PDA

View Full Version : Packs of Dogs

ACC
05-12-2020, 06:29 PM
Some of you may know that I have a feral dog problem out at my wife's property. I shoot as many as I can due to the fact that we have lost a calf to them.

But the problem has gotten worse over these last few months. Sunday my wife and I went out to check on things when a pack of 7 dogs with about 8 puppies got a little to close for our liking. I pulled out my rifle and got 2 but the others ran off. I just can't work the bolt as fast as I used to on my Ruger Ranch rifle. Would I be able to do better with a Mini-30? It also is in 7.62X39 so the same cast bullet ammo should work.

Any better ideas, as I really need some better ones.

ACC

skeettx
05-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Why would you be working the bolt on a Ruger Ranch Rifle

Now a Ruger American Ranch Rifle is a bolt gun

Get an AR in 223 for dog control

Scrounge
05-12-2020, 06:52 PM
Some of you may know that I have a feral dog problem out at my wife's property. I shoot as many as I can due to the fact that we have lost a calf to them.

But the problem has gotten worse over these last few months. Sunday my wife and I went out to check on things when a pack of 7 dogs with about 8 puppies got a little to close for our liking. I pulled out my rifle and got 2 but the others ran off. I just can't work the bolt as fast as I used to on my Ruger Ranch rifle. Would I be able to do better with a Mini-30? It also is in 7.62X39 so the same cast bullet ammo should work.

ACC

Any magazine-fed semi-auto that you can rapidly re-aim will do. 7.62x39 should have plenty of knock-down and penetration for the job. If you've got a mini-14, you should use it. Maybe a little range time before hand would be good, but you know your skills way better than I do. I'm rusty from not doing a lot shooting, so I'd probably have trouble with it.

KYCaster
05-12-2020, 07:13 PM
SKS with 20 round magazine and forward mounted 1X pistol scope or red dot sight.
Rugged, accurate, cast boolit friendly, quick on target... what's not to like!

You can thank me later,
Jerry

KLR
05-12-2020, 07:20 PM
AR15 with jacketed soft points. 55-65 grains. This isn't the time to worry about cast bullets. Shoot it enough to get confident.

versa-06
05-12-2020, 07:37 PM
I Second the not worrying about cast in a situation like this, (Please pardon me for a moment!) But I have been there & done that. I lost 8 calves due to stray & domestic dogs in a 4-month period. I have 2 newer model stainless Ruger Ranch rifles & they are far more accurate than most of the older ones. I carried an AR-14 When I worked @ Wallens Ridge State Prison & was not near as confident with that rifle as I am with the Ruger. The .223 with a 45 gr bullet & up will smack the p--s out of just about any K-9. Smoke'm & Be Rid of them Discreetly & move on. I tried to meet amends through the law & would have needed a Philly Lawyer to get there. My 2 cents. Jim

versa-06
05-12-2020, 07:39 PM
WOW should have been AR-15, Do I Look Like an Ignorant Puts.

reloader28
05-12-2020, 09:52 PM
If they are close enough leave the AR in the truck and use a 12 gauge with #4 buck. Less aiming and more chance of hitting something or somethings with each shot

richhodg66
05-12-2020, 10:04 PM
If they are close enough leave the AR in the truck and use a 12 gauge with #4 buck. Less aiming and more chance of hitting something or somethings with each shot

Not sure what ranges you're talking about, but I'd generally have to agree that a pump or autoloading shotgun would be the best choice if they're close enough (50 yards or closer).

Greg S
05-12-2020, 11:05 PM
Good advise above, when it comes to killing, 12 ga #4 - 00 for 0-35/50 yds and an AR carbine with an Aimpoints red dot with a 30 mm (don't get a cheap one with a 20mm, to narrow FOV) obj for tracking moving targets to 200yds.

