PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite meat seasoning?

Idaho45guy
05-16-2020, 09:46 PM
When I lived in Iowa, I fell in love with steak and ribs. Unbelievably good beef and pork out there. A friend of a friend started his own company making seasonings that are incredibly good.

His company is called Corky's Cookout. Never met the owner, but I have used his seasoning since 2005.

I've used Famous Dave's seasoning, and Lowry's, and other popular seasonings I've found in the store, and nothing is as good as Corky's. Just got in another couple of year's worth plus a jar of glaze they gave me for free. Order was $28 delivered. Totally worth it!

What's your favorite seasoning?

Winger Ed.
05-16-2020, 09:54 PM
Except the 'el cheapos' that seem to be about 90% salt, I haven't really found any I didn't like.

Hogtamer
05-16-2020, 10:00 PM
I've used this as an all purpose seasoning on fish, game and all things that need a little spicing up. It's hot enough for my tastes without the red pepper flakes. I make it x10 and always keep it handy.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/149221/cajun-spice-mix/

SSGOldfart
05-16-2020, 10:01 PM
Humm I really like salt and black pepper myself for most meats

sparkyv
05-16-2020, 10:23 PM
Ditto. Maybe a little garlic, too.

Biggin
05-16-2020, 11:05 PM

Anything grilled,baked or fried that's all I do. If I'm gonna smoke it that's a whole other deal.

Idaho45guy
05-16-2020, 11:06 PM
You guys don't know what you're missing. I used nothing but salt and pepper for years, and lots of steak sauce. Then I discovered actual good beef, and use a little seasoning and butter, and no sauce.

Ribs without seasoning or barbecue sauce is illegal in most states.

SSGOldfart
05-16-2020, 11:11 PM
My wife only uses a little home made butter on a very rare steak??
Me I want my meat cooked with salt and pepper.

Misery-Whip
05-16-2020, 11:12 PM
Grass fed beef, garlic salt, fresh ground back pepper. When served some juicy jalapeno salsa for steak sauce.

poppy42
05-17-2020, 12:27 AM
One word, Beacon! I even put Beacon on my beacon:kidding:

samari46
05-17-2020, 12:31 AM
Lea & Perrin ain't gonna spell it but great on just about all meats. Frank

trails4u
05-17-2020, 12:41 AM
garlic powder, seasoned salt and lemon pepper in near equal amounts...… works on everything. I do tweak it with the wife's homegrown herbs depending on the type of meat.

daengmei
05-17-2020, 12:42 AM
My wife only uses a little home made butter on a very rare steak??
Me I want my meat cooked with salt and pepper.

Just the opposite for me, I want only a little butter and water, cooked? till just barely cooked and still bleeding. She wants meats cooked till you don't have enough teeth.

If the steak is done right, I don't need anything to season.

2A-Jay
05-17-2020, 12:55 AM
Most meat except chicken and Fish I use Slap Ya Mama either Yellow Label (milder) or Red Label (scorch yer tongue ) Also use it on other foods as well Like any kind of eggs, in Spaghetti etc...

abunaitoo
05-17-2020, 02:03 AM
Hawaiian salt and pepper.
None better.

dale2242
05-17-2020, 05:15 AM
When I bought my Pit Boss pellet grill I looked up their recipes and "had" to but a bunch of their rubs.
With the other seasonings I already had, I am seasoning poor at this point.
I have yet to try some of them.
Experimenting with flavors is fun.
Hopefully in time I will settle on just a few favorites...dale

dangitgriff
05-17-2020, 06:23 AM
We used to cut deer hams into 1” cubes and flour and fry them until done, then sprinkle some garlic salt and pepper on them as soon they were taken out of the pan and drained on paper towels. Works on fried pork chunks and catfish nuggets, too.
Salt and pepper only for grilled beef steaks or pork chops. I prefer a dry rub for roasts and smoked pork butts, I tried Traeger’s rub and it was very good. I make my own rub out of whatever spices start collecting in and crowding the kitchen cabinets.

