PDA

View Full Version : Refinished a Lyman All-American

smithnframe
05-18-2020, 01:12 PM
This is a press my dad bought new in 1972 and it was the workhorse in my handloading room until 2007 when I had to have a Forster coaxial press. Still used it though as the Forster universal shellholder gimmick forced me to buy more parts from Forster. It's been off the bench for about a year so I decided to give it a new look and put it back into service.
Pics to follow!

KMac
05-18-2020, 01:47 PM
262330 262331 262332

smithnframe
05-18-2020, 01:51 PM
Thanks KMac!

too many things
05-18-2020, 09:06 PM
too bad you didnt make it red . you say 72 didnt know that one was made then that has the small handle about 82. ?

smithnframe
05-19-2020, 06:52 AM
Definitely not 82.......I like the gray. I'm not an anal purist! And it was 72 when I started using it.

georgerkahn
05-19-2020, 07:15 AM
Smithnframe: If yours is the Lyman All-American -- I have and use three of these awesome (imho ;)) presses! I believe I purchased my first in 1972 -- coinciding with yours. I keep each set up with (rifle) dies in three different calibres. Never professing to be the brightest lamp in the fixture, though, it took me about a decade of use before I "discovered" that little screw which needs to be snugged up at rear of turret to attenuate any "wobble" -- providing maximum repeatability in every load. I have an "original vintage" Ohaus measure on each, too. I might add, too, that I neither decap nor prime with these presses -- I have an old Pacific single stage -- "my dirty press" reserved for ALL decapping; and, prime using a Holland/RCBS bench priming tool.
These are, indeed, GREAT presses. Congrats on your refurb -- I hope you get many years of productive enjoyment from it!
geo

Green Frog
05-19-2020, 10:50 AM
I got mine from the guy who bought it from the John Ambler estate. It had hardly been used... I assume just tested for review. I’ve got it semi-permanently set up for 327 FM using Lyman dies including their combination expander and through the die powder drop. Powder is measured using a long discontinued Lyman Accu-Measure. It seems just about perfect for this application. :mrgreen:

Froggie

smithnframe
05-19-2020, 01:45 PM
Hey George.......I have a couple old Ohaus powder measures too! Like I said in my first post this was my workhorse press for 35 years. I have quite a collection of the "J" type shell holders too!

georgerkahn
05-19-2020, 09:27 PM
Hey George.......I have a couple old Ohaus powder measures too! Like I said in my first post this was my workhorse press for 35 years. I have quite a collection of the "J" type shell holders too!

Somewhere (???) I have a box with a small J-assortment shell holders assortment, too. BUT, very early in the game I discovered the adapter which permits using Lyman X, and plain-Jane RCBS, Redding, et cetera shell holders -- and never looked back.262424 I love these presses....
geo

Green Frog
05-19-2020, 09:50 PM
Somewhere (???) I have a box with a small J-assortment shell holders assortment, too. BUT, very early in the game I discovered the adapter which permits using Lyman X, and plain-Jane RCBS, Redding, et cetera shell holders -- and never looked back.262424 I love these presses....
geo

That’s cheating, George! Anybody can find “normal” shell holders. You need to use the J-type so you really appreciate them! ;) It’s not like you’re trying to find them for a Herter’s or something. :kidding:

Froggie

georgerkahn
05-20-2020, 07:32 AM
You may have a point, Froggie; and now that I have each of my three All-Americans "dedicated" for one-each cartridge -- it surely might be a doable change. Back in 1968 or so when I started reloading, I was trying to get by with two and 1/2 part time jobs -- and, my 1st wife -- using a single stage RCBS press; one shell-holder each for the three calibres, only, I loaded. A few years later, sans both the single stage press and wife -- I graduated to the Lyman -- and buying the adapter seemed the "smart" thing to do, enabling my use of the shell holders I already had. Now -- in 2020 -- I do not know, but imagine J-type holders may be difficult to obtain, unless on the used market. And, even if so, those in odd-ball calibres -- or even those introduced after the AA's demise -- e.g., Was a J-type shell holder for 10mm Auto ever made? -- reinforce still using the adapter.
Note, though, I retained the J-types I have...
geo

Green Frog
05-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Look on the current Lyman shell holder list... find the one for your 10 mm and see what other cases it fits. Then you can find the J-type listed for that other case. I helped my cousin do this many years ago when the Ten first came out so he could use it in his All American.

Froggie

TNsailorman
05-21-2020, 11:33 AM
I have one of the AA presses and I also have the adapter to use modern shell holders. No way am I going to pay the prices that are being asked for the "J" shell holders. But then I have always been stubborn about overpaying for things. james

smithnframe
05-22-2020, 10:15 AM
I've had the adapter for several years also.......only use it when I have to.......which isn't very often!

Green Frog
06-05-2020, 08:32 AM
You may have a point, Froggie; and now that I have each of my three All-Americans "dedicated" for one-each cartridge -- it surely might be a doable change. Back in 1968 or so when I started reloading, I was trying to get by with two and 1/2 part time jobs -- and, my 1st wife -- using a single stage RCBS press; one shell-holder each for the three calibres, only, I loaded. A few years later, sans both the single stage press and wife -- I graduated to the Lyman -- and buying the adapter seemed the "smart" thing to do, enabling my use of the shell holders I already had. Now -- in 2020 -- I do not know, but imagine J-type holders may be difficult to obtain, unless on the used market. And, even if so, those in odd-ball calibres -- or even those introduced after the AA's demise -- e.g., Was a J-type shell holder for 10mm Auto ever made? -- reinforce still using the adapter.
geo

I just looked it up... you should be able to use a Lyman #15 shell holder, J- or X-type for your 10 mm loads. That was the one my cousin and I found at a gun show so he could load 10 mm/40 S&W on his All American. It’s not a commonly used size, so is likely to be found cowering at the bottom of somebody’s junk box (if you’re lucky!)

Froggie

Green Frog
01-24-2022, 08:58 PM
Has anyone found a rattle can that mimics the oddball Lyman red used on the All American and Comet presses? I’ve decided I “need” to paint one of my Accu-Measures to match the AA I have it mounted on. I mean, it’s only right, and I don’t want the fashion police to give me a citation for color clashing. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

dsh1106
01-26-2022, 06:00 PM
geo

I believe J holder #15 will fit the 10mm Auto

Update - I see Froggie already answered the mail on this.

dsh1106
01-26-2022, 06:04 PM
Has anyone found a rattle can that mimics the oddball Lyman red used on the All American and Comet presses? I’ve decided I “need” to paint one of my Accu-Measures to match the AA I have it mounted on. I mean, it’s only right, and I don’t want the fashion police to give me a citation for color clashing. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

I think this is close ..... ( https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?383687-Lyman-Grand-American )

If you want I can try to get a side-by-side with my Comet or AA Turret press.

LMK Froggie.

Scott