PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship 250 pounds of shot???

djohns28
05-17-2020, 08:50 AM
I happened across a sweet deal on a MEC 28 gauge press and the guy has "at least 10 bags of shot" size 8 and 9. He wants $10 a bag for the shot. So, what's the best/most economical way to ship all this? I'm assuming multiple boxes would be required. What carrier would be best given the quantity? Lastly, will cardboard work or does it need a wooden crate?

dverna
05-17-2020, 08:53 AM
You can put two bags in USPS Flat Rate box

Half Dog
05-17-2020, 09:10 AM
That is a GREAT deal on the shot. Congratulations

P.S. Let me know if that’s too much shot for you.

centershot
05-17-2020, 09:35 AM
You may want to ship that lot via truck. I used to work in shipping years ago, don't know now how the rates compare now, but check it out with your local freight hauling companies. If they won't drop-ship to your home you can always just pick it up at their terminal, probably a little cheaper than drop-ship that way.

6pt-sika
05-17-2020, 09:45 AM
USPS priority flat rate box is about the cheapest . Two bags in a medium box cost less than $14 . So that’s $20 for two bags of shot plus $14 or less for the postal charge which equates into $17 or less per bag which is less then half of the best price I can find for shot . I bought a bunch of shot a few months ago from the wife of a gun club member that had passed , I gave her $35 a bag and was glad to get it .

richhodg66
05-17-2020, 11:25 AM
Wish I could find a deal like that on some shot.

fatelk
05-17-2020, 01:35 PM
How far away is it? Is the seller going to want to mess with shipping multiple USPS boxes? Does he sound like the type capable of packing those boxes just right, so they don't break open and spill out on the journey?

navyvet
05-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Is a road trip out of question?

megasupermagnum
05-17-2020, 07:08 PM
I happened across a sweet deal on a MEC 28 gauge press and the guy has "at least 10 bags of shot" size 8 and 9. He wants $10 a bag for the shot. So, what's the best/most economical way to ship all this? I'm assuming multiple boxes would be required. What carrier would be best given the quantity? Lastly, will cardboard work or does it need a wooden crate?

As quickly as possible. The medium flat rate box, two bags at a time will probably be the best. I can't remember the last time I've seen even junk shot for that price. Likely 20+ years ago.

6pt-sika
05-17-2020, 08:09 PM
I was paying $11 a bag for chilled shot in 1985 . Magnum was a dollar more back then so I only shot magnum in the 28 and 410 so I’d save a few dollars LOL’s!

Winger Ed.
05-17-2020, 08:16 PM
If each one can possibly be considered heavy, the Post Office has a good reputation for losing them.

Tatume
05-18-2020, 07:31 AM
Nobody has cautioned you about taping the boxes. You need to wrap each box in fiberglass reinforced tape. If they are not adequately taped the USPS will drop them on the floor until the boxes burst.

centershot
05-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Nobody has cautioned you about taping the boxes. You need to wrap each box in fiberglass reinforced tape. If they are not adequately taped the USPS will drop them on the floor until the boxes burst.

^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^

That fiberglass tape is virtually indestructible! I wrap all the lead I ship in this stuff, much better than duct tape!

JM7.7x58
05-18-2020, 08:43 AM
The post office rejected a flat rate box for being over taped. The post office employee handed me a piece of paper with the rules on it. Basically you can only tape the seams. They can charge for the weight of something if they deem it over taped. So the person you are shipping to can either reject it or pay the extra postage due. I now double box stuff.
JM

ascast
05-18-2020, 08:53 AM
Wow, I've never heard of extra charge for "over taping". Usps is the cheapest,fastest, easiest. UPS may require a "business loading dock" or "fork lift". Fiberglass tape, lots of it. I suggest you put yor shot bags in another heavy plastic bag, maybe high quality garbage bag, then tape the crap out of it, then box and tape. good deal btw

downzero
05-18-2020, 10:18 AM
The post office rejected a flat rate box for being over taped. The post office employee handed me a piece of paper with the rules on it. Basically you can only tape the seams. They can charge for the weight of something if they deem it over taped. So the person you are shipping to can either reject it or pay the extra postage due. I now double box stuff.
JM

No they can't. If it fits, it ships. 70 pounds. All postal employees, even custodians, have to be able to lift 70 pounds for that reason.

I was paying $11 a bag for chilled shot in 1985 . Magnum was a dollar more back then so I only shot magnum in the 28 and 410 so I’d save a few dollars LOL’s!