Dinny
05-13-2020, 12:09 AM
Packs of dogs ran amiss all over Iraq in 2003. They were aggressive and quite often gave away our positions. Whenever we'd make contact and break silence we'd lay into the enemy and then the dogs. The M249 SAW did a great job on both. I vote for a light recoiling semi-auto rifle. Chances are you'll be able to make more accurate follow up shots with that than a shotgun loaded with buckshot.

Thanks, Dinny

MrWolf
05-13-2020, 09:17 AM
I Second the not worrying about cast in a situation like this, (Please pardon me for a moment!) But I have been there & done that. I lost 8 calves due to stray & domestic dogs in a 4-month period. I have 2 newer model stainless Ruger Ranch rifles & they are far more accurate than most of the older ones. I carried an AR-14 When I worked @ Wallens Ridge State Prison & was not near as confident with that rifle as I am with the Ruger. The .223 with a 45 gr bullet & up will smack the p--s out of just about any K-9. Smoke'm & Be Rid of them Discreetly & move on. I tried to meet amends through the law & would have needed a Philly Lawyer to get there. My 2 cents. Jim

Joe Biden alert! We got an imposter here! AR 14 :kidding:

CastingFool
05-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Joe Biden alert! We got an imposter here! AR 14 :kidding:

With a 100 round clip!

knifemaker
05-13-2020, 12:27 PM
I think you would be better off with the mini-30 instead of a shotgun with #4 buckshot. If you have to shoot the dog past 25-30 yards, the buckshot may only wound him and he gets back home and you have a ticked off dog owner that failed to keep his dogs on his property. There is a U.S. Dept. of Agriculture code that allows you to shoot dogs on your property if they are harassing your livestock. The code states you can not be charged with a crime for shooting the dogs and you can not be held civil liable either. Other words no law suit against you.
In my law enforcement career, I worked a rural area where live stock owners had problems with dog packs and I carried copies of the Agriculture code to hand out to the live stock owners and to dog owners that wanted me to arrest the livestock owner for shooting their dog. Made a lot of the dog owners keep a closer eye on their dogs and keep them at home.
I retired in 2003, so you should check the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture code sections to be sure that code is still active today.

Geezer in NH
05-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Make sure your cast loads work the action on the mini-30 or just use any jacketed round they will work.

Chihuahua Floyd
05-13-2020, 02:11 PM
When used well anything from a 22 lr to a 458 Win May will kill a dog. What you want is dead right there, not dead sometime.
Use what will get you the desired result. If I had a Semi auto in 7.62 X39 that would be my go to. Jacketed soft points.
From what I have it would be my AR, then my 357 Mag lever action, I would pick oneofmy bolt actions last.
CF

gpidaho
05-13-2020, 02:42 PM
My AR 300 Blackout feeds the Noe 314-129-sp or the Noe 311 -214-FN-CA5 just fine (powder coated and sized .310) The 129gr. loaded over 17gr. LilGun pretty much mimics 7.62X39.. It would do a number on feral dogs. If I owned one, I would think the Mini 30 would be excellent for that sort of work. Gp

gumbo333
05-13-2020, 04:24 PM
I take it that you do have a bolt rifle in 7.62 x 39 and a Ruger mini-30 in 7.62 x 39. Lots of loaded ammo in 7.62x 39 is dirt cheap, get some and practice with that mini 30. What sight do you have?

am44mag
05-13-2020, 04:34 PM

ACC

I do not have experience with the Mini 30, but I have read that the magazines for those aren't the best. That may be an issue you want to look into before buying one. If you are dead set on 7.62x39, an AK or SKS would be good. You can also get an AR in it, PSA sells both standard ARs and hybrid ARs that use AK mags. With the standard, you'll want to buy some C products 7.62x39 mags to get the gun to run reliably, and you will want to dial the gas system in so that you don't destroy the bolt (7.62x39 ARs are notorious about breaking bolts). A well made bolt (I like toolcraft) with either an H2 or H3 buffer will usually solve that issue. An adjustable gas block is good too. You want that bolt to cycle as gently as possible, but still be completely reliable. I built an AR pistol in 7.62x39, and it's a wonderful little gun.

