PDA

View Full Version : Furlough

Shiloh
05-16-2020, 09:17 PM
I'm furloughed. Three weeks now. Deck sealed, wood pile squared away, the rest of the wood split and stacked,
a lot of lingering stuff we don't need trashed.

4 days at the range a week for sure. Range cleanup day today, no shooting, so 5 days this week.
I'm shooting excess ammo, some of it loaded more than 20 years ago. I've got plenty of new Chronograph data,
sights adjusted, brass sorted, old brass scrapped.

Boolits sized and lubed, boolits I won't use in the re-melt pile. Small batch's of remnant powder loaded up, burned on the curb, or poured on the lawn as fertilizer. General clean up of reloading bench.

I still hope next week is the last furlough week.

Shiloh

fredj338
05-16-2020, 10:41 PM
Well done

Super Sneaky Steve
05-30-2020, 09:53 AM
I hope the unemployment checks keep coming. Both my wife and I are in healthcare and everyone is getting cut. She's out of work and they are going to let go of 1400 people at my place of employment in the next few months.

Furloughs will turn into firings. Things are not getting better. 30 million out of work means little chance of getting a job.

Stock up on ammo before the whole US starts to look like Minneapolis.

onelight
05-30-2020, 10:04 AM
I hope the unemployment checks keep coming. Both my wife and I are in healthcare and everyone is getting cut. She's out of work and they are going to let go of 1400 people at my place of employment in the next few months.

Furloughs will turn into firings. Things are not getting better. 30 million out of work means little chance of getting a job.

Stock up on ammo before the whole US starts to look like Minneapolis.
Man that has got to be tough.
Hang in there people are starting to go back to work here , hopefully your jobs will open back up soon.

TNsailorman
05-30-2020, 10:09 AM
I am starting a refinish job on a Remington 721 stock. Finish was beginning to flake off in spots. One thing I found out, this rifle was made in 1957 and it has he hardest finish I have ever encountered and I have been re-finishing stocks for over 60 years(off and on). I normally don't sand on a stock but 0000 steel wool takes forever to cut through the finish. I finally went to hand sanding with 120 sandpaper and it is still slow going. I don't use a sander or even a block of wood as I don't want to cut into the wood, just remove the finish. Right now I am at a standstill as I am waiting on a shipment of Lin Speed from Brownells and this virus thing has slowed down shipments. The finish has finally been removed and the stain has been applied and dried. And the stain has been rubbed out good with a course rag. It will be next week some time before the Lin Speed gets here. Cabin fever is hard to beat though, and I think it is more of a thought that I shouldn't be out running around in public more than being cooped up that is causing the let down feeling. james

blackthorn
05-30-2020, 01:07 PM
I have removed stubborn finishes using a very sharp knife as a scraper or a piece of broken glass.

Shiloh
05-30-2020, 10:16 PM
Is it one of the early epoxy/polymer finishes on the 721??
Is there any solvent for it??

I ask because there wa a similar thread years back. The finish had to be meticulously scraped off.

Shiloh

Hanzy4200
05-30-2020, 11:56 PM
I was off for almost 7 weeks. Loved every minute of it. Bought 4 guns and geared up and loaded 2 new calibers. 8MM Nambu was a ordeal. 5 weeks and $480 later, I loaded my first rounds last night. They better shoot damn good.

M-Tecs
05-31-2020, 01:58 AM
Is it one of the early epoxy/polymer finishes on the 721??
Is there any solvent for it??

I ask because there wa a similar thread years back. The finish had to be meticulously scraped off.

Shiloh

Hard to get but if you can get real MEK soaking the stock in MEK will remove any finish.

eggwelder
05-31-2020, 11:24 AM
Being military i have not been affected financially, but have not missed being at work at all. I`m not scheduled to be back to work until the end of June, but having a taste of “retirement”, after 33 years i`m not sure how much longer i`ll be at it. I do feel for everyone that is affected by job loss among other difficulties this has brought on, I have several family members that we are helping out during this time.

I have been casting and loading up several different .303 Brit loads, including paper patch, powder coated and black powder loads. The 303 was originally a black powder loaded cartridge, though used in an entirely different firearm. Have not tested any of these, been concentrating on muzzleloaders