PDA

View Full Version : Ruger .480 or BFR .475

sac
05-10-2020, 07:24 PM
For the last few years I have been wanting a .475 linebaugh, but don't have the money to spend 3 to 4 thousand on a custom.
So I guess what is the boards opinion between these to revolvers. I found a post from a few years ago that leaned towards the BFR, just checking if the BFR's quality is still the same?
Thanks Scott

Wheelguns 1961
05-10-2020, 09:03 PM
I don’t have a bfr 475linebaugh, but do have a 480 ruger sbh with a 6 1/2” barrel. My ruger has been great. The only thing that I did to it was a lighter trigger spring. The cylinder was also sent to Doug because it would shave lead at the transition from chamber to throat. It is accurate. The barrel is good with no thread choke. The fit and finish is as good or better than any ruger I have. I mounted a red dot on it, and use it for hunting. In my opinion, it will kill anything. I don’t think there is a big enough difference between the two to justify the extra money for the bfr.

contender1
05-10-2020, 09:06 PM
I own several Rugers,, including the SBH in 480 & a few SRH's in 480. I've handled & shot some of the BFR's. Nice guns,, but I've found that for MY preferences,, I'll stick with Ruger.

plowboysghost
05-10-2020, 11:20 PM
I have a 4-5/8" SBH Bisley in .480 and I'm happy with the gun and the caliber. I had originally planned to go with a .475 L. BFR, but I made a good trade at the dealer for this brand new Ruger and I'm glad I didn't pass it up.

I set out searching for to buy a .475 BFR about a week ago with my stimulus check, but I didn't want a longer barrel like the BFR .475 comes standard with, and I didn't want to have to pay extra to cut one down.

All in all....there's not enough meat on the bone between .480 Ruger and .475 Linebaugh to make it worth the skinning, anyway. There literally is only 2,000 psi difference in the max SAAMI pressure between them.

I decided to just enjoy the Ruger and spend the money on some gun leather and a new Uberti 1866 Carbine in .45 Colt.

megasupermagnum
05-11-2020, 12:16 AM
This is something I've thought about myself. I hold with others that the difference between 480 ruger and 475 linebaugh is minimal, not enough to worry about.

The Ruger super blackhawk is a reasonably compact 5 shot that I'm seeing for $800-$900. The Ruger super redhawk is a 6 shot double action, and costs around $900-$1000. So here you have to weigh compactness vs capacity, plus I find the SRH ugly. If Ruger chambered a standard redhawk in 480 ruger, I would already own one, but they don't.

The Magnum Research BFR on the other hand is a large single action, but still a 5 shot. I'm seeing these for around $950-$1050. While I'm a Ruger man all the way, I also believe Magnum Research builds their guns close to custom levels of tolerance. While I have not fired one, the BFR bisley grip feels better to me than the Ruger bisley in the store. Theoretically the way the BFR is built, and the tolerances it is held to, it should shoot better than the Ruger, but the Rugers shoot pretty dang good.

I'll admit my opinion is a bit influenced by the fact that at one time I drove past the Magnum Research plant in Pillager, MN daily. I would go with the BFR myself. I want the added mass, and the quality you get for the price is impressive. I've also never been all that big a fan of the super blackhawk. I now find myself leaning more towards the 500 jrh, rather than a 475.

Wheelguns 1961
05-11-2020, 12:31 AM
That is what I am saving my bfr money for, a 500jrh.

megasupermagnum
05-11-2020, 12:37 AM
That is what I am saving my bfr money for, a 500jrh.

That 5.5" barrel bisley model in 500 JRH sure looks nice. Alas, a Redhawk 44 magnum brings me to my personal recoil limits, so it may be a while before I can justify owning a BFR, even just for fun.

dhom
05-11-2020, 07:00 AM
I own a 475L in BFR and these are of good quality with tolerances held closely. I also own plenty of Rugers and FA's. I am not sure if you are used to shooting big calibers but, it takes some dedication and practice to shoot upper level loads. If you want a more packable revolver you are talking Ruger 480 in a SBH. There is no animal in North America the 480 won't handle. I believe most 475L shooters will agree with me that when you get 425 gr cast bullets up over 1200 fps the recoil gets rough. The 1200 fps I mentioned is for the most part all you are going to get for the 480 caliber and a fair chance all you are going to want. [these 480 level loads can also be shoot in the BFR] All said and done, IMHO get the BFR and get shooting.

wildwilly501
05-11-2020, 07:28 AM
I have both the BFR is a better built gun than the Ruger fit and finish but costs more.As far as size the BFR looks much bigger but its not.I thought is was too got the calipers out one day and measured is a little bigger in spots but its not much.

