PDA

View Full Version : Defending the peach tree!

Winger Ed.
05-15-2020, 07:05 PM
We've got a big peach tree right off the patio deck.
I'm not a big peach eater, but its fun to grow and get a bushel or two off of it, that the neighbors really like.

As they get ripe, the birds come in.
They won't sit down and eat one, that'd be OK--- no, they take one bite out of a different one with each 'peck'.
I don't want to shoot 'em- they are jays, mocking birds, and song birds.
Last year, I'd shoo them off as best I could, and it helped. But I wasn't going to stay there and guard it.

This year, I put a couple pecked ones on the hand rail around the deck under the tree.
It's cool now. A bird will come up to one, eat its fill, and leave.
As long as there is one or two peaches on the hand rail-- they don't go after ones in the tree.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-15-2020, 07:15 PM
A bowl of vanilla ice cream served with slices of a fresh peach is very tasty.

seetrout
05-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Your lucky.
The squirrels find my peaches when they're about half developed every year.
Once they find them they clean off the tree in one day for the pits.

I, however, am not above shooting them. They get real smart real quick, but it doesn't stop em from gettin my peaches

Winger Ed.
05-15-2020, 07:21 PM
A bowl of vanilla ice cream served with slices of a fresh peach is very tasty.

Even though I've never bought a peach--- That is my favorite, sometimes even without chocolate syrup.
I'm good with having 4-5 peaches a year off our own tree, and that's how I eat 'em.

There's 3 squirrels around the yard. They'll take one, carry it off a ways and eat it.
So far, they only get one each a day. I'll let them have that, at least until they get big enough to eat themselves.

Bad Ass Wallace
05-15-2020, 08:22 PM
Same troubles here. I hang old CD's in the branches on a piece of fishing line, no more birds!

tankgunner59
05-15-2020, 08:44 PM
My wife and I love peaches and we would be eating them like crazy. I also love tomato's, they're another of my favorites. Every year I grow from three to six tomato plants in our small garden. A few years ago we had a problem with whistle pigs, or groundhogs. That year I trapped 4, and if you could see how small our back yard is you'd understand how bad that number is. After awhile I noticed half eaten large green tomato's laying in the yard, one each day. I figured once I got rid of all of the groundhogs it would stop. But with my fence around the garden I couldn't find where they were getting into the garden. Then one day, my sister, who is disabled due to extreme COPD, called me into the kitchen to catch my tomato thief. It was a SQUIRREL! I couldn't believe it. It would leave one half eaten in the yard every day, but it would take a fresh one the next day. After the summer was over it stopped, and it hasn't happened again.
I use the CD trick in the garden for birds but it didn't work on the squirrel.

Winger Ed.
05-15-2020, 09:11 PM
Every year I grow from three to six tomato plants in our small garden.

My Grandmother grew a fair amount of tomatoes.
She had fits with land turtles coming by and taking one bite out of each one they could reach, and it would ruin.

bayjoe
05-15-2020, 09:30 PM
We have mule deer and bears that take their fare share.

roadie
05-15-2020, 09:36 PM
Even though I've never bought a peach--- That is my favorite, sometimes even without chocolate syrup.
I'm good with having 4-5 peaches a year off our own tree, and that's how I eat 'em.

There's 3 squirrels around the yard. They'll take one, carry it off a ways and eat it.
So far, they only get one each a day. I'll let them have that, at least until they get big enough to eat themselves.

Squirrel might go really good with a peach sauce too.

rking22
05-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Peach fed squirrel sounds scrumptious! Be sure not to let them age too long, young and tender!!

popper
05-15-2020, 10:11 PM
When they were ripe ,only time for vacation. After that the bores got them. Great when they were ripe and mowing, grab a bite.

samari46
05-16-2020, 01:26 AM
Planted bush beans,carrots and radish last year. Critters love the young shoots when they come up out of the ground. Did the same this year so will have to make a portable screen enclosure that can be moved by one person to do any harvesting. When I had the 30" long x 10" wide garden never had that problem. Next year
will get one of the planter kits made from recycled plastics as my old one has rotted to the point that if it makes it through this year I'll be lucky. Frank

MrWolf
05-16-2020, 09:02 AM
I've got two apple trees not peaches. Some kind of flying insect would eat and ruin a bunch. I know it was a flying something because I went to pick one and something stung my finger. I haven't been in that kind of pain for a long time. Almost felt like it had spines on it.

