View Full Version : The Frozen North

Bullshop
12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
In July :-) Bull Shop Mom and the 6 Bull Shop youngins

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/799250f9.jpg

Bull Shop Mom

The Nyack Kid
12-21-2005, 12:59 AM
..... but what does it look like now though ? frozen solid and pitch black out?
btw cute kids ,must take after Bullshop mom.

Bullshop
12-21-2005, 02:09 AM
..... but what does it look like now though ? frozen solid and pitch black out?
btw cute kids ,must take after Bullshop mom.
Never mind what it looks like now. We are all inside by the stove holding candles and looking at the pic from July. For Christmas we are bringing in a bail of hay, spreading it on the floor so the kids can have a chance to play in a yard.
Yea they get thier looks from BSM and thier boolits from me.
On the bright side refrigeration is very affordable.
BTW - Tomarrow we gain 4 seconds of day light
BIC/BS

Frank46
12-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Bullshop, thats one heckuva garden. I had one down here in loosiana, corn, green beans,egg plant, peppers, potatoes and probably a few others that I cannot remember (CRN). One year my corn developed a fungus that the local ag said don't eat as the fungus was toxic. Had a big sears tiller, don't know what got the most exercise the tiller or me.
Frank

KCSO
12-21-2005, 10:08 AM
April flowers bring May showers,
as the old saying goes.
But in Nebrask its like Alaska
It Only Snows!

I sure wish we would get some of that Global Warming.

9.3X62AL
12-21-2005, 01:38 PM
There's NOTHING like December and January to show how wrong-headed the tree-hugging trendy leftist "scientists" are about "Global Warming". Agenda-driven wishful-thinking junk science.

One beautiful family, Bullshop!

The Nyack Kid
12-22-2005, 01:26 AM
bullshop
how are you set up to do your shooting in the winter time ?
i'm assuming that your not so far north as to have no day light left during the winter . how cold has it been for you ?
i would be interested in hearing about , ammo preformance in cold weather and how extreme cold affects accuretrasy .

Bullshop
12-22-2005, 11:40 PM
bullshop
how are you set up to do your shooting in the winter time ?
i'm assuming that your not so far north as to have no day light left during the winter . how cold has it been for you ?
i would be interested in hearing about , ammo preformance in cold weather and how extreme cold affects accuretrasy .
Nyack
We have a shootin shack a little less than 100 yards from my shop. It is inclosed with a window we shoot from. It has a wood stove in it to keep things shooting smoothly. We are working on berms at 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards.
Right now we have about 4 hours of good shooting light. We set a colman lantern at the target to shoot after dark.
Today I was shooting my most accurate rifle a Rem short action 6x45. I worked up a good load with the RCBS 100gn boolit that was doing realy well. A couple groups at 1/2" most at around 1" and a couple at 1 1/2" or so.
The stove wasnt going in the shootin shack so I brought the rifle inside between groups and it held at this level.
Thought to see what would happen if the gun got cold so left it out. Temp was right at 0. Went out to shoot group about every ten minutes. First group average, second group average, third group opened up a bit verticle. By the fourth group it was getting bad at 4 to 5". After an hour it was hard to hit the paper plate target I was using.
Brought the gun in and put it by the stove for an hour. Went out and shot a 1/2" group. Tried a dry fire when cold and got a nice quick snap.
I put an extra heavy spring in this rifle, and only use molly in the bolt. I once chronoed with factory spring and with oily lube on the pin and spring and got over 500fps extream spread at -30F.
I once had a TCR 83 that would not fire at all in the cold. I have not yet tried keeping just the ammo in the cold to see if there would be a velocity variation. The chrono dosnt work so well right now as our light hours still arent very bright. We only see the sun on the southern horison for about 20 minutes and the rest of our 4 hours is twilight. Makes for good hunting cause its always dawn or dusk.
BIC/BS

SharpsShooter
12-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Interesting reading Bullshop. Good thread.

The Nyack Kid
12-23-2005, 01:17 AM
very good read thanks , more info on the subject is always welcome.