jonp
05-17-2020, 06:41 AM
Old Bay Seasoning

Alferd Packer
05-17-2020, 07:11 AM
Cavenders is pretty good on pork chops.

farmerjim
05-17-2020, 07:27 AM
Magic swamp dust.

https://shop.creativecajuncooking.com/magic-swamp-dust/

wildwilly501
05-17-2020, 07:31 AM
PS seasonings Multi-Tool They sent a free sample along with a order.Been buying a bottle when I order stuff it pretty good .Tried a couple of there others didn't like as much.

MrWolf
05-17-2020, 09:03 AM
When I lived in Iowa, I fell in love with steak and ribs. Unbelievably good beef and pork out there. A friend of a friend started his own company making seasonings that are incredibly good.

His company is called Corky's Cookout. Never met the owner, but I have used his seasoning since 2005.

I've used Famous Dave's seasoning, and Lowry's, and other popular seasonings I've found in the store, and nothing is as good as Corky's. Just got in another couple of year's worth plus a jar of glaze they gave me for free. Order was $28 delivered. Totally worth it!

How much salt is in it? Can't have much salt without triggering headaches then migraines which is why I stay away from most pre packaged stuff.

10x
05-17-2020, 09:49 AM
Cavenders is pretty good on pork chops.

Goes well on chicken, pork, lamb, and in small amounts mixed in with hamburger.

Texas by God
05-17-2020, 10:12 AM
Goes well on chicken, pork, lamb, and in small amounts mixed in with hamburger.+1 and try it on pigs in a blanket( before baking)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10x
05-17-2020, 10:34 AM
+1 and try it on pigs in a blanket( before baking)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Whole pig in a bbq pit?
Or a sausage wrapped in dough?

D-gunner
05-17-2020, 10:46 AM
We have used this family operation seasoning for years. It's just the best.
Website https://itsallgoodseasoning.com/

gwpercle
05-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Magic swamp dust.

https://shop.creativecajuncooking.com/magic-swamp-dust/

Hard to beat Magic Swamp Dust ... Just sprinkle the Magic around !

Riverpigusmc
05-17-2020, 11:28 AM
for reverse seared thick steaks-Montreal steak seasoning
for spatchcocked smoked chicken-Weber kickin' chicken'
for my brisket, pot roast and other smoked meat- homemade rub of sugar, salt, red pepper,paprika and black pepper

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-17-2020, 01:07 PM
I change it up all the time...mixing my own for each cooking session.
But when I'm lazy, I just use coarse fresh ground black pepper and garlic salt.

I recently found a "shaker" of Sriracha Salt at the dollar store...it's mostly salt, the Sriracha flavor is very faint...but I like it on eggs.

MT Gianni
05-17-2020, 03:22 PM
I will use a mix of Johnny's Seasoning salt, garlic powder and lemon pepper. I make sure the lemon pepper has no salt. My wife likes Montreal Steak seasoning. I use Costco red Garlic Pepper rub for smoked stuff and pork.
We also like homemade Jalapeno jelly for a sweet hot kick.

MaryB
05-17-2020, 06:03 PM
I like a variety...

Ribs and pork butt on the smoker get Smokin' Guns Mild(don't let the name fool you, has heat), baked/smoked chicken gets it too.

Brisket or chuck roast on the smoker gets my homemade beef rub, salt, onion powder, garlic powder in equal amounts, black pepper, ground celery seed, ground bay, and a touch of ground dill weed. This is also good on a steak or burger.

Burgers/steaks sometimes just S&P, sometimes my house seasoning(salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper), sometimes Lawry's, sometimes Montreal Steak seasoning...

Smoked whole chicken sometimes gets injected with dry ranch dressing mix, melted butter, Franks Hot sauce then the same mix is rubbed on the skin...

rockrat
05-17-2020, 07:33 PM
Usually garlic and herb seasoning, but burgers take a seasoning just for burgers. I have a lot of different seasonings I use, but I figure seasonings are just a start in the process.

I like my steaks/burgers well done, no pink. At one time at Outback steakhouse, I had to send my steak back 4 times to get it cooked like I like. Everyone else was done before I got my steak, so they got to watch me eat.

375supermag
05-17-2020, 08:26 PM
Hi...
I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.
Whatever you guys use...use McCormick products. One of my pensions comes from them...help a brother out, guys.

Brokenbear
05-17-2020, 10:02 PM
Hi...
Whatever you guys use...use McCormick products. One of my pensions comes from them...help a brother out, guys.

I also use the McCromick Montreal rub on all grilled ground beef as well as on grilled steaks as well as their Chicken rub ..awesome ..simply awesome

Smoked meat in my Traeger pellet grill is whole different deal ..pork anyway you go ..ribs, chops,loins, Boston butts oh goodness ....get Strawberry's BBQ Rub 1/4 cup,Splenda Brown sugar1 cup,1/4 T spoon Lowery salt,1/8 T spoon garlic powder ..dry mix of course ..rub down meat 90 min BEFORE cooking allowing the meat to get close to room temperature by not re-refrigerating ..I cook at 210+/- 10 for fall apart ribs etc.

Happy cooking boys
Bear

Lloyd Smale
05-18-2020, 06:15 AM
McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning sprinkled on the day before and some garlic powder mixed in melted butter

tdoor4570
05-18-2020, 09:16 AM
Rockrat have to agree on Outback we quite going there , never could get meat done the way I like it (dead) finally told them that If I have to send it back I'm not paying for it . good meat dosen't need seasoning should stand on its own. If you have to put a bunch of stuff on it its not very good meat.

jdfoxinc
05-18-2020, 02:36 PM
Frag Out brand. Veteran developed, owned, and run.

GregLaROCHE
05-18-2020, 03:24 PM
I couldn’t read this thread. My stomach growled and it made me too hungry !

RU shooter
05-18-2020, 07:50 PM
I mix up my own in big batches whenever the jars of spices go on sale there's quite a few different spices and herbs I like and use . Salt, black pepper, garlic ,paprika, Cajun mix, ect ect ect . Pretty much use it on any meat fowl or fish , I just call it my magic dust .

Silvercreek Farmer
05-18-2020, 10:30 PM
Jane's Mixed Up Crazy Salt. Kind of like lemon pepper, but better. Excellent on fish, pork, chicken, lamb and venison. Probably beef too, but we don't eat much beef.

dangitgriff
05-23-2020, 09:16 AM
Jane’s was a household staple for my mother.

rbuck351
05-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Montreal steak seasoning on most meat. If it needs bbq sauce then Kenai BBQ sauce applied after cooking. It can turn a poor piece of meat into a delight.

mtnman31
05-23-2020, 03:30 PM
I've been using Alpine Touch since I was a kid. It is more of an all-purpose seasoning. I put it on everything; meat, popcorn, potatoes, garlic toast, veggies, anything that I'd normally put salt on. They have a Hickory Smoke seasoning that I use when I make jerky - it's awesome. They've got a "light" version of their Alpine Touch for those watching their salt intake. We usually do the light version because it contains no MSG which my wife is sensitive to. They are a small, family run business and mostly only distributed to stores locally. In the past few years they've added some additional flavors and been trying to expand their market. Since I no longer live close, we either mail order it or have relatives pick us up some.

https://www.alpinetouch.com/

David2011
05-23-2020, 04:51 PM
For grilled beef I like McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning applied to damp meat and allowed to rest for 20-30 minutes before cooking. They have a good Montreal chicken seasoning as well. Steak cooks best if allowed to reach room temperature before putting it on the grill.

A server in a nice restaurant asked me if I wanted steak sauce with my meal. It wasn’t a cheap steak. I told her it better not need steak sauce. She understood and laughed. Fortunately, I was not disappointed.