A standard AR in 5.56 would probably serve you just as well. 300 Blackout would be good too, and would be far better for cast than a 5.56. The only reason I don't have one is because a 300 blackout uses the same bolt and mags as a 5.56, and will chamber and fire in a 5.56 with not so good results. I'd rather not even create a situation where a mix up like that is possible, so that's why I went with 7.62x39. I love the round, enough that I want to build a rifle in it now.

Dapaki
05-13-2020, 04:46 PM
I like the 7.62x39 for taking the dogs down. WOLF soft points expand OK, drop them where they stand. Most definitely use a semi auto with a 30 round magazine and lead them by a full body length as most dogs can do 25 mph at full speed.

Better yet, bait them and have a couple buddies you trust with a gun help you out and call the shots.

Bad Ass Wallace
05-13-2020, 05:13 PM
I shoot wild dogs on my property with a Martini 25/35. They take off so quickly that you don't get a second shot!

https://i.imgur.com/2tDJ9vFl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x41FwJIm.jpg

GOPHER SLAYER
05-13-2020, 05:39 PM
I was under the impression that semi-autos were outlawed in in Australia. I could be wrong, have been before, long, long time ago.

Texas by God
05-13-2020, 05:53 PM
The Op is in Texas, not Australia. Russian bi-metal and cast bullets are too Ricochet prone to use around cattle. I have always used a 22-250 which works perfectly but so will a semi-auto .223 with expanding bullets.
S,S,&S and no pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ACC
05-13-2020, 06:09 PM
Why would you be working the bolt on a Ruger Ranch Rifle

Now a Ruger American Ranch Rifle is a bolt gun

Get an AR in 223 for dog control

Sorry my thinker ain't workin' I meant American.

ACC

ACC
05-13-2020, 06:11 PM
Not sure what ranges you're talking about, but I'd generally have to agree that a pump or autoloading shotgun would be the best choice if they're close enough (50 yards or closer).

They got about 50 yards away from us.

ACC

megasupermagnum
05-13-2020, 09:07 PM
They got about 50 yards away from us.

ACC

Inside of 50 yards, you will never beat a good shotgun. 65 yards is reasonable on coyote with my #F buckshot handloads.

knifemaker
05-14-2020, 12:54 AM
You must have a full choke on that shotgun. At 30 yards I have seen most #00 buck miss a man size target with only 2-3 pellets hitting the silhouette with a Imp. cylinder choke. #4 buck had more hits on the silhouette, but does not have the penetration of #00 buck at that distance. A rifle caliber will also allow a lot more further range to engage dogs that are running away from you.
I would use the mini-30 or similar semi auto rifle with a red dot sight for fast shooting of multiple targets.
As for the hits on a silhouette target, I was a LEO firearms instructor that did many tests using police shotguns on silhouette targets at different distances to determine their effective range on human targets.

reloader28
05-14-2020, 11:27 AM
With a modified choke, 50 yards is no problem

Norske
05-14-2020, 11:51 AM
When I was a kid, we once had a pack of three dogs running our cattle. My father led our welsh horse to a pasture gate and turned her and our dog loose. One of the invaders fought with and lost to our long-haired dog (collie-elkhound mix?) and two chased the horse. These dogs were used to chasing cattle, but when a cow kicks, it just throws a leg out without much aim (cattle fight with their heads) but a horse, as a cattleman coworker said, will pick the middle initial out of your belt buckle. Second dog got kicked in the chest, never to rise again. The last one went for the horse's front and met teeth bigger than his. He died under front hooves. Both our dog and our horse returned looking proud of themselves and were given large portions of their favorite treats.

dverna
05-14-2020, 12:22 PM
The Op is in Texas, not Australia. Russian bi-metal and cast bullets are too Ricochet prone to use around cattle. I have always used a 22-250 which works perfectly but so will a semi-auto .223 with expanding bullets.
S,S,&S and no pics.

