PDA

View Full Version : RCBS carbide dies in a Lyman EZY-Loader

Harry
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
I see that Midway has a 3 piece set of RCBS 38 - 357 mag. carbide dies for $34.99 not including shell holders. My question; will my 38-357 Lyman EZY-Loader shell holders work with these new dies? I would think they would, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Harry

Morgan Astorbilt
11-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes Harry, Snap in shell holders are pretty standard. The only problem I've had, was using a Lyman shell holder in an RCBS Hand priming tool, the one with the primer tray. The RCBS shell holders are chamfered on the bottom, and the Lyman are not, keeping them from slipping onto the tool far enough to assemble it.. A hit with a carbide chamfering tool takes care of this.
Morgan

hornsurgeon
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM
i just sold and ezy-loader. this one takes a propriatary shellholder, not the standard lyman/rcbs/lee.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Harry, Sorry, I was confusing it with their Acculine bench/hand press, and had the question bass ackwards. I remember the press now. The EZ loader takes 7/8-14 dies, so they should work. That's the press with two shell holders and the primer feed a slide coming down from the right, isn't it? The shell holders are held in with set screws?
Morgan

Harry
11-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, Morgan. That is the one. I just wanted to make sure there would be no problem with alignment, which, logically there should not.
Is the Midway price a good one for these dies? Midway stated that the shell holders were not included. Since I already have the shell holders for the Lyman, I figured I was all set. Just wanted to make sure.

Pressman
11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Loading on an Ezy-Loader. The picture is the Ezy Loader, all aluminum, no lock ring relief. The press is based on the early Lyman Armory tool, later revamped and named the Tru-Line.

Reading this thread got me to thinking about how to use this press. It is different for sure. There are three variations, all cast iron, all aluminum and an aluminum version with relief cuts for the die lock rings at the front die stations.
The center, rear die is the sizing die location as this is the strongest part of the press. Putting the sizing die in one of the front holes runs the risk of breaking the press, especially if you have an aluminum model. RCBS lock rings will not clear the frame on the model without relief cuts so they would have to be replaced, or put on from the bottom.
None of the RCBS dies will fit the sizing die station, Lyman made a special sizing die just for this press as it must thread in from the bottom.
Might be time to think about upgrading to a newer press??
Ken