rifle calibers. I already have several 4 hole turrets and the dies. According to the lady at Lee this press would interchange with the original turrets.

Marc

13Echo
12-21-2005, 08:15 PM
If you want to see the Classic Turret Press the official instructions are already posted on the Lee site. Check out this url. The instructions are there for downloading right at the top.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/instruct/

Looks like Lee four hole turret press top grafted on the bottom and linkage of the Classic press.

Jerry Liles

tomf52
12-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Marc2 - This press caught my eye also. Santa was giving me funds for new press for Christmas and I was all set to get either the Redding or Lyman turret but now will wait for Midway to get this one in stock. Like it much more than the others. Lee products have all been winners with me. If you stop and think about it, just the principle of offering goods at a fair price says much for the character of their company and anything I have purchased from them has performed well. Not well considering the price, but WELL. I like the idea of the auto indexing of the new Lee turret (which can be disengaged) and it is a cast iron press. I did an extensive search on the net and nobody has it yet. Acually, I hope Cabela's gets it soon as I have both gift certificates and hhuge discount coupons from them.

Old Schmuck
12-22-2005, 09:27 AM
I agree with you 100%. A friend made me buy a LeeLoadAll 25 years ago and I couldn't believe all the bushings were included when you have to buy them individually with any other machine. I'm using a MEC Grabber now but I'm still using the old LLA for my slugs. It may be in plastic but it is quite strong in fact.When I started reloading for rifles and pistols, what brand do you think I went to ?
I bought the wrong model though (Challenger). I should have bought a turret.

OS

omgb
12-22-2005, 10:09 AM
I have a Redding turret and I love it. The thing is built like a "you-know-what". I also have a Rockchucker that I bought back in the 70s, and a Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive. All of these are quality machines that are over-engineered and beautifully crafted. I had a Lee progressive but got rid of it after having one headache after another with it. I use some Lee products, (their 20 lb furnace, some moulds, a priming tool and manual decapper as well as some Lee dies) but over all, the more substantial Lee products such as presses and powder measure, have all failed to impress me quality wise.
R J Talley

KCSO
12-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I guess I can't complian about a Lee turret press. I bought the first 3 holer in N/E Nebraska and have used it to load over 100,00 rounds of ammo. That isn't bad for a press that cost me $48.00. I currently load for 35 calibers and have 26 of these pre set in lee 3 hole turrets. The only reason I didn't get a 4 holer was that I have such a large inventory of 3 hole stuff. I may have to change over when this press comes out.

Marc2
12-22-2005, 05:00 PM
KCSO,

They do provide good service. The Lee 3 hole was my first press. Dad bought it for me for my 16th Birthday (along with a Browning Sweet 16 shotgun). Loaded 45 ACP and a couple of rifle calibers with it. Upgraded (if you can call it that) to progressives later but still have that old Turret and use it for rifle calibers. Lee must have done something right when they designed it. I'll bet theres a bunch out there loading ammo. You rarely see a used one for sale.

Marc

quasi
12-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Lee= entry level crap

omgb
12-23-2005, 06:43 PM
"Lee=entry level crap" I'm afraid I can't agree with that assessment. The stuff works..mostly and works well. I would take exception to the Pro 1000 which I think sucks more than a Kansas twister. That being said, they produce good, solid, functiong machines albeit on the budget side. If pride of ownership is not an issue and pure funtionality is, the Lee "O" press is spot on as is the trimmer, smaller hand tools and the dies.

R J Talley

Bret4207
12-23-2005, 07:07 PM
I once read that you can hand a rank amatuer the finest tools in the world and will get amatuer results. On the other hand you can hand a master craftsman beginers tools and he'll turn out fine work even though handi-capped by the lesser quality tools. I'll never be above journeyman class I don't imagine, but the Lee stuff works pretty good for me. Not all of it, but most of it. I think it's as much a matter of attitude and work habits as quality. Take your time, lube as needed and remember the mould or die cost 1/4 of a higher quality brand and may take a little more care to use properly.