Thumbcocker
05-16-2020, 09:09 AM
Yellow jackets

Rick Hodges
05-16-2020, 09:19 AM
Grandpa used to hang aluminum pie plates on his trees, scared the bejesus out of the birds. Worked well. I used to get the job of climbing to hang the ones near the top.

trapper9260
05-16-2020, 09:37 AM
I make jam and sauce out of the peaches. Beside eat them when they come in. Do not have problems with birds or wildlife. But have a problem with the peach bore .They do a job on the tree to the point they kill it and also other stone fruit .

Cast_outlaw
05-16-2020, 11:23 AM
My suggestion is to get some of the hottest hot sauce you can find mix with water and put into a squirt gun then shoot birds with that as they probably will not like that it will also work for other nuisance critters
This kind is what I mean
This stuff makes franks red hot sauce look like water

Winger Ed.
05-16-2020, 01:48 PM

Judging from the label:
That stuff looks so bad, the empty bottle may have to go to a hazardous waste site.:bigsmyl2:

Wayne Smith
05-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Just put plastic screening over the early blueberries and did the first picking. yes, we fight the birds, and I have basically given up the fig tree to the squirrels.

MaryB
05-16-2020, 04:56 PM
I have a bottle of this, 6 million scovilles...

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2018/09/1862/1048/hsgetbitten.jpg

dragon813gt
05-16-2020, 05:32 PM
My suggestion is to get some of the hottest hot sauce you can find mix with water and put into a squirt gun then shoot birds with that as they probably will not like that it will also work for other nuisance critters
This kind is what I mean

Ugh, Da Bomb. That’s a cheater hot sauce. But it destroys most people on “Hot Ones”. I tried it and instantly regretted.

If you want to watch celebrities lose it while eating spicy wings look up that show on YouTube. I find it highly entertaining. The interview is always good.

10x
05-19-2020, 07:32 AM
This kind is what I mean

The "Best Before" date is when it eats through the bottle?

Moleman-
05-19-2020, 08:19 AM
I hear tell if you make peach jam you can use the peach jam to make peach margaritas for the Mrs. We've got apple and cherry trees, but miss having a couple peach trees even though they're more work. We put the nets over the peach trees before they got too big at the last place. Then after that we were getting more peaches than we could use even after the critters took their share.

gwpercle
05-19-2020, 11:22 AM
Plant another Peach tree...one for the birds and one for you .

I had a fig tree ... now I have three fig trees , they get theirs and I get mine and everyone is happy.
Gary

Superomni
05-19-2020, 07:06 PM
I got a Hoont Motion activated water blaster to get rid of the pests coming up on my deck stealing my strawberries and other plants. Also bright and shiny reflective streamers work

10x
05-20-2020, 10:18 AM
Get an owl decoy and mount it in your peach tree where it is obvious.
Owls are predators and birds do not like to go near them

gwpercle
05-21-2020, 11:24 AM
Get an owl decoy and mount it in your peach tree where it is obvious.
Owls are predators and birds do not like to go near them

Owls and rubber snakes work for a little while but the critters eating your fruit aren't fooled forever, they soon got wise to the fakes ...that's when I planted more trees ... that works .

Silvercreek Farmer
05-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Our peaches never seem to make between the pests and diseases. Too wet here, I figure. They do better in SC. I pruned off a bunch of lower branches this past winter to see if that helps. We got a nice fruit set this year, fingers crossed!

10x
05-23-2020, 08:08 PM
Our peaches never seem to make between the pests and diseases. Too wet here, I figure. They do better in SC. I pruned off a bunch of lower branches this past winter to see if that helps. We got a nice fruit set this year, fingers crossed!

I have to drive for 14 hours to get to a climate that allows peach trees to grow. I have eaten fresh peaches off the tree exactly once in my life. They were incredible.
From 400 miles due east of Ketchikan AK.

Winger Ed.
05-23-2020, 08:15 PM
I have to drive for 14 hours to get to a climate that allows peach trees to grow. I have eaten fresh peaches off the tree exactly once in my life. They were incredible. From 400 miles due east of Ketchikan AK.

Time the seasons right, and get on down to Georgia.
Lots of growers will let you go into the orchards to pick your own, and pay by weight on the way out.
That might make the road trip worth while for ya.

10x
05-24-2020, 07:30 AM
Time the seasons right, and get on down to Georgia.
Lots of growers will let you go into the orchards to pick your own, and pay by weight on the way out.
That might make the road trip worth while for ya.

40 hours driving time one way? 5300 miles round trip from here... Those peaches had better be good

Winger Ed.
05-24-2020, 03:20 PM
.. Those peaches had better be good

They think pretty highly of them down there.:bigsmyl2: