PDA

View Full Version : Reloading - Case Chamfer tool

Shotgun12
05-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Howdy all,
Would anyone know where I might find a (large) case mouth chamfering tool that would work better
on larger cases like a .45.
The one I have works, but it's kinda small for doing the OD's of large caliber case mouths.
Kind of a pain ... and really slows down the process.

Wheelguns 1961
05-16-2020, 02:31 PM
I use the lyman hand tools, and am pretty happy with them. In my opinion, they are a little expensive, but seem to last a long time.

M-Tecs
05-16-2020, 02:32 PM
If you are looking for a hand tools using the 50 BMG stuff might be an option.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!c=192

John Boy
05-16-2020, 03:37 PM
Take your pick ,,, https://www.midwayusa.com/chamfer-and-deburring-tools/br?cid=8936

Kraschenbirn
05-16-2020, 05:48 PM
Lyman Case Prep Multi-Tool...also comes with tips to clean and remove crimp from primer pockets.

Bill

Randy Bohannon
05-17-2020, 08:23 AM
The RCBS VLD chamfer tool does a very nice job of chamfering case mouths and a few light spins does it with aplomb .

salpal48
05-17-2020, 08:40 AM
CH4D up to 37 mm

onelight
05-17-2020, 10:39 AM
You guys got me looking at the Lyman tool , I have used the little Lee tool for years I like having inside and outside cutters on the same tool to save steps I have used the little Lee tool for decades but my old hands are asking me to find something else. I need to find me a Lyman.

sigep1764
05-17-2020, 11:37 AM
I have the Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool and enjoy it. I actually take the bits and chuck them in my cordless drill when I am mass prepping rifle brass.

Shotgun12
05-17-2020, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys.
Found what I need.

robg
05-27-2020, 01:31 PM
got a wilson chamfer tool but i find the little lee tool works better for the 45-70 .

Bent Ramrod
06-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Ditto on the little Lee for big cases. It seems to center better on the outside deburring step than the RCBS type.

EDG
06-10-2020, 07:13 PM
I have been chamfering 45-70 since 1972 with a Forster chamfering tool.

Wolverine19D
06-21-2020, 12:38 PM
The Lee works well for me on the larger cases like this as others have mentioned. But as far as the tool handle itself the Lyman tool you pick up for about $25 that is orange in color and includes a bunch of different heads that go on opposite ends of the tool works VERY well for a hand held tool and is my top pick if you don't have a case prep station. I eventually paid the price for a used RCBS Case prep station and in the end it was well worth the $85-90 I paid for it.

But the Lyman tool with the different ends included is still well worth the $25 just for the pieces it comes with. But none of the tools work well for the inside of the 45 cases since it has the VLD head. The cheap Lee one is what I use for that until I find something better.

John Boy
06-21-2020, 02:28 PM
Chamfering FYI ... chamfer only new cases and do not cut the rims like a razor. Other than new, take a fish hook and pull the point up on the inside of the case. If not smooth, lightly re-chamfer to remove the burr

megasupermagnum
06-29-2020, 08:33 PM
don't get the RCBS case prep center. The steel chamfer tool is... Well it's beyond useless. You couldn't cut skin on it. I spent the big money for the carbide version, something like $50 for just the one bit. The carbide chamfer tool is best described as butter knife sharp. Useless junk. I've got an old hand camfer/debur combo tool that must be 40 years old that will cut brass like it's not there.

I'm not sure it helps this thread. After everything I've tried, nothing has beat that hand tool for 45 acp. I even made an adapter to put it in a drill press.

EDG
06-30-2020, 05:16 PM
I once bought a lot of new brass for a .25-06 and it was really beat up at the case mouths. There was a rim of burrs both inside and out.

I expanded the cases at the neck to push all the burr material toward the outside of the neck.
Then I used my neck turning tools to turn all that burr material off the cases. This left the case mouths smooth enough to easily deburr. Otherwise the 3 prongs of my deburr tool would have just jumped around on the huge burrs.

That little exercise made me prefer once fired brass that originates at indoor ranges. Factory brass from loaded ammo is processed enough to get rid of most of the burrs and firing the rounds also iron some of them out. Back in the golden age of buying brass about 20 to 30 years ago once fired brass was not in such demand and was really cheap compared to new brass of then and today.

Jackpine
08-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Here is solution for 45-70 through 10 gauge brass shells. Fairly thin blades, so must be a little careful. Not sure where I got mine years ago, but floats back and forth between plumbing supplies tool box and loading bench. Here is one on the interweb.

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Deburring-Manual-Inner-Plumbing/dp/B07X4XVYVJ

gwpercle
08-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Take your pick ,,, https://www.midwayusa.com/chamfer-and-deburring-tools/br?cid=8936

I've been using the RCBS , L.E. Wilson and Hornady Deluxe ( see midway Link) style inside/outside type combo tools for 50+ years now ...do fine on everything up to 45 cal.
How big do you need ?
Gary

beagle
08-05-2020, 11:58 PM
There was a poster on here for a while that was making an OS tool for a while. He was in Canada and sent me one and it's done well for me over the years as I was doing a lot of .45/70, .458 Win Mag and .458X2" work at the time. Handy as all get out. Might post in the Swappin' section. Forget who he was now./beagle

08-07-2020, 04:44 PM
I may be a little late to the party, as the OP said he's found something to use. I frequently use a counter sink bit (wood working section of the hardware store) fixed to a handle. Works well.

brnomauser
10-08-2020, 02:54 PM
I may be a little late to the party, as the OP said he's found something to use. I frequently use a counter sink bit (wood working section of the hardware store) fixed to a handle. Works well.
Me too - i sharpened a fairly cheap (soft) one with a chainsaw raker file and it cuts beautifully. Although I don’t use a handle - can turn it faster just holding the shank

GregLaROCHE
10-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Now that I use NOE case expanders, I don’t usually chamfer inside and minimum on the outside. Only if I have had to reduce case length. I feel my brass lasts longer that way.

brnomauser
10-08-2020, 09:05 PM
I only chamfer after trimming, do others do it more often?

robg
10-09-2020, 08:37 AM
I only chamfer after trimming, do others do it more often?

same here just to get rid of any burrs