PDA

View Full Version : I’d like to make a new thread.

Tazlaw
05-19-2020, 02:57 AM
I have seen on a different type forum, a thread of definitions related to what we do and talk about. (The other forum was a Jeep forum). Anyway, we can list and share what some of the terms mean, what acronyms are, and abbreviations for confusing language.

If there is already a thread that does this please forgive me as I have not found one.

THIS IS NOT THE THREAD I WOULD LIKE TO SEE, but a precursor to get one started.

For example:

Smelting pot—a pot to melt large (20–400lbs) quantities of lead/alloy. Ie range lead, wheel weights, roof flashing....to make ingots with.

Melting pot—a small pot to melt pre-made ingots for use in casting boolits.

IIRC—I have no idea if this is a forum member or a term.

“J” word boolits—a jacketed boolit. Kinda goes against why we cast boolits.

Boolit—another term for bullet/projectile.

COWW—clip on wheel weights for automotive type tires.

SOWW—stick on wheel weights for automotive type tires.

BRN—Brinell hardness rating???

M/L—muzzleloader

Pb—chemical element designation for lead.

Sb—antimony

Tn—tin

Zn—zinc
.we all keep adding terms and definitions.

Is this a dingbat idea? Please advise.

CLAYPOOL
05-19-2020, 03:39 AM
I like the idea...

edler7
05-19-2020, 04:24 AM
IIRC= If I Remember Correctly.

dangitgriff
05-19-2020, 06:46 AM
WTBW? (Whatchoo talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?) [emoji16]

Wayne Smith
05-19-2020, 07:43 AM
LOML = Love of My Life. My replacement for SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed - from H Ryder Haggard.

Minerat
05-19-2020, 09:59 AM
How about this one?

If the link does not work check Classics & Stickies go to the 15th post below the stickies section and you will find a post titled"Abbreviations - Acronyms - As Used on This Forum"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?107406-Abbreviations-Acronyms-As-Used-on-This-Forum

nun2kute
05-19-2020, 10:11 AM
I cant help u find it, but I know it's already out there

Edit: go to upper right hand corner of page to "search" box.
type in "forum abbreviations"

first one on list

bedbugbilly
05-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Good idea but how are you going to organize it? If a person is looking for the definition of a term/initials/etc. - they certainly don't want to "wade through" a lot of posts hunting for it. If there were some way to have just one post with the terms listed in alphabet order for a quick "look up", then that would be great - if it was only a bunch of "posts" by members throwing their definitions in - then I think it would greatly defeat the good idea/intention. JMTCW (just my two cents worth)

William Yanda
05-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Boollit descriptions:
HP-Hollow Point
SWC-Semi Wad Cutter

Scrounge
05-19-2020, 10:39 AM
I KNOW I'm not going to change common usage here, but smelting is reducing ore to extract the metal. What we do when we melt chunks of pipe, roof sheathing, wheel weights, range lead, or any other form of metal or alloy is melting, not smelting. This is me being a pendant. Feel free to ignore! With any luck, it will be the last one of the day, too. ;) https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=pedant&ia=definition

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-19-2020, 10:55 AM
I KNOW I'm not going to change common usage here, but smelting is reducing ore to extract the metal. What we do when we melt chunks of pipe, roof sheathing, wheel weights, range lead, or any other form of metal or alloy is melting, not smelting. This is me being a pendant. Feel free to ignore! With any luck, it will be the last one of the day, too. ;) https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=pedant&ia=definition

This discussion has happened several times over the years. You can take solace that many members agree with you.
The reason, I suspect, that some of us use the term "smelting", is to differentiate the actions of:
Melting clean ingots in a Lead furnace/melter/pot for casting boolits now.
AND
Melting and fluxing/Cleaning scrap lead in a larger vessel to be poured into ingots, in prep for future casting.

gwpercle
05-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Get the fishing poles out ...somebody fixing to open a Can-O-Worms !

Echo
05-19-2020, 01:45 PM
Tin - Sn, from Stannum, the latin word for tin...

Tazlaw
05-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Tin - Sn, from Stannum, the latin word for tin...

This is why I thought it was a good idea. I used Tn for tin. I stand corrected.