snowwolfe
05-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Have owned many Rugers and a few Freedom Arms and a BFR. Just a few days ago decided I wanted a 475/480 so purchased a new BFR Bisley with 6.5 barrel on Gunbrokers. It cost $1,029.
Rugers have always been hit and miss for me (and many others as well).
Freedom Arms are the pinnacle of factory revolvers and you pay for it.
The sweet spot is the BFR. Just as accurate, maybe even more so in some cases, than a FA.
BFR also includes a scope mount with each revolver. And they have a free spinning cylinder. The one I owned before had a superb trigger. Now that they offer a factory Bisley model they are even better in the larger calibers.
I will avoid buying Ruger revolvers in the future simply because their quality is hit or miss. Sure they make it right. But why cant they make it right before they sell them?

LIMPINGJ
05-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Very happy with my BFR.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asset.php?fid=215457&uid=279&d=1575840189

megasupermagnum
05-11-2020, 02:50 PM
I have both the BFR is a better built gun than the Ruger fit and finish but costs more.As far as size the BFR looks much bigger but its not.I thought is was too got the calipers out one day and measured is a little bigger in spots but its not much.

If nothing else, the Ruger SBH is advertised at 48 ounces. The BFR is advertised as 60 ounces or so. I have not measured both side by side.

megasupermagnum
05-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Have owned many Rugers and a few Freedom Arms and a BFR. Just a few days ago decided I wanted a 475/480 so purchased a new BFR Bisley with 6.5 barrel on Gunbrokers. It cost $1,029.
Rugers have always been hit and miss for me (and many others as well).
Freedom Arms are the pinnacle of factory revolvers and you pay for it.
The sweet spot is the BFR. Just as accurate, maybe even more so in some cases, than a FA.
BFR also includes a scope mount with each revolver. And they have a free spinning cylinder. The one I owned before had a superb trigger. Now that they offer a factory Bisley model they are even better in the larger calibers.
I will avoid buying Ruger revolvers in the future simply because their quality is hit or miss. Sure they make it right. But why cant they make it right before they sell them?

If you consider Freedom Arms a production line revolver, I would hate to so what you consider a custom. :kidding:

snowwolfe
05-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Plenty of dealers stock Freedom Arms, same as BFR's. And both Freedom Arms and BFR have custom order departments where you can go as crazy (expensive) as you like.

Visit Linebaughs site, his "conversions" start at $3,800 and can easily hit close to double that on his "higher end" models.
Now that's Custom:)

wildwilly501
05-11-2020, 08:02 PM
If nothing else, the Ruger SBH is advertised at 48 ounces. The BFR is advertised as 60 ounces or so. I have not measured both side by side.Here's the measurements barrel dia. Ruger .77 BFR .82 Length of Cyl. Ruger 1.70 BFR 1.84 Width of frame in front of trigger Ruger .75 BFR .91 Dia. of cyl. Ruger 1.73 BFR 1.78 Height of frame opening Ruger 1.76 BFR 1.81 length of frame opening not including barrel Ruger 1.9 BFR 1.95 The Ruger is a .44 Mag.Bisley hunter the BFR is a standard frame .475 The weight is Ruger 64 ounce BFR 66 ounce BUT the Ruger has a 2x Leupold with steel rings and The BFR has a Ultradot with aluminum base and rings so the the bare weight of the BFR would be more.But like I said dimension wise there's not that great of difference.

megasupermagnum
05-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Here's the measurements barrel dia. Ruger .77 BFR .82 Length of Cyl. Ruger 1.70 BFR 1.84 Width of frame in front of trigger Ruger .75 BFR .91 Dia. of cyl. Ruger 1.73 BFR 1.78 Height of frame opening Ruger 1.76 BFR 1.81 length of frame opening not including barrel Ruger 1.9 BFR 1.95 The Ruger is a .44 Mag.Bisley hunter the BFR is a standard frame .475 The weight is Ruger 64 ounce BFR 66 ounce BUT the Ruger has a 2x Leupold with steel rings and The BFR has a Ultradot with aluminum base and rings so the the bare weight of the BFR would be more.But like I said dimension wise there's not that great of difference.

Thank you

Greg S
05-11-2020, 09:14 PM
I have a Freedom Arms 475. Look for one on GB and at shows. Picked up a 7.5" seven years ago for 13-1400, can't recall. There are deals out there, you just have to have cash and be able to move on them.

With that said, 85-90% of my shooting is a 390-420 at 1125-1200, easilly in the reach of the 480 Ruger.

