PDA

View Full Version : Hand cycling light loads in M1/M1A?

Silvercreek Farmer
05-14-2020, 06:04 PM
Loaded up some loads for the M1A with 2400 that I knew wouldn't cycle the M1A with the intentions of hand cycling the rounds. Worked out great! I could dump the brass in a nice little pile right at my feet. No hunting in the grass! Was thinking about doing the same with my CMP Garand when it gets here. Anything I should know about doing this extensively?

Der Gebirgsjager
05-14-2020, 06:19 PM
Nothing I can think of..

DG

gmsharps
05-14-2020, 06:46 PM
As you probably know make sure you are feeding from a magazine and not straight to the chamber so as to prevent a slam fire.

Gmsharps

Winger Ed.
05-14-2020, 06:48 PM
Close the gas port and you can do that with full house rounds too.

What I've done to shoot reduced loads, and cast in my M1A is work up a load- I use IMR 3031 or 4198,
until it just cycles the action, then bump it up a little at a time to get the best accuracy under the max.
recommended in the Lyman book.

They cycle the action, and will lock the bolt back, but they don't fly very far compared to full pressure stuff.

I probably couldn't win the Wimbledon Cup with them, but they hold to one MOA of soda pop can.

Silvercreek Farmer
05-14-2020, 07:51 PM
As you probably know make sure you are feeding from a magazine and not straight to the chamber so as to prevent a slam fire.

Gmsharps

For sure.

Hick
05-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Did the same with my CMP Garand. I bought a second gas plug and drilled out the valve so that it was permanently open. I've done thousands of rounds like that hand cycling and everything works fine. When I want semi-auto I just switch to the original gas plug.