Finster101
05-25-2020, 07:14 AM
[QUOTE=375supermag;4905170]Hi...
Whatever you guys use...use McCormick products. One of my pensions comes from them...help a brother out, guys.[/QUOTE

McCormick's "Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt" is excellent on chicken or pork. I have not tried it on beef as I like the basic salt and pepper on it. I have tried mixing a little cumin in my kosher salt before sprinkling it over my steaks and that is tasty as well. I have two of them in the fridge on a rack for later today. If you haven't tried putting your steak in a pan on a rack uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before grilling your missing out on getting a really nice crust on the outside. One of the best tricks I've found.

Drm50
05-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Seasoning is to make low grade meat eatable. Really good meat is ruined with all the stuff people put on it. You are just using the meat as a sponge for spices. Bar BQ is a different story as well as smoking. Those are processes that require sauces and such. Same thing with cured meats like ham and sausages. I’ll go with salt and pepper myself.

Finster101
05-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Seasoning is to make low grade meat eatable. Really good meat is ruined with all the stuff people put on it. You are just using the meat as a sponge for spices. Bar BQ is a different story as well as smoking. Those are processes that require sauces and such. Same thing with cured meats like ham and sausages. I’ll go with salt and pepper myself.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Sometimes I like the basic salt and pepper other times I'm doing a meal that a little different flavor lends itself well to. It's all a matter of preference.

wnc435
05-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Salt and pepper and a Charcoal grill are my favorite seasoning

MrWolf
05-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Garlic and butter are my main seasonings. Try to keep it simple.

Idaho45guy
05-26-2020, 04:07 AM
Garlic and butter are my main seasonings. Try to keep it simple.

For a proper Iowa ribeye, rubbed with butter and some garlic salt, it is heaven!

Out here in the West, the beef needs a little more help.

gkainz
05-26-2020, 09:15 AM
for smoking ribs, I loved the Costco Sweet Mesquite ... no longer available ... wish they would carry it again, or I could find a similar substitute.

hithard
05-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Years ago a girl from Kellog Idaho introduced me to Alpine. She's gone but I will always keep the Alpine.

Seriously y'all need to try this stuff on a grilled rib eye or the like.

Idaho45guy
05-28-2020, 10:30 PM
Years ago a girl from Kellog Idaho introduced me to Alpine. She's gone but I will always keep the Alpine.

Seriously y'all need to try this stuff on a grilled rib eye or the like.

Went to their website and the nearest place that sells it is 50 miles away, and in the same town as the only place that sells .40 S&W for 50 miles. I'll add it to my shopping list for my next trip down there, which should be next week.

Thanks for the suggestion!

FLINTNFIRE
05-28-2020, 11:38 PM
Johnnys seasoning salt pepper and salt and garlic all you ever need , no iwoa steak is any better then any other states steak raised right , butchered right and prepared right , a little olive oil and sprinkle the spices of your choice , cook how you like , I prefer a fire and a stick , eat while hot .

Idaho45guy
05-29-2020, 12:48 AM
Johnnys seasoning salt pepper and salt and garlic all you ever need , no iwoa steak is any better then any other states steak raised right , butchered right and prepared right , a little olive oil and sprinkle the spices of your choice , cook how you like , I prefer a fire and a stick , eat while hot .

You really like to argue everything, don't you?

There is a huge difference in the taste of beef depending on where they are raised and what they ate. Most beef in the west is free range beef eating crappy weeds and other vegetation. Such beef tastes crappy and is tougher.

Most beef in Iowa is raised on a corn-based diet. Such beef tastes better.

So saying that Iowa beef tastes better than Washington beef is a generally true statement. Geez, stop arguing everything.

FLINTNFIRE
05-29-2020, 09:44 AM
You really like to argue everything, don't you?

There is a huge difference in the taste of beef depending on where they are raised and what they ate. Most beef in the west is free range beef eating crappy weeds and other vegetation. Such beef tastes crappy and is tougher.