Listen to him. A decent AR is under $600 and will get the job done....not bad medicine for two legged packs of varmints either.

quilbilly
05-14-2020, 12:48 PM
I have a Mini-14 for such an occasion. Nowadays, the jacketed soft points are so cheap in bulk that it is barely worth casting for the semi-auto. I save my cast boolits in 223's for my bolt gun and single shots. Feral dogs are not just a danger to domestic stock but to small children. Many, many years ago a pack attacked a small child my neighborhood in rural SoCal so I went after them with a 222 and got several even though I knew which houses the dogs belonged to. I felt no guilt whatsoever.

jonp
05-14-2020, 01:11 PM
AR with a Red Dot. I have an Eotech 512 on one and it is very fast.

am44mag
05-14-2020, 03:22 PM
When I was a kid, we once had a pack of three dogs running our cattle. My father led our welsh horse to a pasture gate and turned her and our dog loose. One of the invaders fought with and lost to our long-haired dog (collie-elkhound mix?) and two chased the horse. These dogs were used to chasing cattle, but when a cow kicks, it just throws a leg out without much aim (cattle fight with their heads) but a horse, as a cattleman coworker said, will pick the middle initial out of your belt buckle. Second dog got kicked in the chest, never to rise again. The last one went for the horse's front and met teeth bigger than his. He died under front hooves. Both our dog and our horse returned looking proud of themselves and were given large portions of their favorite treats.

I have heard that donkeys are very good for this too. They can be extremely aggressive against threats.

Win94ae
05-14-2020, 03:32 PM
I have heard that donkeys are very good for this too. They can be extremely aggressive against threats.

Yes, when I used to help my neighbor bale hay, their donkeys would sometimes go after my dog, once they got used to her they didn't try to attack her anymore. That is why he had them, for coyotes.

Bookworm
05-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Many around here use guard donkeys. One or two per pasture.

A dog going after them is like running into a garden tiller at full throttle.

seetrout
05-14-2020, 08:28 PM
I read an article some time ago that said a lot of sheep farmers have started keeping alpaca's to protect the herd from coyotes.
My BIL has a horse he got cheap because it's got some kind of deformity in it's hooves. It must be painful cause that horse is plain foul tempered. Nothing crosses his pasture and lives. Cheap entertainment is to walk around the pasture and see if you can identify what died by the tufts of fur sticking out of the ground.

For the pest control you describe I have to agree with the majority here. A quick pointing semi-auto firing a light recoiling rifle cartridge with quick expanding bullets topped with a quality red dot or low power scope with a heavy reticle is just the ticket. Probably the easiest and cheapest to come by would be a flat top AR carbine in 5.56. My choice of slug would be 55 or 60gr Nosler BT's, but everyone has their own favorite.

Geezer in NH
05-14-2020, 09:15 PM
I do not have experience with the Mini 30, but I have read that the magazines for those aren't the best. . Aftermarket magazines are iffy However Factory magazines work no faults.

Same as most platforms good mags work cheap junk don't.

megasupermagnum
05-14-2020, 11:48 PM
You must have a full choke on that shotgun. At 30 yards I have seen most #00 buck miss a man size target with only 2-3 pellets hitting the silhouette with a Imp. cylinder choke. #4 buck had more hits on the silhouette, but does not have the penetration of #00 buck at that distance. A rifle caliber will also allow a lot more further range to engage dogs that are running away from you.
I would use the mini-30 or similar semi auto rifle with a red dot sight for fast shooting of multiple targets.
As for the hits on a silhouette target, I was a LEO firearms instructor that did many tests using police shotguns on silhouette targets at different distances to determine their effective range on human targets.

4 buck has plenty of penetration for dogs at ranges well beyond what you can get to pattern. Some guys go as small as BB for coyote. I go half way at #F, which produced tighter patterns than T or 4 buck in my gun. Yes, that is with a full choke. I have used that load with an improved cylinder and shot a fox at 40 yards, though only two hits in a lethal spot.

I never owned a mini14, but I've never had one fail. They are reliable.

knifemaker
05-15-2020, 12:30 PM
My point is why limit yourself to 50-60 yards with a shotgun. Most of the dogs shot in my farmland area were well beyond that yardage as the dogs upon even seeing you will head for the next county after being shot at a few times. Use a weapon that will take them down from the muzzle to 200 yards is far better for day to day shooting of dogs harassing livestock.
Most livestock owners encounter dogs when driving or walking their fields, not sitting in a blind calling them in to shotgun range.

Texas by God
05-15-2020, 01:07 PM
IME knife maker nailed it. Killing stray dogs with a shotgun is ugly business unless they are close- which they won't be. Wounded dogs go home and make a scene that no one needs or wants.

knifemaker
05-15-2020, 07:15 PM
Texas I had one old timer in my area that was having problems with dogs attacking his sheep in the pasture behind his house. That old timer used a National Match M-1 Garand to kill about 4 dogs in a years time. Turned out he used to be in the Navy and was a member of their shooting team and when he retired he was allowed to keep his NM Garand that he used on the shooting team.
I tried to talk him into selling that rifle to me, but he had promised his son the rifle when he passes away. The son has the rifle now and I miss talking to that old timer and hearing his stories.

richhodg66
05-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Seems like everybody who has stock around here has at least one donkey in with them. Neighbor down the road has two. The cattle seem to stay away from them, for some reason, but a donkey is apparently way better at keeping coyotes away than any dog.

Terminatorret
05-16-2020, 06:31 PM
I live in the country, too. Came home from town to find 2 dogs inside my chicken coop with all my chickens killed. The chicken coop was built like Ft. Knox, but the dogs still managed to bust through a 1-ft by 1-ft heavy-duty double-wire-mesh window. Unfortunately for the dogs, they were too stupid leave the scene of the crime and exit from whence they came.
A few shots from my truck gun (7.62x25 CZ-52) and the situation was resolved.
My wife then got a little nervous and said, " What if they were some of our neighbors' dogs? What will we tell them?"
My response was that if my chickens ever got loose and went to my neighbors' house and killed THEIR dogs, I would give them permission to kill my chickens.
I don't hate dogs, but once they get the taste of chicken blood, they'll always come back for more.

fcvan
05-17-2020, 05:25 PM
I live in the country, too. Came home from town to find 2 dogs inside my chicken coop with all my chickens killed. The chicken coop was built like Ft. Knox, but the dogs still managed to bust through a 1-ft by 1-ft heavy-duty double-wire-mesh window. Unfortunately for the dogs, they were too stupid leave the scene of the crime and exit from whence they came.
A few shots from my truck gun (7.62x25 CZ-52) and the situation was resolved.
My wife then got a little nervous and said, " What if they were some of our neighbors' dogs? What will we tell them?"
My response was that if my chickens ever got loose and went to my neighbors' house and killed THEIR dogs, I would give them permission to kill my chickens.
I don't hate dogs, but once they get the taste of chicken blood, they'll always come back for more.

Well, yes and no. We had a dog that killed a couple of chickens. Dad grabbed a dead chicken, beat the dog with it like a war drum, and tie-wired it around his neck. After 3 days, they dead chicken smelled so bad the dog never went near a chicken again. Personally, I think just tying the chicken would have done the job, that hand harsh toned scolding. I have never had a dog that wouldn't do anything for a praising tone, or tucked their tail for a harsh tone.

The neighbor's dog (farm area, hundreds of yards away) ended up on the wrong end of a 41 mag. It wasn't the first time, more like tenth. Neighbor was a foster parent of special needs kids who did not always latch the gate when they let the dog out to play with. Come sundown . . . you know the story.

