PDA

View Full Version : Replacement mold handle handles????

abunaitoo
05-13-2020, 10:15 PM
Anyone here make them?????
I have a few that I'd like to replace.

Winger Ed.
05-13-2020, 10:37 PM
I've had one that cracked and split.

I packed it full of JB weld, and clamped & shoved it back where it belongs.
It's been doing OK so far.

abunaitoo
05-13-2020, 11:06 PM
I know I have a mold that is missing one handle.
Probably have some missing both.
I was thinking of getting a small wood lathe to make replacement handles.
As if I needed another "TO DO" on the long list.

Winger Ed.
05-13-2020, 11:30 PM
I was thinking of getting a small wood lathe to make replacement handles.

Normally, I would look at this as the perfect opportunity and reason to get more power tools.
In your situation, I'd just 'borrow' one from another mold and spend the extra time casting & shoot'n.:bigsmyl2:

Bad Ass Wallace
05-14-2020, 02:23 AM
Not sure what wood the originals are made from but I make replacements from red iron bark, very hard and almost indestructable!

Wayne Smith
05-14-2020, 07:55 AM
You can drill a piece of wood and carve the handle if you want. I have a lathe and have turned some, but have also carved a hatchet handle or two.

Mal Paso
05-14-2020, 08:48 AM
You can do these on a table saw. Hex gives a good grip and you can sand down the edges if you like.

Heavier, more durable wood transmits heat better. Lighter wood is a better insulator. These are Oak.

sparky45
05-14-2020, 08:50 AM
1" Dowel from the Hardware store and then get creative with the Sandpaper.

akajun
05-14-2020, 09:18 AM
The quick and easy for a completely missing handle is header wrap from the auto parts store and electrical tape. Found a few in my grandpas's stash done that way and he had a wood lathe.

chambers
05-14-2020, 09:38 AM
Used a 3/4" or 7/8" dowel from hardware store, drilled out the center( did use a lathe for this part to keep centered) , used a PEX tubing metal bend to go over the end where you install the handle( could use piece of conduit or copper pipe), install handle - there is little chance this thing is going to split. I made many of these.

country gent
05-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Replacement mould handles arnt hard to make. and can be a fun project. They can be done with hand tools. Wood can be wherever you find it. I suspect a lot of handles are a maple. But any wood works.I have used poplar wood dowels oak maple.

Tools required to make mould handles
center head or means of finding center of the dowel
Drill motor
drill the size to accept the tang
small drill if you wish to pin.
files and saw.
small vise or table and c-clamps to hold handle while drilling

Consumables
epoxy
epoxy bar finish this is almost indestructible when cured
sand paper
Steel wool
wood dowel

Locate center of dowel on end center punch to give good start
drill to depth hand drill works drill press is better a lathe is best
shape handle files and sand paper again a lathe makes this the easiest.
mix epoxy and pour measured amount in hole and insert release coated tang in place let harden. This forms the ideal tang shape and git. clean up excess
finish sand and shape
Mix the bar finish epoxy and coat outside of handle play a light heat gun or blow drier over it warming to release air bubbles. This is an incredibly hard durable coating.
When cured glue tang in pin or both.

If you want a metal ferrule a cooper end cap fitted and drilled makes a good one

metricmonkeywrench
05-14-2020, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a good Business opportunity for some youngster to earn some lunch money...

Elkins45
05-15-2020, 06:55 AM
If you are going to epoxy the handles take the time to file a couple of sharp grooves into the tang first. This provides a couple of surfaces for the epoxy to lock into and makes them harder to pull off.

abunaitoo
05-18-2020, 02:21 AM
I think I'm going to try.
Can't be any worse than it is now.

Bazoo
05-18-2020, 02:51 AM
I make ferrules from a piece of copper tubing. Cut to about 1/2 inch long, deburr. Fit to the handles via some judicious whittling and drive them on. Then punch a dimple in them with a nail that has the end rounded to keep them on.

David2011
05-21-2020, 12:14 AM
The red heat resistant RTV silicone makes a good bedding for mold handles. Besides being heat resistant it absorbs shock and holds up well.