PDA

View Full Version : Insane Chocolate Pie Recipe

gwpercle
05-14-2020, 07:17 PM
This has to be the best chocolate pie I have ever consumed .
My daughter adapted a few and came up with this winner .

Ingredients:
2/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks
3 cups milk
2 tbsp. butter , softened
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional - dark chocolate chips can be used)
Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet chips were used in this one .
1 - pre-baked pie crust , 9 inch deep dish , regular crust will be full .
garnish with Reddi-Whip topping or sweetened whipped cream .

Directions:
1.) Combine sugar with cornstarch and salt in a sauce pan . Whisk egg yolks with milk .
Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the sugar mixture . Set sauce pan over medium heat . Cook stirring constantly , until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil and stir for 1 minute or until thickened . Remove from heat , stir in butter and vanilla .

2.) Add 2 cups of chocolate chips ( you can reserve a few for garnishing if you like) ;
Stir/whisk until chips are melted and mixture is well combined.
Pour chocolate mixture into the pre-baked and cooled pie crust. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the chocolate filling.
Cool to room temperature , Chill completely in the refrigerator.

3.) When completely chilled , remove plastic wrap , smooth out top , garnish with a few chocolate chips and whipped cream .

Use good quality chocolate chips and a good pie crust (Ghirardelli and Pillsbury in this instance) and you will have one of those Pies you dream about !
Gary

SciFiJim
05-14-2020, 09:06 PM
Copied and saved for later use. Thanks!

rockrat
05-14-2020, 11:14 PM
Have you ever made a meringue topping instead and browned it in the oven?

BPSharps
05-14-2020, 11:25 PM
That sounds awesome! Thank you!

gwpercle
05-15-2020, 04:19 PM
Have you ever made a meringue topping instead and browned it in the oven?

I like meringue but my wife can't stand meringue ( have no idea why ) .... so the pie gets whipped cream....around our house when mom is happy , everybody's happy .
Meringue is a perfect use of the egg whites that you don't use and commonly used as a topping ...
do it if you like meringue !
Gary

gwpercle
05-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Tried an experiment , substituted butterscotch chips for the chocolate chips in the chocolate pie recipe and made a Butterscotch Pie . Pretty darn good ... I love butterscotch .

Next pie experiment , Caramel Pie...substitute caramel baking chips for the chocolate chips !
I never knew they made such a thing as Caramel chips .

My gut feeling is it will be good also ...but that Chocolate Pie is going to be mighty hard to beat.
We shall see !
Gary

Randy Bohannon
06-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Learn to make your own pie crust , I will never buy another store bought frozen pie crust. Phylo and Puff Pasty different story.
I will be doing this recipe, thanks for sharing.

gwpercle
06-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Learn to make your own pie crust , I will never buy another store bought frozen pie crust. Phylo and Puff Pasty different story.
I will be doing this recipe, thanks for sharing.

Well ... Post us a recipe ... I would try it if I knew how.
Gary

PB234
06-04-2020, 03:21 PM
I used this crust https://shadowcook.com/2007/11/29/dorrie-greenspans-good-for-almost-everything-pie-dough/ .

How to roll dough www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfKWsgGq6EM .