Neighbor was always apologetic, ended up purchasing 3 dozen chicks to replace the chickens. Too bad half were Banty chicks, very prolific but it took 6 - 9 eggs per breakfast. Plus side is they were great brooders. We just put Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn eggs under the Banty hens. Down side was they also hid and bred up more Banty chicks. Solution, dad put an ad in the paper for 'free chickens.' Asian refugees to the rescue. After that, he had their phone number.

bld451
05-20-2020, 02:18 AM
Shot prairie dogs on a ranch when I was in college. He gave us permission to shoot in the pasture with the cows on the condition that we shoot any canine we saw. I asked him how I could identify his dogs while out and about so we didn't shoot a pet. He replied "Don't matter. Shoot them too. They know they aren't supposed to be in the cattle."

He used a motorcycle and trucks for roundup....

mattri
05-25-2020, 06:27 PM
This is basically what the AR platform in 223 was designed for. Multiple shots at reasonable range, good accuracy, a round that will kill but is easy to manage, plenty of cheap ammo- sounds like a winner to me. With a little practice open sights will get you on target at those ranges with quick follow ups and not too much blast or kick to throw you off. They've come down in price to where they are more than reasonable, find some cheap ammo it likes and buy a few hundred rounds, load a few 30 round mags and toss it all in the trk! If you're worried about one crawling off shoot it again.

Scrounge
05-25-2020, 06:38 PM
Seems like everybody who has stock around here has at least one donkey in with them. Neighbor down the road has two. The cattle seem to stay away from them, for some reason, but a donkey is apparently way better at keeping coyotes away than any dog.

Coyotes often run in packs. A single dog doesn't have much chance against even two or three coyotes. I bet donkeys do better against predators in groups, too.

beezapilot
05-25-2020, 06:38 PM
My neighbor, a dear sweet seventy something lady, a problem with dogs and the livestock around her place when I lived in Washington State. She put an old mattress in the bucket of the tractor, parked it by her pens, raised it up and climbed up in the bucket. Took a nap until barking dogs and whatnot woke her up. Sat up in that bucket with a M1Carbine and ran through the magazine- I understand the carnage was impressive.

ACC
05-25-2020, 10:18 PM
My dear wife (who owns the property her daddy left her) went out and bought me a Mini-Thirty and a 1000 rounds of wolf ammo for our 35th wedding anniversary. It has a 3X9 weaver scope on it and tomorrow I am going to take it to the range.

ACC

fiberoptik
05-25-2020, 10:19 PM
She’s a keeper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richhodg66
05-28-2020, 08:47 PM
My neighbor, a dear sweet seventy something lady, a problem with dogs and the livestock around her place when I lived in Washington State. She put an old mattress in the bucket of the tractor, parked it by her pens, raised it up and climbed up in the bucket. Took a nap until barking dogs and whatnot woke her up. Sat up in that bucket with a M1Carbine and ran through the magazine- I understand the carnage was impressive.

That's awesome!

T-Bird
05-31-2020, 10:50 AM
Heavy Shot makes a 12 ga shell "Dead Coyote" that they claim will reach out and swat'em 75+ yds. Shells cost about $4 each tho.

Three44s
05-31-2020, 11:18 AM
Do you know where your dogs are tonight?

“..... a ..... a ....... a ........”

........ Well do ya’?

I have had that conversation with a dog owner back when the long running PSA ran about whether you knew where your children were.

The owner finally told me they were “around” .....

I retorted .... around? ..... Around where?

“Well around my place” he answers

Wrong answer! They weren’t.

They were chasing deer on my place 1.5 miles away! This was a problem that surfaced nine months earlier when the same dogs chased 150 of my yearlings through multiple fences and so far wide spread it took an airplane to help find them all.

Another time, different owner, different dogs and a mother cow of ours protecting her calf lost the entire front of her face, bone and all to Pit Bulls!