That is $27 in today's money. $12 comes to $29.16. Shot is a bit more than that but not much. Most of the increase in prices is inflation.

Springfield
05-18-2020, 10:33 AM
It is not in the USPS rules that Flat rate boxes can't be overtaped, it is a lie regional offices tell. I was told this by my local Post Office, as I ship lead back and forth all the time. They actually DO want the package to get there intact. It wouldn't hurt to put those canvas lead bags inside the USPS Priority Tyvek bags, those are hard to break. Use reinforced tape on the seams and in both other directions so all sides are taped. They will still probably look like round balls by the time you get them.

megasupermagnum
05-18-2020, 10:57 AM
No they can't. If it fits, it ships. 70 pounds. All postal employees, even custodians, have to be able to lift 70 pounds for that reason.

That is $27 in today's money. $12 comes to $29.16. Shot is a bit more than that but not much. Most of the increase in prices is inflation.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a dolly or cart out there for the mail person either if you are not around when it is delivered.

Just a little bit over $29? Even the bottom of the barrel junk, you won't find under $45. Some have claimed lower, but I've never seen reclaimed much under $40. Most good shot is going to be $48-$50. Many places ask $50-60 per bag.

djohns28
05-18-2020, 10:59 AM
As a matter of dumb luck, the shipper is close to a facility that I have trucks through fairly frequently. The shipper has agreed to meet a driver and have the driver bring it back. Gonna take a little longer to coordinate that way but at the end of the day will be more secure, better cared for, easier on the shipper, and cheaper. I'm patient lol..

Traffer
05-18-2020, 11:27 AM
I learned about smaller carriers when ordering car parts that were heavy. A few years ago I bought some stuff that was in the 100 lb category that shipped for about $18 so I kept using them for the heavy stuff....WAAAAAY cheaper than the big outfits.
However this company only serviced a small batch of states in the middle of the country...Haven't checked them recently as to what area they service now ...they were expanding their service... If this will go to your area ...check them out.
You won't be disappointed:
http://speedeedelivery.com/

Dusty Bannister
05-18-2020, 11:35 AM
I have shipped a lot of boxes that have extra fibered tape when mailing lead or reloadable brass. Never a negative comment because I usually stop at 50-55 pounds. I use the same post office so there is less chance for misunderstanding. The only comments I get are ones commenting that the box is prepared to arrive intact no matter what. And when a 75 year old man puts the 50 pound box on the scale, there is not a lot of whining by the clerk. I feel sorry for those that have less than cooperative mail clerks. Maybe I am just lucky.

lightman
05-18-2020, 01:44 PM
I've never been turned down for having too much tape.

Traffer
05-18-2020, 03:10 PM
I have shipped a lot of boxes that have extra fibered tape when mailing lead or reloadable brass. Never a negative comment because I usually stop at 50-55 pounds. I use the same post office so there is less chance for misunderstanding. The only comments I get are ones commenting that the box is prepared to arrive intact no matter what. And when a 75 year old man puts the 50 pound box on the scale, there is not a lot of whining by the clerk. I feel sorry for those that have less than cooperative mail clerks. Maybe I am just lucky.

The only thing I am going to say is "you obviously don't live in a city".

RogerDat
05-18-2020, 04:11 PM
If they can pack the empty space with newspaper or better yet plastic shopping bags so the shot bags can't just flop around and bust through the box. Or with a soft bag they might be more likely to have the bag burst than the contents punching through the box they way ingots will. Just stuff a few wadded bags or wadded news sheets under the 2 shot bags, more packed on top. Dampens the bags ability to jump around.

Drop ship to a residential can sometimes be crazy expensive. Price might well be better to do a customer pick up at the local shipping warehouse if you go the commercial carrier route. With those you would probably need a pallet or crate I would think.

There is a sticky in swapping and selling on taping but seams with fiberglass tape. Sides and top with clear tape. Might arrive closer to round box than square but it will still be intact.

Dusty Bannister
05-18-2020, 04:14 PM
Ah but I do, I just try to get to know the folks on a personal basis and things generally go very smoothly. They know what is going and they are well warned if the box is heavy. A little consideration seems to go a long way. And when I got back from errands this afternoon a small box was placed between the storm door and the front door, out of the weather. May not work for every one, but seems to work very well for me.

Traffer
05-18-2020, 04:33 PM
Ah but I do, I just try to get to know the folks on a personal basis and things generally go very smoothly. They know what is going and they are well warned if the box is heavy. A little consideration seems to go a long way. And when I got back from errands this afternoon a small box was placed between the storm door and the front door, out of the weather. May not work for every one, but seems to work very well for me.

Hear Hear...You should teach the young folks...I do the same thing but have moved a bit in the past 20 years and don't often have the opportunity to get to know folks in big places.

Mr_Sheesh
05-19-2020, 11:53 AM
Glad you're covered. I've shipped some heavy stuff (3 55 gallon drums full of horribly heavy ore, on a pallet, Gordon Trucking happily hauled that for us.) And some less heavy (Greyhound was, then at least, hauling freight in their luggage areas under their buses.)

Geezer in NH
05-20-2020, 06:24 PM
The only thing I am going to say is "you obviously don't live in a city".Then make a formal complaint to the post master general. All post offices have the same rules even the not us liberal city ones.

Take that from them is on you.

Post masters and employees do not like remedial training for delaying commerce and the post. They will get retrained then it becomes a post inspectors domain when they continue. That means firing and loss of benefits and PENSION.

Traffer
05-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Then make a formal complaint to the post master general. All post offices have the same rules even the not us liberal city ones.

Take that from them is on you.

Post masters and employees do not like remedial training for delaying commerce and the post. They will get retrained then it becomes a post inspectors domain when they continue. That means firing and loss of benefits and PENSION.

This is good to know and taken into consideration...wish I had known this many years ago.

alamogunr
05-20-2020, 07:19 PM
A couple of years ago or so, I sold some solder rolls that I was never going to use. Used a Medium Flat Rate box. Used 1/8'' plyboard top and bottom and extra cardboard on each side. Taped it with the filament tape in all directions. I weighed it before I took it to the post office. Came in at just over 69 lbs. I informed the clerk what I had and she directed me to the back dock and had a hand truck waiting. I loaded it on the truck, paid the lady and was off.

Of course, I live in a small town. I've had a few problems, but very few.

44magLeo
05-20-2020, 07:53 PM
If I'm within a few hundred miles of such a deal I go fetch it myself.
My car gets good mileage and for trips of that length can be done cheaper than shipping.
In my car at the gas prices around me that trip would cost me about $35.
Go fetch it yourself.
Leo

JM7.7x58
05-25-2020, 06:47 PM

The employee was very polite. This was a small flat rate box with ten pounds of pewter in it. Not very heavy. I had wrapped clear packing tape around it twice. She informed me that it could only be taped on the seams and flaps. What I had done is “encased” the box with tape, by their definition.

Here is a link to an explanation on the USPS website. I disagree with their “tape” policy. However, the clerk did not lie as some have implied.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2016/pb22435/html/updt_002.htm

JM

Traffer
05-25-2020, 07:44 PM
The employee was very polite. This was a small flat rate box with ten pounds of pewter in it. Not very heavy. I had wrapped clear packing tape around it twice. She informed me that it could only be taped on the seams and flaps. What I had done is “encased” the box with tape, by their definition.

Here is a link to an explanation on the USPS website. I disagree with their “tape” policy. However, the clerk did not lie as some have implied.

JM
Thanks for posting that link...Now we know!

Cosmic_Charlie
05-26-2020, 04:37 AM
I'm getting 60# of ww ingots delivered in a flat rate box. The guy uses expanding foam in the box to cushion the ingots which are wrapped in plastic.

Petrol & Powder
05-26-2020, 08:18 AM
As a matter of dumb luck, the shipper is close to a facility that I have trucks through fairly frequently. The shipper has agreed to meet a driver and have the driver bring it back. Gonna take a little longer to coordinate that way but at the end of the day will be more secure, better cared for, easier on the shipper, and cheaper. I'm patient lol..
/\That's a BIG WIN ! /\

On another note, I don't know the rules and weight limits but someone mentioned Greyhound as a shipping method. There was a time when Greyhound was a great secret in the shipping world. They were not point to point, someone had to go to the bus station on both ends of the journey, but they were often the least expensive method.

kevin c
05-26-2020, 01:56 PM

JM
Be that as it may, I've shipped 60+# of lead in MFRB's many times that were always encased in clear tape (with an internal plywood box providing the main support and protection) with the only complaint from the postal worker being "I'm not lifting that with my bad back!" (She had another worker take them).

I note that the language of that USPS document says "should not", not "must not" or "can not", so maybe it depends on how picky the local PO staff is feeling that day.

And I second the idea of double bagging, having received boxes of bullets and brass that got holed in transit with loss of contents the end result. I've seen bags of shot with the fabric so old and rotted that they'd split open just on being picked up, let alone taking the beating they'd get in transit.