Vegas Vince
12-23-2005, 11:52 PM
I started reloading again about three years ago. My oldest son has all my old equipment and would not part with it. I bought all Lee equipment. I have the cheap Reloader press, the Classic and the Pro-master. All work very well. I shoot five or six days a week, mostly hand gun. I burn up 400 to 600 rounds a week. With the Lee Pro-master I can load two to three hundred rounds per hour. The caliber change over takes about 15 min. I reload four hand gun, two rifle calibers and cast all my boolites. Several of my friends have much more expensive equipment, but don't produce any better quality. I save over $2000.00 a year reloading and my equipment investment was recovered the first year. You can buy the Cadillac or a Jeep, but all equipment is good if you like it.

By the way, I found this company in Ohio that has good every day prices on Lee porducts.

http://www.fmreloading.com/

Marc2
12-24-2005, 12:12 AM
I was looking at and Lee Pro 1000 in 45 Colt and posted here requesting other board members experience with this press. Most of the reviews were pretty negative so I passed on the machine. Well, a couple of weeks later, a relative gave me a Pro 1000 as a gift but it was in 44 Special. I didnt expect it to work but spent a couple hours setting it up and studying the design. The machine has produced about 3000 rounds of ammo without any problems. The primer system even works on mine. Don't misunderstand, I'm sure there are folks here that had serious problems with them and maybe I got the only good one in the country. I keep expecting to go into my reloading room and finding a pile of dust where the press was but so far so good.

Marc

waksupi
12-24-2005, 12:23 AM
I once read that you can hand a rank amatuer the finest tools in the world and will get amatuer results. On the other hand you can hand a master craftsman beginers tools and he'll turn out fine work even though handi-capped by the lesser quality tools. I'll never be above journeyman class I don't imagine, but the Lee stuff works pretty good for me. Not all of it, but most of it. I think it's as much a matter of attitude and work habits as quality. Take your time, lube as needed and remember the mould or die cost 1/4 of a higher quality brand and may take a little more care to use properly.

Brett, you said a mouthful. It has been my pleasure and honor, to know many master craftsmen over the years. And very few have the newest and latest tools. In fact, many are homemade, for a particular purpose, that serve quite well. They may not be fancy, or of any recognizable design, but they perform the job they were intended for, and a master craftsman will do a very credible job with them. One engraver in particular comes to mind, that has made his own engraving block, and tools. and he is an aknowledged Austrian Master. He does presentation pieces for collectors, and SFI all would drool over.
One of the other gunsmiths working with m,e, is also a backwoods rifle builder as i am, and we are able to turn out rifles , as well as anyone with the newest equipment. Grant you, gun building tools haven't changed a lot in the last hundred years, but the fact still stands.
And I know a goodly amount of hacks, with top grade equipment, that turn out pure crap, that would not be acceptable by any serious students.

omgb
12-24-2005, 01:30 AM
I would agree with all that has been said. My gripe was specifically with the Lee Pro 1000 which gave me fits back in the late 80s when I bought one. The primer feed was iffy and the case feed was difficult to get to work consistantly. The powder drop was very good and case activated! The tool gave me the impression that it was built strong enough and no more.

Fast foreward to the present. My Redding turret press is built like a tank. It has clearance enough to load 45-110s without a hitch and it can resize and case form the most difficult cases.

My Hornady Progressive is a wonderful piece of machinery. It feels like butter when cycled and it is built at least 300% over what it needs to be. I love the feeling off substantial machinery.

My Hornady 366 Progressive Shotshell press turns out flawless ammo with every pull of the handle. Unfortunately, my Lee press does not. Granted, the Lee came with all of the bushings and it has worked for me in the past but never as flawlessly and nevre as quickly as the Hornady. However, the Lee was what, $29.00 25 years ago and it's still $29.00 today. It works. Not perfectly and not with a wide variety of hulls but it does work and I shot a lot of game with hulls loaded on it. In fact, I even used it for loading BP more than a few times with very good results.

My lead pots are all Lee and I would hesitate to invest any more money in anything else except maybe a Waage. These do leak but hey, for the price, I can live with a drip or two.

Lee moulds are cheap and often undersized. That I can't forgive. I use them for ML but nothing else (I did just buy a 6 cavity 32-20 mould so I'm a bit of a hypocrite) the Lee lead dipper is a ***. Dang man, a bent spoon would work better and be cheaper. Who ever designed that *** never cast a bullet over 70 grains. The primer pocket tool is adequate. The case neck tool is cheap but it works. The primer tool is a work of art. Copied by RCBS but not nearly so well. The dies are very very good especially for the money. The hand decapper is excellent. I break them on that 70s made gook '06 ammo but they keep replacing them so who cares. Liquid alox....Pluuuease. Crap, pure crap. However, the push through sizing system is very very cool. Nose first and into a hopper. Very well thought out indeed. Lee shell holders are perfect and cheap. Double perfect in my book!

Reece

kenjuudo
12-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Reece, ya ever get that wire tweaked out on your LNLAP?

jim

omgb
12-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Yes I sure did and thank you very much if I hadn't already said so. The machine works like a charm now.
Reece.

milsurpcollector1970
12-26-2005, 01:29 PM
I have 2 Lee pro 100 presses, I think people's main problem with Lee is that much of the equipment is made on the cheap side.BUT...It works well and if something breaks Lee always fixes it for free usually. I have no complaints. I could buy a Dillon if I wanted it but it would cut into my firearms budget, and who would want that. I love the auto case feeder on the pro 1000 and i doubt the dillon would produce ammo that is more accurate

KCSO
01-03-2006, 03:55 PM
My Lee Classic turret press was shipped today. They are sending me one for testing and evaluation and as soon as it arrives I will be posting a test report.

KCSO
01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Sorry I was inturrupted...

The Press will Retail for $120.00 and you shoud see it on sale coming in right at $100.00 . It is all cast steel and uses a 4 hole turret.

omgb
01-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Update on my Lee 6 cavity mould. I really like it. The bullets drop at .314 from each cavity and they are nicely round and concentric. The large handles work well and the bullets drop freely from the mould. On the negative, the sprue plae screw likes to walk out of its hole. I'm going to drill and tap it for a keeper screw. Lee should have done this. Oh well. All-in-all, a nice piece of equipment.

Marc2
01-05-2006, 11:28 PM
KCSO,

Very interested in hearing how Classic Turret press works.

Marc

KCSO
01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
The Classic turret press came in yesterday and I got it mounted tonight.

Before I make my comments or do a full review of the press I thought I might mention the other presses i use so you will know where I am coming from. For absolute top notch accuracy i use a Co-Ax that is marked Bonnanza and was purchased in 1971. I also have a Spar T that came from about the same time. I have a Tru Line Jr that I have used for 38's and such since 1976 and I got the press well used. I also have a Herters perss that looks like a 2 hole C-H H press, but I don,t use it anymore. My most often used press is a Lee 3 hole turret press that i got the year they came out (1980??). I have 25 die sets in their own turrets so I can load most anything I need without screwing dies in and out. I am Not a fan of die turning. and until the Lee came along I thought the Co-Ax was the best thing since sliced bread and it is the most accurate press I have ever had.

Now to the new Lee, just a few quick impressions. It is BIG. It will load 50BMG and so it has a full 180 degrees of lever travel. The turret is a 4 hole style, but I may be able to switch it to a 3 hole head. (I'm cheap and I have 25 3 hole turrets, thats 250 bucks worth.) The 1.125 diameter ram of the Lee is smooth in operation and the ejected primers go right through and into a tube under the ram, along with all the grit. The leverage is good and sizing 35 whelen to 30-06 was easy.
The new primer system is a big advance on the old turret press. The Long lever throw may make the press tiring to use, but I can load 45-110 with a 535 bullet without tipping the case into the press opening.

If anyone wan't the full low down I will do up a comprehensive report for the articles section.

MARCORVET
01-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Lee= entry level crap

I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THAT. I have a Lee Load Master that I have benn using for about seven years. It has loaded about 15,000 rounds of 9mm, 38/357, 45LC, and 223 rem. You have to adjust the ram about every 5,000 rounds, but that only takes five minutes to do.

steveb
02-06-2006, 02:19 AM
I have the Lee 3 hole turrent press and couldnt be happier,and in conjuntion with the powder through expanding die and the pro powder measure this thing rock-n-rolls.I use the three hole turrent cause I full length size on a Lee singlestage I have and use the Lee autoprime for all my priming.I buy Lee because its what I can afford and I buy Lee because it works.This new Classic Turrent Press looks like a dandy and www.midway.com has them in stock now for 79.99 heres the link check it out......Steve

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=814175

Wayne Smith
02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
HUH? Midway says it can handle cases "from 3" long all the way up to..." What about cases less than 3" long? Is this a serious misprint or what?

MT Gianni
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Lee has a new priming system for their turret press's that is a pour and stack style. It should make the process faster and eliminate handling. I found few things worse than the priming system that came out originally. I ordered one this morning from Graf& Son's 29.99 and a 4 hole update kit 15.99. Gianni.

KCSO
02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Wayne
It handles cases up to 3" long. I have loaded everything from 32 S and W to 45-110 on mine with no problems. I retired my old Lee turret press after 100,000 rounds of ammunition and am currently working with the Lee cast classic turret press. I really like the primer arm and the primer disposal tube. I cut mine off to 12" and just empty it of spent primers and detrius every couple hundred rounds.

sundog
02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
KCSO, is it possible to fabricate a shorter arm for those loading duties that don't require as much torque? If so, the shorter lever would mean less distance, hence less tiring. I'm thinking in terms of most everything except FLSing, and even then smaller well lubed cases should work okay. Looks like a nice press. I have had 2 turret presses for a looong time, one bought new, the other a garage sale special for almost free (with dies and turrets), and one I converted to the 4-holer. I like them for pissola ammo mostly. Priming on them sucks big time. New priming system is 'mo betta', huh? sundog

steveb
02-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Ive wondered about the new priming system as well,But the Lee auto prime works so good I probably still just prime my cases all at once with it

KCSO
02-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I never thought of a shorter arm. I just grab the lever mid point and only pull it down enough for the case I am using at the time. I do a lot of my priming with an old Lee aluminum primer tool that I got in 1969. It still works fast enough for me, but if it ever wears out I will be lost.

Swagerman
02-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Doesn't the Lee Classic turret have the adjustable bolt/nut on the linkage system -- like the the Lee Classic single stage press???

I have the single stage model and have the lever handle shortend down to where is is very conveinant for me...this is done by lousning the nut and sliding the round bar handle up or down to where you want it.

Jim

tomf52
02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
My new one arrived Monday. So far I have loaded 100 rounds of 9mm on it. It looks to me like one of the best reloading investments I have made. Economical, fast, and easy to use. Very well made. Replaces my single stage Lyman. In the last year I am gradually replacing my reloading tools ( RCBS,Lyman) with Lee. Less expensive by a long shot, easier to use and just as proficient as the more expensive stuff. No financial ties to the company, just a very satisfied consumer.

44 magnum
02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
I have one on order from F&M Reloading, cost was $74.91 plus $7.50 shipping.

F&M Reloading (http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FMR&Product_Code=90064&Category_Code=Semi+Progressive+Presses)

Paul :razz:

abunaitoo
03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Could those of you who have the new classic turret press tell me if the old 3 holes turret will work on it?????
Seem like Lee would make sure they would work together.
I've been using the old turret for years and it's never let me down.