Three44s

Three44s
05-31-2020, 11:32 AM
I
Heavy Shot makes a 12 ga shell "Dead Coyote" that they claim will reach out and swat'em 75+ yds. Shells cost about $4 each tho.

10 ga. 3 1/2” chamber double barrel SXS 32” full choke, #4 buck, 54 pellets 24 caliber lead rolls broadside Rottweilers at that range.

Three44s

Three44s
05-31-2020, 11:45 AM
I thought that Rotties were the pinnacle of huge mutts.

I learned different.

I experienced Mastiffs.

I went to .25-06 mode with 100 gr. Ballistic Tips

Three44s

warren5421
06-14-2020, 07:54 AM
I grew up in southern Ohio and had a plant that killed livestock for the local stores and dumped the intestines in a deep ravine where the wild things would eat them. Ended up with a big pack of dogs, wild, domestic and dropped. This was in the 1950's. Livestock started being hurt or killed so several farmers published in the paper that any dog seen running outside of the yard was going to be shot. That said week, several 100 large dogs were shot as it was also tree rat session so a lot of hunters were in the woods. The big ring leader was a husky (that wouldn't hurt a flea) and a collie, both seen several times before they meant a .30-06. Both were kids pets accordingly to the houses where they lived during most days.

murf205
06-14-2020, 10:55 AM
With a modified choke, 50 yards is no problem

+1 for the modified choke. I hunted in a club here in Alabama that used shotguns only and my 870 Express with a modified choke shot 000 buck better than any other choke tube by a LOT. It wouldn't be my first choice for wild dogs because they are pretty wiley and once they realize you are about to light them up, they get going, as in out of range of a scattergun. Mini 14 gets my vote, just use factory mags for the best reliability.

murf205
06-14-2020, 11:02 AM
My dear wife (who owns the property her daddy left her) went out and bought me a Mini-Thirty and a 1000 rounds of wolf ammo for our 35th wedding anniversary. It has a 3X9 weaver scope on it and tomorrow I am going to take it to the range.

ACC

Lucky you! The accuracy of the newer Mini's is better than the older ones. My gunsmith says that if you put a .040 or .045 gas port in them to reduce the violent ejection of brass, that they are more accurate. Keep us posted on how you like the gun.

robg
06-14-2020, 03:25 PM
had a gsd that wanted to chase sheep.had a word with the sheperd .put dog in small space with an old ewe ,every time the dog tried to molest the ewe she butted him in the ribs .after that afternoon he never went near sheep.

clintsfolly
06-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Many years ago my dad had a small beef farm and the new neighbor got a German Shepard. After many trip take the dog home and telling them the dog is chasing cows. The lady thought it was cute to watch from the window! The last time I returned the day with baling twine lead. No one was home so I tied him front door. As I was leaving the husband came home and started yelling about tying up his dog. I let him yell for a few minutes and then told him” Your dog runs the cows one more time and I will take the legal way I haven’t used yet!” One walked the 1000’ home and when thru the front door and could see out the sliding door in the back. Out in the field was yep the dog grabs the first gun in the gun closet. My 270win by the time I got it loaded and the slider open the dog was about ten feet in front of the 200yd bullet trap. Boom down it went! Grabbed a baling twine loop and dragged the dog way out back and into the middle of a small swamp. Two day later the neighbor,wife and kid knock on the front door. Have you seen our dog? The last time I saw him he was tied to you front door but will call if I see him.

Ozark mike
06-14-2020, 03:33 PM
BROWNING AUTO5 12ga is my recommendation or browning gold 10 and maybe a 243 for longer ranges

Outpost75
06-14-2020, 04:42 PM
The .30 M1 carbine also does very well IF you load the .309" diameter Hornady 90-grain XTP hollowpoint with a full charge of 296 or H110 exactly as listed for a 110-grain bullet. Velocity is about 2100 fps and on yotes and dogs this bullet is the absolute BOMB! No riccochets either.