PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 39 in .243! KABOOM!

Cactus Farmer
11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
A Remington 710 in 243 was fired with a 7.62x39!!!! BOOM! The owners son was the shooter....he still has his eyes and face! Claims to have killed an 8 point with the shot..........lucky to have a live son!!! I beat the bolt open,set the lugs back .060 thou or so...........What do I tell this BOZO!!!! F%^$ED up a rifle and lived to tell about it.:shock:

Geraldo
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
What do I tell this BOZO!!!!

Tell him to take up stamp collecting.

jonk
11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
What did it do besides set the lugs back?

Cactus Farmer
11-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Blew out the striker,and all the magazine guts.

Total loss except for the scope mount and the screws.........

Anyone need a 710 stock? Or 243 barrel with a lot of R-P 7.62x39 bullet jacket fouling?:violin:

Hardcast416taylor
11-25-2008, 05:30 PM
You can tell people repeatedly, show them articles about what can happen and they still somehow do this sort of thing. Years ago, when ammo companies had just made shotshells different colors. A relative came out to our farm pheasant hunting. He had bought a new box of Western Auto shotshells. We beat 1 cornfield, he only fired once at a bird. At the field end he was cussing out his pump gun. My brother and I took it from his, it wouldn`t chamber a new shell. We found a 16 gauge jammed in the barrel so a new 12 gauge shell wouldn`t chamber. It was on the second row of the new box of shells. Whether it was a factory goof or someone did it for devilment at the store we don`t know. With the difference in shell colors he should have caught it, he didn`t. It has been almost 60 years ago, I still have that shell marked on my collection board. :confused: :shock:

richbug
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Blew out the striker,and all the magazine guts.

Total loss except for the scope mount and the screws.........

Anyone need a 710 stock? Or 243 barrel with a lot of R-P 7.62x39 bullet jacket fouling?:violin:

does that barrel have enough meat to be threaded for a small ring mauser? 1.1" at the shank or so should do it.

Do you have a picture of the fired case?

flounderman
11-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I regularly use remington barrels in the turkish mausers. they have a large ring action with small ring threads. you can pick up a take off 700 barrel for a little of nothing and usually there is nothing wrong with them. I don't know if anybody heard this story, but after ww2, a lot of jap weapons came home. they chambered the 7.7 to 30-06 and the 6.5, to 257. supposedly this man wrote to american rifleman about the recoil he was getting with his jap. he had killed a deer with it, I believe. the rifleman was supposed to have tested it and they had chambered a 6.5 to 30-06 and the man was shooting 30-06s thru it. there was supposed to have been an article about it in the rifleman, maybe in the 50s or 60s. anybody ever hear about it?

fixit
11-26-2008, 02:57 AM
i dont know about rifleman, but there's a write up about that incedent inthe book 'bolt action rifles' that recounts that story and goes one step better....they duplicate it and do a full 'destructive analysis. pretty interesting to read!

madsenshooter
11-26-2008, 03:45 AM
I saw the article in Rifleman when I was going to college, spent too much time with those back issues! Biggest reason it worked was that the casehead is fully supported in an Arisaka, otherwise I imagine the case would have let go with the pressures needed to swage that .30 down to 6.5. In the 6.5 Arisakas the case is surrounded by steel all the way to the rim. I'm not sure about the 7.7's though Hatcher noted that rechambering to 30-06 or forming brass from 30-06, both of which was common practice, was hazardous because the case head on the 7.7 was .476-.480. They came out bulged just ahead of the web and he stated that if the cartridge was bad, ie prone to splitting, that it would be a problem.

Just Duke
11-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Sounds like he was drunk or on his way there at the time.

Cactus Farmer
11-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Here is what is left of the case head. It's still faintly readable as 7.62 x 39 R-P.

The striker was ejected but didn't hit the young man in the face.....miracle I think....

I gave the wrecked pieces back to the owner,so I will see if he wants to part with the barrel,and if the shank is large enought for a small ring. Be reminded that there is a case in the chamber and the bore passed a .311 bullet through a .243 hole and there is a good deal of copper to be removed if it will shoot at all.....I wonder that a 129 grain 6mm bullet looks like? I bet it's a loooong one!