Most beef in Iowa is raised on a corn-based diet. Such beef tastes better.

So saying that Iowa beef tastes better than Washington beef is a generally true statement. Geez, stop arguing everything.

No I stated what is true , you have a attitude and a arrogance , and you want to misquote everything , If you want to post in a forum and make a statement , others have their own opinions and they are just as important .

And the beef on the west side is not free roaming dry land cattle , it is a lot greener over here , and farmers feed them silage and hay also .

By the way Iowa is not the only state feeds corn , and beef that are gaining weight and eating good are more tender then a beef already losing weight .

So get your chip off your shoulder read the post and or maybe post less , or you could start your own site all about you.

Shawlerbrook
05-29-2020, 09:45 AM
Can’t beat plain old garlic powder, but ai like Tony Chachere Creole seasoning

Chihuahua Floyd
05-31-2020, 08:22 PM
Cooked 4 Boston butts yesterday for a wedding reception. Nothing but salt and pepper. 12 hours on low heat.
Nothing better.
CF

Frosty Boolit
05-31-2020, 09:55 PM
I admit that I didn't read every post but I use the kiss method with a twist. Salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and brown sugar. In a ratio of 20/15/20/10/35 respectively.

Triggerfinger
10-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Idaho45guy I want to thank you for turning me on to Corky's Seasoning. I bought some on a whim after you posted a great review about it and I'm on working on my second 28 oz jar of it. Used to like steak, but now I love steak. Same with hamburgers! This seasoning is absolutely the best!

poppy42
10-26-2020, 08:17 PM
Well it really depends on to meat. I generally make all my own rubs and alter the recipe according to whatever really. Sometimes a little hotter sometimes a little smoky or sometimes a little more pepper. But they generally always start out with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or smoked paprika, salt, pepper. Followed up by whatever I’m in the mood for.

Iowa Fox
10-27-2020, 12:33 AM
For a proper Iowa ribeye, rubbed with butter and some garlic salt, it is heaven!

Out here in the West, the beef needs a little more help.

You're really making me hungry. All the good cook your own steak joints are closed here right now in this part of Iowa. There was another good one just across the river in Rock Island, the Oaks supper club. We're ready for the virus to be over.

smithnframe
10-27-2020, 06:03 AM
I always season my steaks with some 4F black powder before grilling!

BrutalAB
10-29-2020, 02:42 PM
Allegro marinade. Something quite similar if you cant find allegro is dales marinade.

Idaho45guy
10-29-2020, 02:51 PM
You're really making me hungry. All the good cook your own steak joints are closed here right now in this part of Iowa. There was another good one just across the river in Rock Island, the Oaks supper club. We're ready for the virus to be over.

Rube's Steakhouse in Montour, IA is excellent!

snowwolfe
10-30-2020, 08:12 AM
Steaks - Montreal steak seasoning
BBQ pork or beef - Memphis Dust

dangitgriff
10-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Everglades Cactus Dust is good stuff.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201030/fb03b2a1002d52025c082199ea285300.jpg

Petrol & Powder
10-30-2020, 01:18 PM
Your favorite meat seasoning?

Smoke? ???

Hossfly
10-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Lowerys seasoning salt.

dangitgriff
10-30-2020, 03:54 PM
Your favorite meat seasoning?

Smoke? ???

Amen.

FLINTNFIRE
10-30-2020, 06:14 PM
Favorite is over a fire , natural wood of whatever is burnable , start fire get a bed of coals , sprinkle on some salt , pepper , johnnys seasoning or anything similar hold above coals and flames watch it sizzle and drip fat , gas bbq and the like is a poor substitute for a camp fire , stuck on a stick and eat as you feel like , burn as you wish , well done or raw or anywhere in between , all beef is good if butchered at the right time and the right way , keep it clean , no need to age (aka rot) , corn fed grass fed or free range if it is gaining weight its tender if it is losing weight it is getting tough .