PDA

View Full Version : Any Walther P38 (P1) mechanics?

Trapshooter
11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I have a Walther P1 (post war alloy frame version of the P38) which tossed the extractor and associated small parts to the four winds last summer. I found a set of replacement parts, and installed them myself, and went back to the range. After the third or fourth shot, this second set of parts followed trajectories similar to the first.

Finding the third set of parts wasn't as easy (or as cheap) as the second, but I have them now.

Other than keeping the parts in a drawer, and using the gun as a single shot, what is the trick to keep the replacement parts from flying away?

Thanks!

Trapshooter

KCSO
11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
The top covber is held on by friction and when the friction is lacking you need another fix. If you check Gunsmith Kinks you will find detailed drawing on how to PIN the top unit in place. This was a comon problem with the P38's and I have seen a nummber of fixes including one that came into the shop TACK WELDED.

Trapshooter
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the info on Gunsmith Kinks, I will find a copy. The cover over the firing pin and cartridge indicator isn't a problem, just the extractor. It looks to me like the extractor is held in place by a spring and a plunger pin in a detent in the back of the extractor. I thought about sharpening the point on the plunger, or making the detent deeper, but haven't modified any parts yet.

Trapshooter