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2020, 08:16 AM
ive never owned a 480. Have had two 475s built by John. That said I have handled bfrs and don't really care for them. Two big compared to a ruger. In all my shooting anymore and for the most part since I got into the 475 my loads have been 480 level anyway. A 480 will push a 400 grain cast lfn to 1200fps and elephants have been killed with loads like that. Make mine a ruger 480 with a 4 5/8s-5.5 inch barrel.

clintsfolly
05-12-2020, 11:16 AM
I have a BFR 475l and hated it till I sent it to Huntington for his fripframe frame mod. Now I love and enjoy shooting it. If you go BFR my recommendation is the Bisley grip frame over the plowhandle.

sac
05-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all the comments. After reading here and on Singleactions.com I am going to order the Ruger something about the BFR just seems off to me.

Thanks again

Wheelguns 1961
05-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Congratulations! If yours is as nice as mine, you will be very happy.

megasupermagnum
05-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the comments. After reading here and on Singleactions.com I am going to order the Ruger something about the BFR just seems off to me.

Thanks again

Ruger makes a great gun, but what seems off about a BFR?

sac
05-12-2020, 03:02 PM
Ruger makes a great gun, but what seems off about a BFR?

When ever I look at the pictures of them the bottom of the frame looks like it is at an odd angle.
Yes they do.

Targa
05-12-2020, 10:35 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with a .480Ruger, I have one in .454Casull but what is it about the BFR that seems off to you. For me I would take a .475Linebaugh BFR over a .480Ruger.

wildwilly501
05-13-2020, 07:57 AM
When ever I look at the pictures of them the bottom of the frame looks like it is at an odd angle.
Yes they do.I have two and know what you mean.Mine are both short cylinder guns so its not very noticeable on the long cylinder guns you really see it.But its just a minor thing and the BFRs are a very nice gun I've hoped that they would make a smaller framed model I'd gladly pay extra for one.

Fast Asleep
05-13-2020, 09:37 AM
I have put many thousands of rounds full-throttle cast loads though my 44 mag Super Blackhawk and was always very happy with it—until I acquired a 475 LB BFR. The BFR is very well done and is much more comfortable shooting full house loads.

snowwolfe
05-13-2020, 12:12 PM
The BFR is worth double what a SBH costs. But we all have a budget to follow and I understand that.

megasupermagnum
05-13-2020, 02:54 PM
The BFR is worth double what a SBH costs. But we all have a budget to follow and I understand that.

While I think the quality of the BFR is well worth the price, there are advantages to the SBH. While not an enormous difference, the SBH is smaller and lighter, espeically if you get the 4 5/8" barrel model. The BFR is only available in 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrels, and the way they measure is in reality closer to a Ruger's 7" and 8".

And the OP just likes the look of the Ruger better, nothing wrong with that. That's worth something.

sac
05-13-2020, 04:36 PM
While I think the quality of the BFR is well worth the price, there are advantages to the SBH. While not an enormous difference, the SBH is smaller and lighter, espeically if you get the 4 5/8" barrel model. The BFR is only available in 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrels, and the way they measure is in reality closer to a Ruger's 7" and 8".

And the OP just likes the look of the Ruger better, nothing wrong with that. That's worth something.

Yes the BFR might be the better handgun, but like I said when I see the pictures of them the bottom part of the frame and grips seem off to me, and I don't have anyone around for me to look at. Since it is cheaper I can afford to put some grips and mabey a banded barrel down the rode, and I have 6 Ruger single actions and a Super Redhawk already why brake tradition.
I do appriciate all of the comments, maybey this will quench my thirst so I can start saving for a custom.
Thanks Scott

megasupermagnum
05-13-2020, 07:34 PM
If you ever head north, Reeds in Walker, MN usually has a boatload of BFR's to fondle.

dhom
05-14-2020, 05:38 AM
Enjoy your purchase!

wildwilly501
05-14-2020, 08:08 AM
I might not have bought a BFR but I wanted a .480 single action Ruger at the time only offered double action. I even emailed them didn't get much of a answer.So I bought the BFR .475 with 6.5 barrel. Shortly after the Ruger Single Action .480s were introduced.I don't regret buying the BFR I think it is a better made gun than the Ruger I have 7 Ruger single action not a lot but enough to make a comparison.I bought another BFR a 500 JRH with 5.5 barrel to me the shorter barrel gun is much nicer looking just looks right.I think Magnum Research should offer more barrel lengths in the non custom guns.One thing its hard to find someone who actually owns and shoots a BFR that doesn't like them.