KCSO
03-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Yes you can convert. Since I had 35 three hole turrets I just took off the 4 hole head and put on the 3 holer. No problems and everything lines up ok. In fact Lee sells a 4 hole conversion set for older presses.

44 magnum
03-16-2006, 08:14 PM
I have one on order from F&M Reloading, cost was $74.91 plus $7.50 shipping.

F&M Reloading (http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FMR&Product_Code=90064&Category_Code=Semi+Progressive+Presses)

Paul :razz:

Well I got my Lee press but got it from Midway on the "special price" deal at $72. F&M Reloading couldn't fill my order as Lee is backed up big time with orders.

Paul

rbstern
03-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Yes you can convert. Since I had 35 three hole turrets I just took off the 4 hole head and put on the 3 holer. No problems and everything lines up ok. In fact Lee sells a 4 hole conversion set for older presses.

KCSO, are you saying you can drop the old style 3-hole head onto the new Classic Cast press and use the 3 hole turrets? What about auto indexing?

boogerred
03-17-2006, 01:02 AM
rb-i changed a 3-hole pro 1000 to a 4-hole AI. the index rods are different.the 3-hole takes a spiral twist HEX rod and the 4-hole takes a spiral twist SQUARE rod.you would probably have to change the rod and the part that clamps on the ram and makes the rod turn to convert a 4-hole to 3 and also you have to change the turret ring.

rbstern
03-17-2006, 03:48 AM
boogerred, I think the Classic Cast has a longer movement and uses a longer indexing rod. That's why I asked KCSO about auto indexing.

454PB
04-01-2006, 11:27 PM
I recently got the new Lee Classic Turret press. I have owned two of the three holer turret presses since they first came out. I liked the first one so much, I bought another as a spare. I bet I've loaded 40K rounds on the first one, the other was only used to verify that it worked.

Yes, the classic can be converted to use the three hole turrets, but it requires changing out the top portion. Since I already owned two of the older turrets, it was no biggie. I just robbed the head off of the spare. I own 9 of the 3 hole turrets with different caliber dies installed, so it was worthwhile not only expense wise, but I didn't have to change all my dies. Changing it back to the original 4 hole top takes about 2 minutes.

The handle is fully adjustable for length and angle, a neat feature allows the rod to slip into a friction grip at the bottom of the linkage.

One disappointment was the fact that the classic doesn't have the same hole pattern to fit the bench. My presses are mounted on steel plates that are drilled and tapped, then the plate is lag bolted to the bench. I had to make a new mounting plate with the same lag bolt pattern to avoid drilling more holes in my bench. The good part is that I can swap back and forth between the older turrets and the new one by removing two 3/8" lag bolts.

The main reason I wanted the new classic was to eliminate spent primers flying all over my loading room. I don't (and won't) use any press for priming, but found that the primer mechanism has to be in place on the classic or the spent primers still fly out the front every so often.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the new press.

Bucks Owin
04-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I've been thinking of a Classic Turret strictly for loading handgun ammo and all the "good press" here has convinced me!

FWIW, I like their moulds just fine (especially the price and the fact that there is no messing with handles) and the hand priming tool is great! The RCBS unit doesn't give nearly as much "feel" when seating primers IMO....

Dennis

steveb
06-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I got mine the other day and cant believe how stout and smooth and how purty this press is. I done a small article on my blog but found a much more detailed article on the classic turrent press and put the link on there as well.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/TurrentPresses.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/ramclassic1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/C358-180-RFgaschecked2.jpg

Thats the Lee C358-180-RF sitting on top the turrent

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/LeeClassicTurrentPressFront.jpg

Swagerman
06-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Wow! That is one well made good looken press.

And no, I'm not buying another reloading press...got nearly a dozen now. :mrgreen:

Already got a Lee Classic single stage.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PB250002.jpg

454PB
06-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Steveb.....great photography!

steveb
06-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Steveb.....great photography!

Thanks!:-D