missionary5155
05-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Good morning
We have two BFR's. One is the 475 and the other in .454. No regrets buying both of the BFRs.We have a bunch of Rugers also.
But the BFR's to me are easier to get very good accuracy. The cylinders align. The trigger / hammer timing is right on. The Rugers just do not to me have the precision the BFRs do. They are good. But the BFR's are just another step closer to fantastic.
And how many Rugers need the cylinder throats equalized... Or the barrels have a tight spot... I have dealt with it all. The BFR's were ready to shoot cast from day one.
Mike in LLama Land

sac
05-14-2020, 08:20 AM
The other thing I find odd about the BFR, they don't make the .475 in a shorter barrel. In 2016 John Quinn did a review of one with a shorter barrel.
Maybe down the road I can actually look at one and it might change my mind and get one in .500.

missionary5155
05-14-2020, 06:34 PM
Well if ya want a shorter barrel a hacksaw and a machinest square and some stone work and you have got it.
I think in my time I have wacked 20 barrels and never ended up saddened about it.
But when firing a 450 grain slug at 1300 fps I kind of appreciate that extra steel hanging out there.

lar45
05-18-2020, 07:52 AM
I would find a place that has both in stock and go with the one that fits your hand the best.
I have several Rugers and several BFRs. The Ruger Bisley fits me the best and is more comfortable when shooting heavy loads. The standard grip frame on the BFR is very close to the Ruger Super Blackhawk, it just has the rounded trigger guard vs the Ruger with the square back on the trigger guard.
The BFR will hit the knuckle of my middle finger, while the Ruger Bisley does not. I have not tried the BFR Bisley yet.
The extra weight of the BFR would be prefered if you are planning on shooting heavy loads.
When both the 480 and 475 are loaded to the same length, they have the same internal capacity, so both can reach the same velocities.

If you decide to get something from the BFR custom shop, be sure the specify what you want the actual barrel length to be. Factory BFRs are measured from the front of the frame, which adds an extra 3/4" to the overall barrel length.. When I had my 500JRH built, I wanted a 6" barrel, so I asked for a 5 1/4" barrel and got a 5 1/4" barrel.

sac
05-18-2020, 08:14 AM
I would find a place that has both in stock and go with the one that fits your hand the best.
I have several Rugers and several BFRs. The Ruger Bisley fits me the best and is more comfortable when shooting heavy loads. The standard grip frame on the BFR is very close to the Ruger Super Blackhawk, it just has the rounded trigger guard vs the Ruger with the square back on the trigger guard.
The BFR will hit the knuckle of my middle finger, while the Ruger Bisley does not. I have not tried the BFR Bisley yet.
The extra weight of the BFR would be prefered if you are planning on shooting heavy loads.
When both the 480 and 475 are loaded to the same length, they have the same internal capacity, so both can reach the same velocities.

If you decide to get something from the BFR custom shop, be sure the specify what you want the actual barrel length to be. Factory BFRs are measured from the front of the frame, which adds an extra 3/4" to the overall barrel length.. When I had my 500JRH built, I wanted a 6" barrel, so I asked for a 5 1/4" barrel and got a 5 1/4" barrel.

I just found out this weekend they had a custom shop, will have to look into it.

lar45
05-18-2020, 12:39 PM
I got the octagon barrel for my 500JRH, but instead of the octagon being full length, they stop about an inch from the frame and leave that part round. It looks like they have a build your own gun section of there website. If you don't see the options that you want, you can always call them.
My 500JRH started as a 50ae that I found on GunBroker for cheap. If you get the gun from them, you will pay full retail price.
Just something to think about...

snowwolfe
05-18-2020, 06:26 PM

Not in today’s world. I just purchased a BFR in 475/480. It was described as having a 6.5 inch barrel. The barrel measures 6.5 inches from one end to the other. But 8-10 years ago what you stated was mostly true.

lar45
05-20-2020, 03:20 PM
I guess it's been awhile since I've bought a BFR. I'm glad that they have changed there measurement system.
These are my older BFRs.
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/bfr-barrel/bfr-bbl-01.jpg

http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/bfr-barrel/bfr-bbl-02.jpg
Custom Shop 500 JRH with 5 1/4" barrel
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/bfr-barrel/bfr-bbl-03.jpg
45/454/410 with 5 1/2" barrel
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/bfr-barrel/bfr-bbl-04.jpg
475 with 6 1/2" barrel
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/bfr-barrel/bfr-bbl-05.jpg
500 S&W with 7 1/2" barrel
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/bfr-barrel/bfr-bbl-06.jpg
45-70 with 10" barrel

snowwolfe
05-20-2020, 05:05 PM
Lar45,
I think BFR got tired of replacing/cutting down incorrectly advertised barrel lengths. IIRC my 500 JRH was purchased in 2011 and as soon as I received it sent it back to BFR on their dime to have the barrel length rectified.
On another note, wished now I had never sold it when we moved out of Alaska.